Revell 1/72 Shackleton MR.3/Phase 3

AMB

I must admit I thought Adrian was referring to the Photo of the built up kit that has been shown, I did wonder if it was a Frog example myself.

Anyone who has the AEW.2 in the stash will know that these are latest tech kits.

Edited by 71chally

Looking at the instructions, the parts layout is clearly based on the  AEW kit, with replacement spures for the MR3. Much cheaper than doing anything with the Frog mould. I reckon the publicity shot comes from an engineering sample. 

17 hours ago, AMB said:

Far cheaper and I’ll bet that’s what they did! 

Quite clearly that has not been the case but even if Revell owned the moulds  (I seem to recall that when they re-boxed the Shackleton , Canberra and Gannet back in the mid-1990s they were loaned) I suspect that following the course suggested would be neither cheaper nor easier than starting from scratch or in this case using their existing AEW.2 as a baseline as was always accepted as being the route taken.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1

My understanding is that Revell started out with development of the MR.3, but chose to produce and market the AEW.2 first.

The kits were clearly developed together, and share many appropriate parts, an MR.3 bog window shows up on the AEW fuselage though!

• Haha 1

Revell erstellte eine komplette Konstruktion für alle Versionen des Shackleton.

Der Mk2 kommt zuerst, jetzt der AEW 3 und vielleicht in Zukunft ein Mk I.

Die FROSCH-Form ist jetzt in der Hand der ARK-Modelle.

modelldoc

Edited by modelldoc

...slightly mixed there over the Mk2 and AEW.3 thing, but a Mk1 would be fantastic!!  I guess the sprue and parts break down would actually allow for that, but would need new mid/rear fuselage halves if that is the case

15 hours ago, Vlamgat9 said:

I wonder if Dutch Decal will re release their SAAF decals. I have a set stored away but they’re almost impossible to come by nowadays.

SAAF Decals

Would that not be hate speech in the world we live in. 

areva

• Confused 1

On 04/07/2019 at 17:50, Des said:

Quite clearly that has not been the case but even if Revell owned the moulds  (I seem to recall that when they re-boxed the Shackleton , Canberra and Gannet back in the mid-1990s they were loaned)

I was told by a 'so-called' reliable source that Revell bought in the shots and reboxed the kits, but they did pay for some mould clean up. The Goodwin Lightship was the best it had been, since it was in the hands of Frog. Not that all this matters in the context of this discussion, as this Shackelton is an all new kit.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:07 PM, 71chally said:

My understanding is that Revell started out with development of the MR.3, but chose to produce and market the AEW.2 first.

The kits were clearly developed together, and share many appropriate parts, an MR.3 bog window shows up on the AEW fuselage though!

I think this was right - Airfix released the MR.2 first (when I think everyone wanted the AEW) so then Revell released their AEW to steal a march on Airfix releasing theirs! Who'da thunk multiple mainstream IJ Shacks a few years ago mind!

• Like 2

My MR.3 landed on the doorstep this morning care of Mr Postie. :thumbsup:

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 2

Just got mine, and what a beauty it is.

Apart from the two options given, Phase III and Phase III(Viper) it also has other small parts included, such as the fairing for the very early roof mounted DF aerial and the very last mod made to MR.3s, the rear under box for the final radio altimeter fit.

With reference material to hand it should be possible to build every iteration of the Shackleton MR.3.

I can see a few of these being built here, hope there will be some good aftermarket decal options coming. 

Time for my trusty 50 year old Frog kits to gracefully bow out 😥

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1

I’ve just ordered one of these kits, however will need to wait somewhere between 2-4 weeks before it arrives down here. Does anyone know of a website review that shows (at least) the kits decals? I’ve got a PDF copy of the instructions and do agree that with the added benefit of the Vipers, this looks like a fantastic kit! 

Cheers.. Dave 

On 8/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kampartiger said:

Now that Revell have completed the last variant of the Avro Shackleton, hopefully they have plans for the Lockheed P2V Neptune series with interchangeable parts just like the Shacks.

Do not forget, there was also a Shackleton MR1 and I believe the sprues reflect possibilities for a MR1 to be made, would need a new fuselage, have to see what the future holds

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone know of a website review that shows (at least) the kits decals?

Cheers.. Dave 

I can scan them later today, they are pretty stock for the mid to late MR.3 period. 

Both Dark Sea Grey with white roofs and the full 'Royal Air Force' titles, WR975 with 206 Sqn Kinloss 1965 as '206 S' and XF703 with 42 Sqn St Mawgan as 'J' .  They look as good as their AEW.2 set.

If you can get hold of the Aeroclub Shack sheet you can build every MR.3 that saw Coastal Command service!

Thanks @71chally, since I typed that post I’ve actually come across this video - 

This shows the decals and contents pretty well. I appreciate the offer of the decal scam however I should be right for a while until I get my own kit. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

• Like 1