RAF Refueler Question

dogsbody

While perusing through the IWM site, I came across this picture of an H-P Hereford with a fuel trailer parked in front of it. The doors on the forward end are open, showing what I would take to be a white interior. Now Airfix, with their Bomber Resupply kit, call for the rear compartment and the inside of the doors to be painted Humbrol 29 Matt Dark Earth.

I was just wondering what might be the actual colours of both interior compartments?

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.10269365.14103451

Chris

• Like 1

Some interesting if light hoops on the side of the refueller, and why is there a very heavy duty towng cable draped across the tank?  I presume that the  number inside the circle on the tank is 100, for 100 octane, so it is interesting to see that this was in use for the Daggers.  Plus the camouflage, presumably G3/G5 at this stage, has vertical stripes rather than the prescribed horizontal.

There is an article somewhere around here, I believe by Mike Starmer that puts a case for eau-de-nil on interiors of British refuellers. I’d go for that personally. Would love to see one of those refuellers in 48th.

I would go for the white interior as I am sure I have seen a better photo showing a better view and it looks a lot brighter than Eau-de-nil

The small two stroke engine and wheel  was a 'Racing Green' in colour if I remember rightly

I dont believe its a tow cable on the top rather the hose bent back on itself from the feed pipe located on the top of the tank; the same hose can be seen on the ground between the bowser and the port tyre.

The hoops, I also believe, restrained a 40 Gallon drum with the wooden chocks to aid it securely

Yes, such towed bowser did carry 100 Octane fuel and marked accordingly . . .. 

Edited by Mancunian airman

29 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

I would go for the white interior as I am sure I have seen a better photo showing a better view and it looks a lot brighter than Eau-de-nil

The small two stroke engine and wheel  was a 'Racing Green' in colour if I remember rightly

I dont believe its a tow cable on the top rather the hose bent back on itself from the feed pipe located on the top of the tank; the same hose can be seen on the ground between the bowser and the port tyre.

The hoops, I also believe, restrained a 40 Gallon drum with the wooden chocks to aid it securely

Yes, such towed bowser did carry 100 Octane fuel and marked accordingly . . .. 

If I recall correctly it was the inside of a bowser cab was normally Eau de Nil,  which obviously wouldn't apply to trailers.

Selwyn 

Edited by Selwyn

I notice in Dogsbody's post #7 that in the first two pictures, rather unusually, no one is wearing a hat/forage cap.

And, let's not forget that the bowser's and trailers were built by civilian companies not the RAF. Granted the interior colour

would be specified by authority but an alternative could be used in the case of shortages, I imagine.

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I notice in Dogsbody's post #7 that in the first two pictures, rather unusually, no one is wearing a hat/forage cap.

When I was in head-gear was to be removed whilst working around an aeroplane because

a, with a jet it could be sucked in if the engine was started

b. with a prop it could be whipped off the head and become a hazard being blown about

Yet most wartime pictures show the erks in headgear. 

Usually the forage cap which was replaced by the beret post VE day (ish).

I believe a fizzer could result from the lack of one!

It (probably) wasn't until the early days of Meteors and Vampires that headgear got banned.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:55 PM, dogsbody said:

Found another!

From the IWM:

large_000000.jpg?_ga=2.169198561.1902439

Chris

Sailors refueling an aircraft.  I like this picture! :)

Doors in both ends. Did the inside also look the same in both ends?

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1