After Market

Bryan71

Looking at buying this Academy 1/35 Tiger I Early Operation Citadel # 13509

Wanted the Dragon version but they are going for silly money.

Just wanted to ask the best place and what extra’s I can buy such as a metal barrel.Thanks

If you were to go for the Dragon kit you’ll probably not need much in the way of AM fella, except for the tracks the DS tracks are not that great. They have a tendency to break apart after a while and they don’t like mineral based paints and weathering products. I really rate the Dragon Tiger and it’s regarded as one of the best available, as I said it’s so well appointed out of the box the only thing you’ll probably need is good set of tracks.

Im not familiar with the academy kit and what you get in the box but I’d still go for some aftermarket tracks and a barrel, Aber make great turned barrels along with RBM. Hannants sell Aber and models for sale sell RBM. Also have a look at Historex as they sell Fruil tracks along with Aber products, they will probably stock most things that you would want tbh.

Just a side note I have a Dragon Tiger 1 up for sale on the forum, it’s the limited edition Alfred Kurzmaul boxing.

Dan 

The Academy Tigers are generally well reviewed and, as you say, very much cheaper.  For the uber-purists, there are loads of after market parts you could use and you could spend £££ hundreds. 

I'm not sure there's a huge benefit to a photo-etch set for a Tiger except for engine grilles, which are often included anyway.  Things like tool clamps can easily end up looking far worse than the kit parts.

I don't like vinyl tracks of any sort, and the Dragon DS type are getting an increasingly bad rep.  Dragon are now phasing them out.   Academy do a plastic link set for their Tiger and there are other resin and metal brands.  But you'll pay more for a set of metal or resin tracks than you paid for the kit.

A replacement metal gun barrel, and probably hull MG barrel too, is usually a good thing.  I use RB Models unless it's something they don't do.  Much better value for money than most other brands.  Wire rope tow cables are always better than moulded plastic or string.  Eureka XXL do just about every tow cable type you might need: copper wire with resin ends.

As for where to get them, many after market parts are not as widely available in the UK as you might like.  FoG Models stock some RB, but never seem to have what I want when I want it.  There are a couple of UK sellers on eBay who have them, Wildcat's Models being one.  They also stock Eureka.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/wildcatsmodels.  Also Model Parts Shop, here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/modelspartsshop.  I've dealt with both of these before with no problems.

However I tend to get my RB and Eureka and other harder-to-find brands from Jadar Hobby in Warsaw.  Cheaper, but of course there is shipping.  And once we leave the EU, who knows?  But I tend to save up a list of things I want, which makes the shipping more attractive.  Modellbau Koenig and Der Sockelshop in Germany are also good and both stock a huge range, but again there is shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, Dragon has the market cornered on the Tiger l.  Stupid money though and you still need to buy tracks.  For most people, the Academy kit is pretty good, includes a basic pe set with grills, tool holders, etc and is more affordable.  You will probably want a barrel and tracks (which you will need for the Dragon, as noted).  I am in North America so my only suggestion would be eBay - not popular with everybody but more modellers from the UK are sure to pipe up.

Edited by Jerry V

You can sometimes source Dragon kits through eBay for 50-60$ including shipping. The recent domestic Panther kits from China included DS and Magic tracks. Don't know for Tigers though. The afv club Tiger kit is really nice. But with your upgrades it might get expensive.