Fresh start - Fujimi Nissan Silvia H.T.RS

Hi guys,

After moving house 2 years ago I've not touched a thing model wise due circumstances. I do currently have a WIP thread for a McLaren F1 but want to get my skill level up before finishing it so this is why I'll do this first.

It's an older kit I picked up recently not that great a mould by the looks of the plastic. Soft panel lines, flash and just bits that have just plain gone wrong.

So a good kit to practice on! 

kTkdJP.jpg

First up was removing the seam lines of which there are a few.

xwu12I.jpg

The front spoiler is a nightmare. A big chunk mis moulded on the front right hand side and the front left inside a mess of plastic that will need some work to make sit smoothly.

InJIj2.jpg

204CWf.jpg

So I've rescribed the panel lines (something I need to practice. Slipping with scriber = 😠) and tidied up the seams. I'm not sure if I'll glue the spoliers then paint or paint them separately and add later.

CW94rs.jpg

Cheers,

Homer

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

Lol going by scalemates this iteration of the Silvia came out in 1985. No wonder the kit moulding is pretty average 😊

Looks like it's an ideal subject to hone your skills with!

I'll take a seat at the bar and watch you turn this into a masterpiece!

Roger

• Like 1

So I've cracked on and done a bit more today. I cleaned up a few parts off a very flashy spru and cleaned up some pretty average quality parts.

Flash city for this Spru

j6Udjx.jpg

I cut the seats out which had some horrible seams on them and went to work. Before and after pic.

X2Nt48.jpg

So then I did a dry test fit of the centre console, front and rear seats along with the dash. I am not joking when I say these have got to be some of the worst instructions I've seen with the parts not really fitting anywhere and the actual interior floor goodness knows what it is supposed to be.

The interior floor after priming. The front of the car is the bottom of the picture. Lovely detail (not really lol).

Tcnwn5.jpg

All seam lines are gone and body primed with 2 coats of Stynlrez grey primer.

YrY9du.jpg

I'm happy with how the primer has gone down and the general sanding I did of the body however I have my self inflicted scribing mishaps to fix.

First is the fuel cap where I slipped a couple of times while rescribing with the Tamiya plastic scriber (which I hate. So unwieldy to use and scibes not that great). It looks worse in the pics than reality.

VBgapL.jpg

Next is a slip scratch at the top of the windscreen.

daln9e.jpg

The front seams are gone with it looking pretty good. The roof looks pretty good too (apart from my scribe slip near the windscreen).

7Dgro0.jpg

i3BTCY.jpg

I am not sure what to do about the rear spolier. I don't think creating a seamless transition from the boot lid to it is correct as I'm sure these were a bolt on item. It looks good in realty but the pics makes it look not great. Should I fix it or leave it?

SuiYTH.jpg

The black underbody has been primed and ready for painting/detailing.

MajlkB.jpg

And seats, wheels, dash etc primed.

ns5xsy.jpg

Jj3V6C.jpg

So that's all for now. She's a bit of a dog of a kit when it comes to moulding, fiting and instructions. 

What do you guys suggest I do to fix the scribe slips? Putty and sand? What is a better rescibe tool to use?

Thanks guys 😁

Homer

I would fix the scribe slips, you are making a silk purse from this sows ear!

I use a Bare Metal scriber and an Olfa scriber.  The Bare Metal one is shown herewww.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bare-Metal-Panel-Scriber-Bare-Metal/401528942724?hash=item5d7cfd7084:g:J90AAOSwfo9a4xiI:rk:2:pf:0 I find good for use in tight fine line areas.

Hope this of some use.

Roger

Edited by Hamden
  • Like 1

Personally I would just leave the boot spoiler as it is - as you say it's a bolt on item so wouldn't fit seamlessly even if applied at the factory.

I can't claim to be an expert on fixing bits, but putty plus sanding sounds as good a way of fixing the slips as any. One thing from looking at the photos (and I may have this completely  wrong, apologies if so), but from the looks of the scribing it appears as though you're putting a fair amount of pressure on and trying to scribe in one go? As I said, I'm no expert but when I have tried scribing I've generally done quite a few light runs along the groove rather than trying to do one heavy run - that way if I do slip the damage is minimal and it seems to give a cleaner line (see my ongoing Trabant thread if you want to see the sort of edge you can get that way - I don't want to breach etiquette by dropping one of my builds in your thread). Like you, I have the Tamiya scriber but I don't find it too bad to use - it just doesn't respond well to putting pressure on the plastic,.

• Like 1

Found this thread on BM: 

It may help you. Personally I use the one from Trumpeter, it's quite nimble but I've made some slips too, probably because of inferior technique 🙂 

I fill them with a bit of "thinned down" filler, not too much. The thread about panel scribers mentions a method of softening the panel lines somewhat, it was new to me (but a lot is new to me, to be fair). 

Apart from the scribing mishaps, which are fixable of course, I really like what you're doing here. Should come out as a great looking '80s car!

• Like 1

Mistakes with scriber fixed up Mr Surfacer 500 and then resanded to check.

vmA9lg.jpg

51c3Et.jpg

I feel like a panel beater shop lol

mVevCJ.jpg

Pyjcof.jpg

8udFxW.jpg

ByIoRR.jpg

So after sanding back I have a go at rescribing out the filler and dust that inevitably gets into the panel lines. What do you know.....slipped again! Grr so rinse and repeat again :(

8SvTLw.jpg

That's much better. So another coat of primer goes on.

W393FW.jpg

DSKKoO.jpg

tKzD8z.jpg

Now that looks a LOT better :)

So then I painted the seats, dash and centre console in Mr Hobby H37 Wood Brown and then the underbody in H18 Steel.

C1l5cz.jpg

uEGJC1.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Good colour choice on the interior. What colour are you planning for the body?

I'm thinking BMW Crystal white as I have it already in Gravity Colors paint (which is the brand of paint that I used on my McLaren F1) so this will get me back up to speed to complete that kit.

https://www.gravitycolors.com/product/bmw-crystal-white-pearl/

heFwKo.png

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

That should come out rather nicely I reckon! I really like the angular look of this Sylvia.

Yea it's the classic Japanese 80's 2 door coupe. The moulding is pretty bad but I'm confident it should look pretty darn good when it's finished :)

I found a pic of the real rims which apparently were all the rage in the day and quite exclusive. 

xkI74l.jpg

Quite a bit of work in getting the panel lines sorted out, but looks as though it was worth it in the end. Good job!

I'm another one who likes the S12 Silvia. I've been after the coupe Gazelle/Silvia kit from Aoshima since I got back into the hobby but it didn't seem to exist. Then they reissued it:D, and Hiroboy got it in stock... just as I had to spend a load of money on the house. By the time payday came around again, they were out of stock🤬

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Spiny said:

I'm another one who likes the S12 Silvia. I've been after the coupe Gazelle/Silvia kit from Aoshima since I got back into the hobby but it didn't seem to exist. 

Hey Spiny I’m pretty sure I’m building a S110 Silvia.

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

Ok Well I have run into a bit of a snag with the Gravity Colors clear coat system. It's been 2.5 years since I bought them and both of my activators for the clear coat have gone completely rock hard even though they have not been opened. That is REALLY REALLY annoying! Grrrrrrr :suicide::rant::rant:

Can I substitute anything else?

Cheers guys....

Hmm and the pearl white pigment is no longer there either doh! So basically all I've ended up with is a metallic grey Stynlrez colour.

Not good. I may just try and paint over it with white primer and them just spray the flakes onto it.

Hmmmm very disappointed about the paint being off.

6DpFoz.jpg

ZiSswR.jpg

ogxH66.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer

12 hours ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

Hey Spiny I’m pretty sure I’m building a S110 Silvia.

My mistake - I was only in primary school when the S12 Silvia came out and don't remember seeing any earlier ones, so I just made a dodgy mental leap from '1980's Silvia' to S12!

Colour seems to work well - are you planning on washing the panel lines?

Painted over with Porsche white now. Lots of small dust particles in the paint which I'll attempt to lap out with 3000 lapping paper.

I suppose that is the correct way to get rid of dust?

ZEbxTM.jpg

KlQUFc.jpg

fvzVo5.jpg

After a light 3000 lap I'll maybe try a pearl over the top.

Well I lapped the paint and then applied the pearl over the top. Wow oh wow, keeping dust out of the paint is a real pain!

Anyway, I think it looks really good although white pearl is a very hard paint to photograph.

DyVq2E.jpg

E3wHW4.jpg

iRI2w0.jpg

Edited by Homerlovesbeer
  • Like 4