Revell 1/72 Shackleton MR.3/Phase 3

AMB

A friend told me that that Revell have asked him for photos of a Shackleton MR.3 Phase 3. Now unsure if they plan to revamp the old FROG mould that was last marketed by Revell, or if this will be a completely new mould?  

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

Keep calm and carry on.

Revell has release the Shackjleton MR2.

Okay. in the pipeline are all the other versions.

Mr 1  and MR 3.

BUT;

if they are release this kits, only the managent can give you an answer.

modelldoc

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The wing of the AEW.2 is more representative of the MR.3 as well.

Don't think so!   

Fair bit of difference in the ailerons and wing tip tanks on the 3.

Same wing on Mk1 and 2 except for minor differences such as landing lights.

A new tool MR3 would be very welcome.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Don't think so!   

Fair bit of difference in the ailerons and wing tip tanks on the 3.

Same wing on Mk1 and 2 except for minor differences such as landing lights.

A new tool MR3 would be very welcome.

What I think VMA131Marine was trying to say is that the wing of the Revell AEW. 2 is more representative of the MR. 3 (from reviews I think some of the panelling and fuel filler point detail in the Revell kit is more Mk. 3 than Mk. 2).  I’m sure someone can put me right on this.  

And yes, a new tool Mk. 3 would be very welcome.

Edited by stever219
Can’t type aqurattli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, stever219 said:

What I think VMA131Marine was trying to say is that the wiling of the Revell AEW. 2 is more representative of the MR. 3 (from reviews I think some of the panelling and fuel filler point detail in the Revell kit is more Mk. 3 than Mk. 2).  I’m sure someone can put me right on this.  

Thanks for interpreting! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 10:14 PM, stever219 said:

What I think VMA131Marine was trying to say is that the wing of the Revell AEW. 2 is more representative of the MR. 3 (from reviews I think some of the panelling and fuel filler point detail in the Revell kit is more Mk. 3 than Mk. 2).  I’m sure someone can put me right on this.  

duff gen, it is a Mk2 wing in the kit, I seem to recall that one wing tank is misrepresented - a smidge of filler would solve if really fussy.

Mk3 wing quite different. 

My understanding was that Revell was always going to do the MR.3, and there are parts of the kit that suggest this, like the bog window on the aft stb'd side and the fore and aft fuselage split.

I really hope that they do produce this, as much as I love the dear old Frog kit.

31 minutes ago, 71chally said:

duff gen, it is a Mk2 wing in the kit, I seem to recall that one wing tank is misrepresented - a smidge of filler would solve if really fussy.

Mk3 wing quite different. 

My understanding was that Revell was always going to do the MR.3, and there are parts of the kit that suggest this, like the bog window on the aft stb'd side and the fore and aft fuselage split.

I really hope that they do produce this, as much as I love the dear old Frog kit.

I hadn't realised how different the MR.2 and MR.3 wings were until I purchased the Aeroclub Mk.2 conversion set for the FROG kit.  The amount of work involved in order to convert the wing put me right off.  Likewise the nose contours which would have been even harder.  

Anyway, this is great news if it is going to happen.  Being in the process of building a Mk.3 and having first sanded off all the rivets, re-scribed it, scratch built a main undercarriage leg (bought kit from ebay - the naughty vendor neglected to tell me it was missing various parts and I didn't realise until I'd given him a positive review!), bought Aeroblub's conversion set as a way round this problem, realised it was too much work and beyond my skills, purchased the Aeroclub propeller set to deal with same missing parts problem and used (so far) about 10 gallons of filler, I like to think that my sacrifices have resulted directly in Revell's decision to produce a new, state of the art kit of the type.  Don't all thank me at once. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

The good old days before 'rivet counters' !

I have compared the Frog with the real thing, the rivets are pretty much in the right place, just a tad oversized!

It has to be said that the original Frog molds are far finer than the ghastly repops and to me the kit just looks wrong without those rivets - like a Shack with a Brazilian!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well, I bought the Viper conversion kit for the MR3/3 upgrade and converted one engine so far...……………………...I imagine that having got this far with the upgrade that the imminent Revell Mk 3 will be a version already fitted with said modification...……………..:wall:  Aaaaaaaah   

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

...what ever you do though, don't put 204 Sqn stickers on an MR.3!

There's something about the display example shown, especially around the cockpit area, that strikes me of the Frog one, but probably the photograph.  Unfortunately the shot doesn't give anything away as to whether it is a Phase III (Vipers).

Can't wait for it's release.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:32 PM, dalea said:

Not again! I've got a Transport Wings Phase Three conversion and bought a Frogspawn Mk.3 specially for it. Now to go on another round of buying.

Edited by Meatbox8
Realised I'd already made the same comment!

20 hours ago, 71chally said:

...what ever you do though, don't put 204 Sqn stickers on an MR.3!

There's something about the display example shown, especially around the cockpit area, that strikes me of the Frog one, but probably the photograph.  Unfortunately the shot doesn't give anything away as to whether it is a Phase III (Vipers).

Can't wait for it's release.

Now that would be embarrassing for Revell if those stickers are in the kit release.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...