HMS Ark Royal IV (or Eagle perhaps)

bootneck

I have some foamboard but it isn't as strong when compressed from the edges.  Also, I believe the foamboard only has a couple of thicknesses; whereas the distances between frames are varied from (scale) 4.23mm to 12.7mm. I  am finding that each frame is stronger using styrene sheet that has the plastic strips glued to it.  Thanks for the suggestion though. :winkgrin:

EDIT: I've just done a quick calculation.  I could get four frame sections out of an A2 sheet, which would give me sixteen frames per pack at £10.  There are 215 full size frames so that would cost around £135.

Mike

Hi Kev,

those sheets do look to be slightly cheaper, however the awkward sizes might not match my requirements.  The xxx x 228 is too narrow (these frame sections are averaging about 120 x 300), although the 660 x 660 could work.  I would have to check how much wastage around each cut there would be before I could be sure.   I shall make a some paper templates and see what I can fit into a 660 x 228 and a 660 x 660 sheet.  If either works without too much wastage then I'll probably make a tentative purchase.

Thanks.

Mike

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Wow! That gives an idea of size

True, and I haven't factored in the angled deck portion yet. The widest part of the model, including walkways should be about. 36cm (c.14 inches in old money).  Height up to the flight deck is 12cm (4.75 inches) and the island structure, complete with masts/radars, should add a further 24cm (9.5 inches).

Mike

• Like 1

I've bought from them at model shows and found them helpful, but there was a thread on Model Boat Mayhem a few of years ago which was very critical of the company, may be they had problems then, which have now been solved.

I think it may be the age old problem of a husband/wife doing the shows and all the work that entails i.e. travelling, unpacking, show, packing, travelling and processing orders from shows etc etc . . . . .

If you speak to some one and avoid telephoning around the weekends you've got a much better chance of a happy outcome.

Kev

• Like 2

I'm still plodding on with constructing all those frame sections, however I need to look at some of the modules, such as the Forward Hangar and the Forward Lift Well.   I need to check these as they will be dropped into the spaces provided for them in the frames, therefore it would be wise for me to do some checks now.

I have produced a template which shows the hangar with the Whirlwinds, as in the image in post #19.  I wouldn't be using these aircraft in this scenario but it is the only reference photo that I have found for the forward hangar.

Apologies for the image quality, my camera seems to react differently in different parts of the room.

spacer.png

The template has been cut out and inserted into the space for the forward hangar.

spacer.png

That seems to fit OK so now I shall start on constructing the module.  

spacer.png

I can now work out where to build the cage store, on the left, and the shelving units on the right.  Those Whirlwinds are a great help to identify positions and dimensions etc.

spacer.png

Once this module has been built I shall then put my mind to producing all the aviation impedimenta that can be seen dotted around in the photo.

That's it for tonight; hopefully I'll get to do some more tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Mike

• Like 9

Thanks Stuart.

the bulkhead doors at the back can just be made out in the photo, however it is too dark to make out any other salient items in that part of the hangar.  From experience, I'm sure there would have been a fair amount of pipes and trunking along the upper levels of the bulkheads but I haven't been able to find any other images to confirm that.

Mike

• Like 2

I've managed to do a bit more tonight but I must finish early and get tucked up in bed, :sleeping:   just so that Santa can see I'm being a good boy. :innocent:

The side walls of the lift well have been done....

spacer.png

and inserted, with the forward hangar module, for a test fit.

spacer.png

I'm not going to bother with much more on this section as the view will be minimal when the flight deck is in position.

spacer.png

A similar view to the image in post #19

spacer.png

That's it for tonight.

Here's wishing you all the happiest of festive greetings wherever you are.

Mike

• Like 15