Ki-61 Hien "Tony"

Ready for inspection is my Ki-61 Hien Tony. I received this kit as a birthday present and was looking forward to attempting the infamous camo pattern. Although relatively simple the kit is an old tool, therefore there was a lot of flash and mole hills for rivet detail. Once built, I tackled the camo pattern free hand and was pleased with the way the Vallejo green sat on the silver. I have fashioned a stand for the aircraft (details of this are in my WIP thread). All in all it has been a nice challenging build, and I'm more than happy with the result. Thanks for looking.

IMG_20181118_084619

IMG_20181118_084626

IMG_20181118_084630

IMG_20181118_084639

IMG_20181118_084655IMG_20181118_084659

• Like 23

Nice model - 1/72 I guess. Is it the old Revell kit? Just a few suggestions: You may want to add the yellow warning stripes on the prop blades (1 mm from the tip and 1 mm broad) - they make the model livelier - and the complete tail was red, including the stabilizers and elevators (top and bottom), but that's easy to correct.

Edited by Toryu
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done Tony.  The freehand spray job looks great.

Can I ask whether the Vallejo you use was the ready-thinned Model Air? What pressure do you use? I have been stocking up on that type of paint, and have got some freehand schemes to tackle in my not-too-distant future...

Regards,

David 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dazey said:

Very nicely done Tony.  The freehand spray job looks great.

Can I ask whether the Vallejo you use was the ready-thinned Model Air? What pressure do you use? I have been stocking up on that type of paint, and have got some freehand schemes to tackle in my not-too-distant future...

Regards,

David 

Hi David, I am using Vallejo model air, some colours appear thinner than others (as with most paints), that said I still think it down 5 drops of paint to one drop of Vallejo thinner. I am currently using 12psi with my Badger renegade krome.

Many thanks,

Michelle.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Nice model - 1/72 I guess. Is it the old Revell kit? Just a few suggestions: You may want to add the yellow warning stripes on the prop blades (1 mm from the tip and 1 mm broad) - they make the model livelier - and the complete tail was red, including the stabilizers and elevators (top and bottom), but that's easy to correct.

Hi Toryu,

Thanks for your comments. It is indeed 1:72, and the old Revell kit (someone on my WIP thread suggested it was from the 60's). I decided to build it as the instructions suggested making it a total obb build, hence the tail. However, you are totally correct about the prop.......I have just realised that I missed it on the instructions.

2018-11-18_11-11-55

Many thanks,

Michelle.

Edited by Shelliecool
I made an error

33 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi David, I am using Vallejo model air, some colours appear thinner than others (as with most paints), that said I still think it down 5 drops of paint to one drop of Vallejo thinner. I am currently using 12psi with my Badger renegade krome.

Many thanks,

Michelle.

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll need to try lower pressure spraying (and a bit of thinning) for the freehand schemes.

Regards,

David

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Hi Toryu,

Thanks for your comments. It is indeed 1:72, and the old Revell kit (someone on my WIP thread suggested it was from the 60's). I decided to build it as the instructions suggested making it a total obb build, hence the tail. However, you are totally correct about the prop.......I have just realised that I missed it on the instructions.

Many thanks,

Michelle.

Hi Michelle,

The kit is definitely from the sixties. It was my second model ever which I built in 1967 (the first was the Revell P-51D). I was so impressed by the box art with the Fuji in the background that I never got away from Japanese aviation subjects.

And I am still a P-51 afficionado, too. What simple things can influence a boy's life...

Cheers, Michael (Toryu)

• Like 1

I remember seeing that  Revell kit in my local shop back in the 60's.

it was a choice between the Kawasaki or a Tempest, Tempest won!

You made a lovely job of that Michelle. 😊

• Thanks 1