F 22 Raptor Revell 1/72 pick me up...hopefully?

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

OK thanks folks.

A question for you lot.

The colour call out is this.

A = FS 36375 = XF 66

B = FS 36251 = XF 20

C = FS 36176 = XF 54.

Here are the colours.

Which Paint.

Here is the plan again.

Camo 1

What are peoples opinions?

All comments welcome.

Simon.

Not sure the source of the XF (Tamiya?) colors you listed, but there are definitely some discrepancies from the FS595 standards.

FS36375 is commonly known as Light Ghost Gray - used on US F-15s from the late 70s through the mid 90s, as well as most other US fighter and attack types in various schemes.

FS36251 is the lighter of the two grays in the "Mod Eagle" scheme adopted by fighter F-15s from the early-mid 90s on. This same scheme is used on the F-22, alhough the infamous Have Glass irridescent finish frequently alters the appearance depending on lighting and other factors.

FS36176 is the darker gray in the same Mod Eagle scheme.  This color is close to RAF WWII Ocean Gray.  Note there is a marked contrast between the two colors, much more so than the light/dark ghost grays on the earlier F-15 scheme.

This link gives you a rough approximation of the three colors:

http://www.colorserver.net/showcolor.asp?fs=36375+36251+36176

Note this is more useful for general hue (e.g. cool vs warm gray) and contrast between colors, but you shouldn't treat the screen shots as an exact match.

Checking the IPMS Stockholm cross-references, there don't appear to be "out of the bottle" matches in Tamiya's line for any of the three colors:

https://www.ipmsstockholm.se/home/urbans-color-reference-charts-part-i/urbans-colour-reference-charts-federal-standard/

Hope that info is helpful - looking forward to seeing your Raptor progress!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @CT7567 for the info.

I checked on a chart I down loaded a while ago, and the were the appropriate colours in the Tamiya range.

FS 36375 and FS 36176 are Mr Hobby Aqueous  H 308 and H 75 respectively .

I know that my local Hobby Shop Waterlooville Model Centre has go a range of Mig Ammo paints in so may look there.

And looking at that colour server I definitely got one wrong there.

Thanks again mate.

Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Thanks @CT7567 for the info.

I checked on a chart I down loaded a while ago, and the were the appropriate colours in the Tamiya range.

FS 36375 and FS 36176 are Mr Hobby Aqueous  H 308 and H 75 respectively .

I know that my local Hobby Shop Waterlooville Model Centre has go a range of Mig Ammo paints in so may look there.

And looking at that colour server I definitely got one wrong there.

Thanks again mate.

Simon.

Hey Simon, Paul also has a rack full of Mr Hobby? Those and some leveling thinner and airbrush happiness shall be yours. I'd rather use those than Senor Jimenez' sludge in a bottle...

39 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Hey Simon, Paul also has a rack full of Mr Hobby? Those and some leveling thinner and airbrush happiness shall be yours. I'd rather use those Senor Jimenez' sludge in a bottle...

Cheers Anil, I was thinking along those lines anyhow, I have a thing about bottled paints like Mig/Vallejo.

Simon.

18 minutes ago, azureglo said:

So do I. Its called a dustbin 🤣

Anil

Yeah, I have had issues with Vallejo paints, something about not being able to mix thoroughly LOL.

Will pop into Paul`s over the weekend and see what he has got.

Simon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Yeah, I have had issues with Vallejo paints, something about not being able to mix thoroughly LOL.

Will pop into Paul`s over the weekend and see what he has got.

Simon.

Have a good weekend, I'm down tomorrow for wining, dining and bandstand action with the Southsea Belles, yeah baby,  its (Glenn) Miller time!

Anil

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Have a good weekend, I'm down tomorrow for wining, dining and bandstand action with the Southsea Belles, yeah baby,  its (Glenn) Miller time!

Anil

Have a great time sir.

Simon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

OK thanks folks.

A question for you lot.

The colour call out is this.

A = FS 36375 = XF 66

B = FS 36251 = XF 20

C = FS 36176 = XF 54.

Here are the colours.

Which Paint.

Here is the plan again.

Camo 1

What are peoples opinions?

All comments welcome.

Simon.

Looks odd to me. The picture looks like a=light b=mid c=dark but the paint says different. Do you have a pic of the scheme . I guess the box? What do the colours look like?

we gots ta know. 🤔

good luck chief. 

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Ok. Just went to the first page and the scheme is a bit hard to see so I googled her. And it looks like light to dark like in the instructions. I’d ditch those colours and match em by eye or get non Tamiya solutions. 🤗

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ok. Just went to the firs page and the scheme is a bit hard to see so I googled her. And it looks like light to dark like in the instructions. I’d ditch those colours and match em by eye or get non Tamiya solutions. 🤗

Thanks @The Spadgent, You took the words out of my mouth.

A short walk to my hobby shop Waterlooville Model Centre , about 2 mins walk from here.

And got these.

These greys 1

These greys 2

They were the closest I could find the Mid Grey one was the awkward one, I managed to match the FS numbers on the other 2

Well , I had no time for testing these colour today but hopefully tomorrow I shall be able to report in with a longer update.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 5

Hi folks I am back.

Right, laid down some Dark Grey Mr Hobby 75.

No pics though.

Next I carefully replaced the masks I peeled off earlier.

Then sprayed this lot with Medium Grey Mr Hobby 306.

MG 1

Tail planes.

MG 2

Fins

MG 3

And the Doors, not those ones LOL.

MG 4

MG 5

Let that lot dry before masking up for the Light Grey edges.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

Happy Bank Holiday.

• Like 6

OK folks, a quick update.

Masks off.

BMO

Not bad, could do better.

Now the masking up for the Light Grey.

LGM

Just three more sides to do plus the tail planes.

So no more spraying tonight.

See you all tomorrow I hope.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 8

Thanks @SaminCam, @bbudde and @giemme.

Well they say tomorrow never comes , it`s true.

Life reared its ugly head again.

I finished the masking Monday night but had to wait until this afternoon to spray the Light Grey Mr Hobby 308.

LG 5

A buff up and respray I think.

The missiles though look OK.

LG 6

The same for the canopy .

LG 8

The tail planes are OK but a touch up needed.

LG 9

And the missiles uncovered.

LG 10

That is it for today I think.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 6

Looks like the colors you picked out are much better matches than the Tamiya test swatches.  FS36270, sometimes referred to as Neutral gray, is slightly lighter and cooler than the official FS36251 hence the higher FS number - the last three digits signify reflectance, thus generally speaking the lower digits are darker colors (the first digit is a finish code, 1-2-3 for gloss - semigloss - matte, 2nd digit is the predominant color e.g. 6 for grays).

In any case, without a fan deck to directly compare I'd say the colors you've gone with are a very good approximation, remembering the appearance of the real thing varies significantly depending on ambient lighting, viewing distance, and various other factors.  I'm taking for granted that you're not trying to replicate the Have Glass metallic/irridescent finish, which is a whole order of magnitude more complex (googling "raptor finish" or "raptor sheen scale" will turn up some articles if you want to know more and see how some modellers have approached this).

One question I have concerns the progress painting you posted of the Sidewinders.  It may just be work in progress but your photo seems to show the front halves in light gray and the rear in a darker gray color.  In reality for a live missile the body and rear fins should be overall FS36375 up to the seeker head and forward fins, which on an AIM-9L/M as depicted are an anodized metallic gray-green color.  Pic below shows the general finish (detail colors for the bands would vary on a combat round, blue indicates inert/training loads)

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Nikolay Polyakov, @The Spadgent, @giemmeand @CT7567..

Well not much time recently but had some time today to get a few bits done.

Right, the office first, decals and controllers added.

Office 1

Seat nearly done.

Seat 1

Weapon bay panel(s) painted.

WB 1

Tail fins cleaned up and unmasked.

TF 1

TF 2

And the bump stick painted, I know I missed a bit but painted that now.

BS 1

Hopefully , tomorrow I shall be able to varnish up the tail fins etc ready for decals/ washes .

Happy times are here again.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 5

Nice progress, Simon!

44 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Hopefully , tomorrow I shall be able to varnish up the tail fins etc ready for decals/ washes .

I look forward to see it...

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyable catch-up Simon.

That masking looks absolutely superb.

You should feel mighty pleased. :clap:

On 5/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, Spookytooth said:

short walk to my hobby shop Waterlooville Model Centre , about 2 mins walk from here

Perfect distance (no time to talk oneself out of a purchase..).

Reminds me of those adverts you used to get for curry houses bitd just before the main film came on the screen. They were always 'Just 5 minutes walk from this auditorium'...

• Like 2

Thanks @Nikolay Polyakov, @giemme and @TheBaron.

Yep, I am happy with the masking so far, there is some interesting stuff coming up with that side of things.

OK, here we are again.

Varnish time.

Tail fins first.

TF 3

U/C`s next.

UCV 1

Weapon bays next.

WBV 1

Followed by the drop tanks.

DTV

And finally , for now, the wheels.

WV 1