zvezda ilyushin Il-86 questions

Does anyone know if there are any window decals for the ilyushin il-86 that are not set into the ubiquitous aeroflot blue stripe that to has proved to be so popular with the livery designers? Or is it possible to use the windows in the kit to good effect? I am planning a Palair Macedonian whif paint scheme. 

Edited by dadofthree
Fat fingers

Hi,

There are windows on the Revell IL-86 decal sheet which aren't in a cheatline if you can get hold of one of those.

http://dacoproducts.com/R53Dg.jpg

Alternatively, I would imagine you could use these 

https://www.authentic-airliner-decals.de/epages/17895661.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17895661/Products/D144-01

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Edited by Turbofan

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

Before someone tells me to sit in the corner wearing a conical hat with a big D on it, would I be better off using white primer for a red (humbrol 19) fuselage?

There's no such thing as a silly question!!

Personally I always use white primer for red paint. You can get red primer ( a sort of red oxide colour) from Halfords but I've never tried it. It's meant to be used with red automotive paint and I would be wary of it changing the final shade of Humbrol 19 which is an enamel with a relatively translucent pigment. White primer is the safe option. As a matter of general practice, if you're trying a new technique or using an unfamiliar product for the first time it's a good idea to experiment on a scrap model before tackling your masterpiece.

Dave G 

• Thanks 1

My plan was to use white primer so I will carry on with plan A. I am not a fan of red oxide primer which AFAIK is supposed to be used on rust patches before normal grey primer and paint to stop it rusting any further but it is hygroscopic which defeats the object of the exercise.

I have plenty of scrap 747 pieces to practice with so I am OK on that front.

I was once advised by a very good auto painter that the best primer colour for red or orange top colours was grey. Apparently it reduces the number of spray passes required to achieve a good solid finish.

I've not tried this on a model yet, preferring to stick with Dave's suggestion and sticking with white.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Before someone tells me to sit in the corner wearing a conical hat with a big D on it, would I be better off using white primer for a red (humbrol 19) fuselage?

I might come with the radical answer but lot of times I heard from car modelers that for the colors like red, orange or yellow the best primer is black. I tried it with 40k spacemarines as a primer for red and blue and quite like it. While black color is slightly changing the color to being a bit dark it creates quite a good contrast that is perceived as shadow and depth. 

PS: I was using black primer with Tamiya acrylic colors so have no idea how would humbrol behave.

Edited by Doom3r
  • Like 1

@Doom3r, funny you should say that as I am already planning to use black as the primer for a blue 748.

All paints to be used are rattle cans so hopefully there shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by Abandoned Project
clarification

• 6 months later...
On 18/11/2018 at 01:27, Skodadriver said:

If you're not determined to have a clear windscreen PAS do a "photo real" windscreen decal which would go quite well with the Authentic Airliners generic windows mentioned by Ian.

Dave G

Hey guys, sorry to go a bit off-topic, but have you ordered from PAS before?

The site is an in Russian and I have no idea how trustworthy they are. How is shipping, etc?

They have a great selection of Russian decals (and others to be fair, very large selection!) and I've been tempted.

Thanks!

I have ordered from PAS many times. Their service is efficient and reliable. Andrei is good to deal with and writes excellent English.

Google Translate is your friend for understanding the site although it seems to get stuck with things like "Add to Cart" buttons and you may need to switch between English and Russian when you are actually placing the order. The way it works is slightly unusual. You do your order on the site but don't pay at that stage. Andrei will send you an e-mail confirming the order and requesting payment via Paypal. Only then do you make your Paypal payment. Slightly strange but easy enough when you're used to it.

Be aware that the postal charges for kits are high and uneconomical for small orders. Also, the last time I ordered PAS were imposing a Paypal surcharge although I can't remember how much it was. If you order through the site they charge a flat rate of 350RUB (roughly £3.70) for worldwide shipping of decals which is a lot less that you would pay for postage if you bought their decals on eBay.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Thanks 1

On 06/04/2020 at 09:50, Shashman said:

Hey guys, sorry to go a bit off-topic, but have you ordered from PAS before?

On 06/04/2020 at 10:29, Skodadriver said:

I have ordered from PAS many times. Their service is efficient and reliable.

6 hours ago, Shashman said:

Hey Dave, sorry your reply slipped under the radar!

Thanks, that sounds like a good enough endorsement to me.

:offtopic::rofl:good to know that. Off to browse too.

• Like 1