Revell 1/72 Shackleton MR.3/Phase 3

AMB

The one illustrated on the box (I think it's WR975 S) is a Phase III, but pre Viper fit.  Nice to see a 206 Sqn Shack!

Maybe Vipers are an option in the box?

Edited by 71chally

1 hour ago, thepureness said:

Glorious to see this and possibly a Cornish based aircraft as well on the box art.

If Revells markings research is right, then it is MR.3 Phase III WR975 S 206 Sqn St Mawgan, pre Spring 1966.

The built model shown should be Phase III Viper WR980 S of 206 Sqn Kinloss, post Spring 1966.

This will be kit of the year (or more!) for me,

I won't be the first to buy this kit, but it won't be for lack of trying. I can now cross this off my list of aircraft to be kitted (in new-mould form).

Regards,

Jason

• 1 month later...

Here's a link to download the PDF instructions. 

https://stage.revell.de/service/download-center.html

Scroll down to Artikelnr. 03873 and click on the link. The instructions show decal options for both Phase 2 and 3 aircraft. The kit is due for release the last week of July (€39.99).

Stages 39-44 of the instructions show two different outer nacelle options, both with and without the Viper. No SAAF decals in the kit.

https://www.revell.de/produkte-revell/produktvorschau/avro-shackleton-mr-3.html?utm_source=Mailingliste-DE&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Benetton-B194

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that link

I tried searching for shackleton, but nothing came up. I know it is at 3873, but was wondering how to find other instructions.

Maybe it is just me...

areva

1 hour ago, areva said:

Thanks for that link

I tried searching for shackleton, but nothing came up. I know it is at 3873, but was wondering how to find other instructions.

Maybe it is just me...

areva

You'll find it here:

https://stage.revell.de/fileadmin/import/images/bau/03873_%23BAU_AVRO_SHACKLETON_MR3.PDF

Note that both options are actually MR.3 Phase IIIs, WR975 S 206 Sqn a stock Phase III, and XF703 J 42 Sqn is Phase III Viper.

Great to see the 42 Sqn St Mawgan option, WR975 served at both St Mawgan and Kinloss as S with 206, so even better!

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 9:32 AM, Kampartiger said:

Wow,need for a lot of weight upfront for this particular beast!

30g according to the instructions.  At least there's plenty of room for it in the nose!

7 hours ago, 593jones said:

30g according to the instructions.  At least there's plenty of room for it in the nose!

Maybe even the engine nacelles too? As long as the weight is forward of the main wheels it should work.

Allan

But the nose is far preferable if it can be fitted in, which seems likely given those chubby cheeks. You need twice as much weight in a nacelle to provide a given moment as you would need in the front of the nose, and there's only so much weight you can expect the undercarriage to take over time

• Like 2

I suppose it depends on how you model the kit, if you want to depict the nose area open and detailed then you would be hard pushed to get the weight in.  

Luckily, in reality the MR.3 has a bulkhead with a door right behind the gunners seat.  I would definitely go the nose weight route, so as to keep the overall weight down.

48186771681_c67338ec21_c.jpgShackleton MR.3 gunners position by James Thomas, on Flickr

48186771476_eeb384f54e_c.jpgShackleton MR.3 gunners position by James Thomas, on Flickr

Can't wait to get these, I have three on order!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2

Looking at the photo, the cynic in me thinks that  if I was Revell and had the old FROG Shack tooling, I would just tart it up and remove all the rivets and make other improvements, rather than start from scratch. Far cheaper and I’ll bet that’s what they did! 

10 hours ago, AMB said:

Looking at the photo, the cynic in me thinks that  if I was Revell and had the old FROG Shack tooling, I would just tart it up and remove all the rivets and make other improvements, rather than start from scratch. Far cheaper and I’ll bet that’s what they did! 

Looking at the PDFs instructions on Revell's website, I say this kit is not remotely connected with the Frog kit.

Tommo.

9 minutes ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Looking at the PDFs instructions on Revell's website, I say this kit is not remotely connected with the Frog kit.

Tommo.

I would have hoped not !! Its time for the FROG tooling to be gracefully retired now.