HMS Ark Royal IV (or Eagle perhaps)

bootneck

Moving on to the next phase now, which is the start of the main hangars.  There are two hangars at the front of the ship but only the upper hangar is present at the rear.

spacer.png

It all looks a bit raggedy at the moment but floors and sides will have decks and bulkheads inserted when they are built.

spacer.png

Moving swiftly on, I have now reached frame 98 and this is a significant situation with the lower hangar.

spacer.png

The lower hangar access will be obstructed aft of frame 99 with the funnel uptakes.

spacer.png

This means that I shall have to spend some time building the lower hangar decks and bulwarks, plus fitting any shelving etc.,  otherwise I won't be able to insert them once frame 99 is fitted.

spacer.png

This is frame 99 and, as can be seen, the funnel uptake blocks off part of the accessway.

spacer.png

Fortunately, frame 98 is about the limit of visibility within the hangars as viewed from the forward lift, looking back, so that will be a good point to base the decks and bulkheads on.

spacer.png

I shall start making the hangar components over the next couple of days, ready for inserting into the spaces in the model. 

More later.

Mike

• Like 15

7 hours ago, bootneck said:

Fortunately, frame 98 is about the limit of visibility within the hangars as viewed from the forward lift, looking back, so that will be a good point to base the decks and bulkheads on.

frame_build_48_double_hangars_with_aircr

Crazy sharp work there, Mike. Looking good. 

• Like 1

Not much to report this weekend, although I have started to close up the decks over the cable deck. 

This thing is getting so big that I'm having difficulty finding a position to photograph it all.  The new (upper) frames are to the right of the rust-coloured frames.

spacer.png

The lighting seems to be affecting the quality of the photos as well. This is the best I can do to show the starboard side progress.

spacer.png

I hope to have more progress to report in the coming days, with better quality images, although it's our wedding anniversary tomorrow so I don't expect I will be allowed doing much modelling then.

Mike

• Like 11

Blooming heck Mike, this is a bit awesome, in the complete meaning of the word. I'm not sure how I've missed this before now, but I'm glad I've found it. Much as I'd have loved it to be Eagle as you heading shows as a possibility, seeing as I've actually seen her & walked her decks when she visited our shores about 47 years ago, I can understand the attraction of making this as the Ark Royal, with her longer life & more modern air wing. I'll be looking in on this from now on, you progress to date is impressive.

Steve.

• Like 1

Fantastic project Mike. 

Looks like you have made quite a lot of progress in 1 month so mojo must be back. 

Check out the bits you let me have over the summer for the landing ship under my HTMS Khram thread. Also progressing well. 

Colin 

Thanks again all, and Happy New Year to you.   My first report of 2019.............

I am continuing with adding the frames over the cable deck.  The back of the cable deck is at Frame 25 and I am working forwards, #25 down to #01 at the front.  Here we are with section 17 in place.

spacer.png

I'd better get on with it as the supervisor is watching over me!

spacer.png

I almost forgot to add the cables (anchor chains).  I wouldn't be able to achieve that once the decks over have been added; so a little deferment to address that.

spacer.png

Apologies again for the lighting which is discolouring the decks.  That area will be all closed in soon though.

Thanks again for looking in.

Mike

• Like 9

Not sure how I missed this before Mike but this is incredible - a real artform.  She'll be a real beauty when completed.  I will be following it with interest as you have a much better construction method than I used in my scratchbuilt BULOLO so I shall adopt your technique for future scratchbuilds

Just a thought but your last photo in  #59 brought it to mind.  Have you considered putting lighting into the hangars?

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Have you considered putting lighting into the hangars?

Thanks for the kind words, I have enjoyed following your build of the Bulolo.  I probably have a greater interest for merchant ships, especially cargo liners, than warships.  The problem is finding plans of them or even enough detailed photo's of them unless they are the big liners.  At least with warships, there are usually plenty of images, taken at all angles, which allows for photo-interpretation for measurements etc.

I had thought of lighting the hangars but, when considering that view in #59 is all that could be seen, it would not be worth the effort or expense to incorporate it.  Plus I would have to find somewhere to put the batteries and end up with an unconventional switch somewhere.

cheers

Mike

I mentioned earlier that access to the lower hangar would be restricted once I positioned the next frame in place.  This has meant that the hangar deck and bulkheads need to be built and inserted first, so I have been working on that.

Here are the first pieces of the deck and bulkheads

frame_build_56_lower_hangar_pieces.jpg

The bulkheads need some detail, such as access doors, shelves and pipework

frame_build_57_lower_hangar_pieces.jpg

The bulkheads have now been populated  with general stuff that is found in the hangar.  Whilst I was at it, I might as well do the upper hangar pieces at the same time

frame_build_58_lower_hangar_bulkheads.jp

Here is a view of how the part should look when glued together.

frame_build_59_lower_hangar.jpg

I will spend a bit more time adding stores, aircraft jacks and crates etc., before glueing it all together and inserting into the LHD space.

That's it for tonight.  Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 9

That is an accolade coming from you Massimo. :worthy:  My model will  (already does) look like a Lego kit compared to the detail in your aircraft builds.

Question:  does anyone know the type and dimensions of the low-level aircraft tug that can be found in the hangars?

Is there a plan or diagram of one anywhere that I can use?

spacer.png

Mike

• Like 6