Handley Page H.P 42W - 1:144 Airfix

Mig88

Here is a kit I built in the summer of 1994 for my dad. It's the Airfix 1:144 Handley Page H.P. 42W G-AAXC "Heracles" of Imperial Airways. It's an unusual subject for me since I don't normally build civilian aircraft and I'm not that interested in the inter-war period (although there are exceptions!). I built this under a deadline and completed it in just over a week with limited resources (I was at my dad's in Colombia) so it turned out to be an interesting experience. Fit of parts wasn't good and some gaps had to be filled. The kit was completely brush-painted except for the varnish which was an artist fixing spray. These are the only photos I have and they were taken by my brother back then.

Miguel

204u3h0AYlN6Ai7xcBsDRn6X2XRSzPAhMZ4op3Ix

nUB1BCFTd_Egulzy13K663Ce64oz7SqJzU2wQ7Pc

-R2Pvzcoc9N5j8Yrv8E8MZbmqVLG9l8mLaDM8iFn

UqdO3a6OmgW60qYyAyexzRENLEHbMd9rzFGeWeQO

• Like 42

I built one probably around the same time frame. The kit was of it's time. 

It has a particular place in my estimation. I was fortunate that one of my Instructors was an ex Imperial Airways pilot, one Captain PW 'Darby' Kennedy. He flew the HP 42 and Shorts flying boats.,..........

Sorry slight interruption, Ireland just beat the All Blacks☘️☘️🍾

He died aged 101 in 2016. He was a real link to a bygone era.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Well done!  I do love the HP.42, there's nothing else quite like it.

As a dedicated 1/144 builder I've been after one of those Airfix kits for decades but they've always eluded me one of these days I'll manage to snag one.  I just hope it will come out as nice as that!  :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Oh wow, what a great result, and so quick too. The paintwork looked fabulous.

Thanks so much for the link,

All the best, Ray

PS

On 11/18/2018 at 12:11 AM, Putty Animal said:

Well done!  I do love the HP.42, there's nothing else quite like it.

As a dedicated 1/144 builder I've been after one of those Airfix kits for decades but they've always eluded me one of these days I'll manage to snag one.  I just hope it will come out as nice as that!  :)

It has been re-issued as a Vintage release now, so you now have a chance, if you have not already opted for one! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1