HMS Ark Royal IV (or Eagle perhaps)

bootneck

• 8 months later...

Hello bootneck - I just stumbled across this model & am really impressed with your impressive & complex build - fantastic job - I have never contemplated anything other than possible flight deck bases for FAA aircraft models so am thinking this is going to be a good reference for that!

CJP

• Like 1

Hello CJP,

the build stalled for a while, mainly as I wanted to learn more about CAD and 3D printing, but now I feel confident enough to continue with this project.  Watch this space.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 5

Hi Mike,

Just spend some time to go trough the whole sequence of your WIP.

I admire you for keeping this project going. Incredible task to carry out. 

Good to read, that you did take some time off.

I got some more info from your work, regarding the elevators, colors and the arrester wires.

With the measurements and all other info, I can start with the project. Starting with the after elevator.

By the way, most favorite picture is the one with the whole squadron of Phantoms lined up on the deck.

I will be following this WIP with most interest.

Regards,

Orion (Dirk)

The Netherlands.

Admirer of the RN and the RN FAA.

• 1 year later...

Hello everybody,

I can't believe that I haven't had chance to work on this project for nearly two and a half years!  I did have some problems with dimensions for the island, plus some of the boat deck inserts; however, I am about to get an update on the island.  That should help me to get continue with the build.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 6

8 hours ago, bootneck said:

I am about to get an update on the island.

Gidday Mike, memories of this build pop into my head from time to time. Looking forward to another progress report. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Glad this is back in progress.

Just re-read the whole thing, nice mix of old school and high tech approaches. Hope there'll be some new images to look at soon.

Matt

I'm just waiting for a 3D printed island, on its way from China.  I'm not too sure of the quality of the model yet and I may have to redraw and print some of the items myself.  I am excited about this though and looking forward to getting started again.  It should be a good time as well, with the Spring just around the corner and hopefully some warmth down the shed.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 3

Thanks Dan,

I've started reworking the funnel and doing more measuring and scaling of drawings ready; however, I feel that I am going to struggle 3D printing this beast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anyone using Fusion 360 that can suggestion how to do these little triangular panels?  I am aware of pattern and revolve etc., but I only did that with wheels.

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Good to see this going again.  IIRC, the way I did something similar (but I concede less complex) in my Mayfly scratchbuild 

was to draw the frame.  Extrude it (in my case 1mm) and then use the loft tool to join the inner sides of the frame to each other.  Worked well for the nose and tail cones

53524025326_90fcfc0b5a_b.jpg

Think there'll be some fun trigonometry in there though working out the angles!

Alternatively, one of the members of our local model club is a professional CAD engineer.  I can ask her how she'd tackle it if you like?

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Alternatively, one of the members of our local model club is a professional CAD engineer.  I can ask her how she'd tackle it if you like?

Hi Ralph,

I would appreciate if you could do that please.  The first two rows appear be symmetrical and I could possibly try to draw three layers of 20-25 sided polygons. The rows above that look to be much more complex for me.

cheers,
Mike.

Hi Mike, and I thought I was bonkers taking on Vince and Enterprise at 72, this is a masterpiece unfolding, I take my hat off to you. By the way do you do know you can get HIPS sheets in 0.5 0.75 1.00 1.5,2.0,2.5, 3.0, 1260mm X 760mm I bought 8 sheets of various thickness $55Au ( Im probably talking to the man that already knows this) could work out cheaper. ??

but just in case, anyway Fantastic build well done  

cheers Chris

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2024 at 8:09 PM, bootneck said:

Anyone using Fusion 360 that can suggestion how to do these little triangular panels?  I am aware of pattern and revolve etc., but I only did that with wheels.

I had looked at creating a geodome for a project. I didn't get very far, but I did find the videos on this link helpful for the principles.. Your dome looks more complicated (more constituent triangles), but this may give you the concept to work from.

• Like 1