F 22 Raptor Revell 1/72 pick me up...hopefully?

On 07/07/2019 at 17:14, Spookytooth said:

Can anyone recommend a decent satin and Matt Varnish please, I am not happy with the Vallejo I am using at the moment.

I use my own mixture of Mr.HOBBY flat and gloss coats to control the shining. It’s usually 2/3 of gloss and 1/3 of flat, add the thinner at your own taste.

On 07/07/2019 at 17:14, Spookytooth said:

Anyhow, I have got to prepare tea now, so take care.

It’s a good idea at the evening, Simon - I’m in! 🍵

On 08/07/2019 at 16:50, Spookytooth said:

Well folks, I have a problem with Flickr by the looks of it. I cannot post any pics...

Sorry, I haven’t any ideas, but Flickr has a strange behavior sometimes...

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, Spookytooth said:

Well folks, I have a problem with Flickr by the looks of it. I cannot post any pics...

Comes with the phrase "identity.flickr.com redirected you too many times"

Any ideas please.

I have done more to the build, honestly .

Simon. 

I got an email from Flickr recently, that they were restructuring their service.  I didn't pay a lot of attention because I don't use Flickr much but I think they gist of it was they were cutting back on what you got without paying for a subscription.   If you were using the free service, maybe that had something to do with it?

Edited by mdauben
typo
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mdauben said:

I got an email from Flickr recently, that they were restructuring their service.  I didn't pay a lot of attention because I don't use Flickr much but I think they gist of it was they were cutting back on what you got without paying for a subscription.   If you were using the free service, maybe that had something to do with it?

I have a paid subscription mdauben, it runs out in Nov. But I may try another way around it.

Thanks anyhow.

Simon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Still no joy with Flickr.

But have continued a fair way.

Will post once I can, hopefully.

Simon.

Hello Simon,

Which browser did you use to access Flickr ?

I've had some bugs Internet explorer, now I use Edge and it work well.

CC

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Simon,

Which browser did you use to access Flickr ?

I've had some bugs Internet explorer, now I use Edge and it work well.

CC

Using Chrome dear chap, been in touch with F. now waiting for a reply.

Thanks for the reply .

Simon.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2019 at 3:14 PM, Spookytooth said:

Can anyone recommend a decent satin and Matt Varnish please, I am not happy with the Vallejo I am using at the moment.

It`s a pig to clean out and it doesn`t even out well.

I use Mr Color Super UV Cut III Matt + levelling thinner both of which Paul @waterloovile either has or can get.

If your Airbrush-Fu is strong you don't need a stain satin mix: As I'm starting with a super glossy model after decals its just about dulling that down no? For a sheen I spray light passes and dry during each pass till I get what I want, its that instant so here's a Luftwaffe satin/sheen from last week:

rear1.JPG&key=8d9385e2aa1b5e36fbd1859368

For matt, just build up the ultra light coats and dry as you go till you're happy. It can be handled immediately usually : here's a dead flat one from the week before

port1%2520copy.jpg&key=5a019c3d1db75e5b7

Clean up is cellulose thinners and with your H&S a full strip , immersion and ultrasonic blast is about three minutes. Given my completion rate of 3-4 a month, life is too short to futz about with voodoo acrylics , polyurethanes et al but I do   occasionally use Galeria Matt in exactly the same way as a backup  there's a whole load of science & explanation in this thread.

Have fun and toodle pip, the  production calls, got another two to finish for next wednesday...

Anil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, a quick update.

Masking in progress at the moment.

Sorry no pics until the end of August due to having to upgrade the computer.

Apparently XP`s days have gone and Flickr needs to be on a newer browser.

Oh well, will carry on and put pics in a folder until such time as I can post.

Until then , enjoy the weather.

Simon .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Well folks, a quick update.

Masking in progress at the moment.

Sorry no pics until the end of August due to having to upgrade the computer.

Apparently XP`s days have gone and Flickr needs to be on a newer browser.

Oh well, will carry on and put pics in a folder until such time as I can post.

Until then , enjoy the weather.

Simon .

Meh, wonderful and stable operation system but I suppose its time has come, its security is akin to the holes in swiss cheese. What about uploading from your phone directly to Flickr and posting via the phone? Most of my WIP threads are done that way on a positively ancient iPhone 6

Anil

Great work Simon. I’m slowly catching up with everyone’s builds. Glad the masking worked and even though the intakes seemed a struggle you won in the end. 🤩As for varnish I always use Tamiya rattle can. It never lets me down. Great stuff.

Johnny.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Apparently XP`s days have gone

Sadly so ... I switched to 7 pro (on my office PC) a few years ago, and still holding fast to that.... at home, I transitioned last year to 10 ,but I can't say I love it ....

Keep up the good job, the heat is going to pass, sooner or later :D 

Ciao

• Like 2

As above. XP was great. Also have Windows 7 pro here which is quite comfortable for me. It runs steady. Worked also with 10 but not really enjoyable for me. Vista was the worst of all (together with Windows 98)

For the heat: The peak should be today. So all doors  and windows closed, Vent on. Many drinks (various).

Cheers

• Like 2

16 hours ago, azureglo said:

Meh, wonderful and stable operation system but I suppose its time has come, its security is akin to the holes in swiss cheese. What about uploading from your phone directly to Flickr and posting via the phone? Most of my WIP threads are done that way on a positively ancient iPhone 6

Anil

I would do Anil, but alas my "Smart phone " is not that clever. It does not have enough memory or space to carry out what`s needed.

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Great work Simon. I’m slowly catching up with everyone’s builds. Glad the masking worked and even though the intakes seemed a struggle you won in the end. 🤩As for varnish I always use Tamiya rattle can. It never lets me down. Great stuff.

Johnny.

I have a phobia about rattle cans, especially Humbrol ones.

Although I have some Tamiya Primer in stock.

Modelzone clearance....

42 minutes ago, giemme said:

Sadly so ... I switched to 7 pro (on my office PC) a few years ago, and still holding fast to that.... at home, I transitioned last year to 10 ,but I can't say I love it ....

Keep up the good job, the heat is going to pass, sooner or later :D 

Ciao

19 minutes ago, bbudde said:

As above. XP was great. Also have Windows 7 pro here which is quite comfortable for me. It runs steady. Worked also with 10 but not really enjoyable for me. Vista was the worst of all (together with Windows 98)

For the heat: The peak should be today. So all doors  and windows closed, Vent on. Many drinks (various).

Cheers

Yep the heat is a bugger but we can survive , some how.

I knew that some day that I would have to bite the bullet and upgrade...

Windows Vista/8 were a pile of doggy doo , so now will go to 10.

Thanks all for the messages.

Simon, off to keep cool.

• Like 2

I've found that most folks who prefer Win7 to Win10 are concerned mostly with the start menu. For the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, you can make the start menu in Win10 look and perform exactly as in Win7 using a bit of software called Start10 from StarDock Systems. It's what I use and it's pretty slick. I paid $5 for it.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I've found that most folks who prefer Win7 to Win10 are concerned mostly with the start menu. For the price of a cup of coffee at Starbucks, you can make the start menu in Win10 look and perform exactly as in Win7 using a bit of software called Start10 from StarDock Systems. It's what I use and it's pretty slick. I paid $5 for it.

Cheers,

Bill

<rant mode on> I can live with Win10 start menu (not the APP style though, that just seems silly to me); what I don't like, besides the initial ( 🤨 ) stability and update problems is the fact that it looks like you need one or more extra steps to get where you want (network configuration is a good example for that, searching through system devices menu another). <rant mode off/>

It's good to know someone thought of something smart to address the start menu, though - thanks for the heads up, Bill :thumbsup:

Apologies for the digression, Simon - it must be this heat 😓

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi folks, I am back, have a bit of time on my hands so I will quickly post some progress.

Those templates I drew out a while back.

UBM 1

Well, cut and then placed on masking tape and copied .

Cut around the masks and applied.

UB 1

Then sprayed the Mid Grey on.

The result was this, after removing the masks.

Camo 1

Not to bad, a bit of lift here.

Camo 2

But nothing that a dab of paint won`t hide later.

That`s it for now.

When I uploaded the pics to the new computer it put them in chronological order instead of the nice and easy folders I had things stored in, bummer.

Anyhow have gathered up all the pis now and just need time to create a line of passage.

All comments welcome.

Simon.

• Like 9

On 07/09/2019 at 16:54, giemme said:

Very neat masking job, Simon! :clap: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks G. I knew that a it of for thought before would pay off.

On 08/09/2019 at 10:07, The Spadgent said:

Nice masks and paint too. Good luck with the new poot. 😇

John

I am getting there Johnny, just a case of finding things.

On 08/09/2019 at 11:03, stevehnz said:

That looks good, just as I've imagined it should look.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I am happy with it so far, but there is a lot to go yet.

• Like 2