This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tzulscha

'Tis the Season...to Grump

"I've got a slug"

Who knew that the parrot sketch contained references to Imperial units? Is this some secret code?

4 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

Got to be remembered, when Bill the conk, otherwise know as William the first, took over in 1066, the weights and measures system had already been in use for a wee while over here and was far more accurate than anything on the continent, so was kept and was also used wherever William held sway.

It only took the modern day French a further 800 years to come up with the metric system......counting in units of 10 is very difficult after all..........

Now, while we're on the subject, what do you know about a perch? non swimming variety of course........:wicked:

Yes, well, I apparently have a distant ancestor named Roger de Catlyn who came over with old Bill to thrash some sense into the Norman types who were already there.

So I do know a bit of English history.

The question is, why, after all these years, is that particular unit still being used?

It's something about the French isn't it?

As for the perch, I must assume you are speaking about the rod used by surveyors amirite?

My old dad was among other things an experimental archeologist and a keen reenactor and I learned many things of that sort from him while he was working at Michilimackinac as well as colonial Williamsburg.

12 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

It's something about the French isn't it?

Yep, there's certainly something about the French.

The use of the stone is simple. It's a 'human measurement' . Ten stones is understandable to the human mind and can easily be visualised where 63.5kg's is a bit harder to visualise, it's not that long ago we learned to count past 10 or 20. Note that in many languages 20 is the base number system - the number of fingers and toes on the average human. 

Strangely this also translates into the way we view casualty lists - When someone says that 10 people died in an accident we are horrified but if someone says that 500,000 people died during WWI in the area you can see looking South West from Ypres without moving your head we don't really and truly comprehend that total and it's just 'Oh that's a lot' because we can't visualise such a huge figure.

3 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

Who knew that the parrot sketch contained references to Imperial units?

The Parrot Sketch was written pre-metrication...

I thought i was seeing things earlier,i saw a convertable Range Rover Evoque,why! if you have that money and want to make a statement BUY AN ASTON...

Yes, I've seen them too. I find it difficult not to laugh.

I mean, a fastback 4x4 is daft enough (BMW) where do you put the dogs/wardrobe etc?

But a droptop?

Really?

Fashion over function strikes again. Also, how large do you want your Mini/Fiat 500 etc?

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Also, how large do you want your Mini/Fiat 500 etc?

That's something else that winds me up big time,mini estate (or whatever the flamin' thing's called but takes up nearly the amount of space as a RR) and the 500 which started out brilliantly but has slowly turned into a bloater...

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

how large do you want your Mini/Fiat 500 etc?

I wouldn't thank you for a mini but about this size for the FIAT.

chicago-feb-9-model-fiat-450w-94912939.j

More realistic is this one though!

fiat_cinque_tank.jpg

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's slower if you're using energy saving bulbs.

Or you live in Lincs.

8 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

I wouldn't thank you for a mini but about this size for the FIAT.

chicago-feb-9-model-fiat-450w-94912939.j

I can't help but wonder what would happen if you threw her into a pond.

Probably squeeze everything into her head...

Oh, the bulldozer FIAT looked useful.

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yep, there's certainly something about the French.

Roger that.

10 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

I can't help but wonder what would happen if you threw her into a pond.

I knew that those across the pond had some funny habits but that's a new one!😲

Anyway,to answer your question:

article-2351972-1A956BCA000005DC-216_634

2 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

All that needs is to be underwater and being followed by an Esprit....

A double grump:

1) For the past week I have been ill with a bacterial dental problem with a viral upper respiratory tract infection. I have felt terrible and had a high temperature. Today I am feeling a bit better bit completely exhausted as last night was the first decent night sleep I have all week

2) Indoor fireworks. Mrs T and Miss T went a did some Christmas shopping this morning and came back with some indoor fireworks. My past experience with these has been underwhelming, but Mrs and Miss T are easily amused. My 'favourite' is the volcano. Not so much Krakatoa, more like upturned paper cone that spews forth a substance not unlike earth worm casts. 

I am seriously grumpy at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Scimitar said:

And rusting even more quickly than usual ...

Where is my Winter?!!! 

I want to be snowed in for Christmas and there isn't even a sign of the white stuff yet around here. Wet and windy yes which is OK but the cold days just aren't cold enough. 

Oh you bet it will! Grumping is like wailing the blues, gotta get it all out.

I woke up this morning

......then problems started

hurt my jaw yawning

.......coughed and ...broke wind

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

Where is my Winter?!!! 

I want to be snowed in for Christmas and there isn't even a sign of the white stuff yet around here. Wet and windy yes which is OK but the cold days just aren't cold enough. 

I'd gladly send you some of mine.

We got alot of wet heavy stuff the other night.  Enough to knock over one of my trees.

It's snowing again even as we speak.

Oh yes please can you load up a few specially refrigerated B-52's and arrange a drop? The passes that connect my village to the outside world should be special targets.

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

Where is my Winter?!!! 

67.4 miles north west of you.   😁

Glencoe.jpg?1515901836

2 hours ago, Beardie said:

Oh yes please can you load up a few specially refrigerated B-52's and arrange a drop? The passes that connect my village to the outside world should be special targets.

Who ordered snow?

bfe4ced8-9f21-4d39-9a29-4f46dcbf785f.jpg

@Scimitar That's just not close enough! I want snow so heavy on the road down from the Rest and Be Thankful that I can rig up some skis and see if I can slide/ski all the way from the Rest down to where the road joins the Hell's Glen road. I reckon I should easily get in excess of 40mph although I would need to figure out how to brake at the steeper bits, maybe a bag full or sand that I can drop (attached to me by a rope) at the faster bits.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Who ordered snow?

bfe4ced8-9f21-4d39-9a29-4f46dcbf785f.jpg

I want a kit of that ...