This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tzulscha

'Tis the Season...to Grump

13 hours ago, spaddad said:

Not often I say this but I've just watched the news & I feel slightly less homicidal than usual. The reason? footage of police cars ramming scooter thief scumbags, brilliant. Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of them have sustained any injury & this tactic will probably only last until one of the scrotes is slotted but in the meantime rock on!

With the amount of cutbacks the police have been forced to endure it'll probably be the repair bills to the cars that'll end it but it's great to see them being stopped in a way that'll teach them a lesson....

My grump today, received an e mail from TUI last night saying your holiday flight has been cancelled, its not until  September next year.

The so kind people at TUI have offered the same holiday from an airport of their choice with no extra charges as long as we travel four days either side of the original booking.

If we don't amendment charges will added to the cost of the holiday.

This holiday can only go ahead if the accommodation is available on the dates the four days either side of their amended booking.What chance of that if hotels accept seven day and fourteen day bookings.

They have offered £50 compensation per person but if their selected airport is Gatwick it would cost me a hotel and travel from Leeds which would make a mockery of the £100 offered.

Why these companies can alter a holiday at the drop of a hat to suit themselves is a disgrace. 

Off to get my money back today and will not be using them again.

1 hour ago, camper1 said:

Off to get my money back today and will not be using them again.

And while you're at it, tell them to drown that silly cow that does the advert for them.

8 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

And while you're at it, tell them to drown that silly cow that does the advert for them.

:rofl2:....

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against people who feel that they have a legitimate grievance, protesting, and I'm not knocking the French, but Oh Boy! Do they take it to the Nth degree. Before I set off from the UK on Wednesday, I was aware that there were protests taking place all over France, against the proposed hike in fuel prices that are coming. As I left the Channel Tunnel, there was plenty of evidence of the protests, but I didn't get held up, possibly because I was using motorways. Fast forward a few hours; driving through Rouen and traffic came to a complete halt, for what I thought was an RTA as there was an ambulance on an emergency call out trying to get through the hold up. Even with blues and twos, it took him thirty minutes to weave his way through no more than a hundred yards of snarl up. Turns out it wasn't an accident, but the protesters stopping the traffic and the ambulance was going elsewhere. I just hope that it wasn't a matter of life or death.

I didn't encounter any more problems until I reached the toll booths when I exited the motorway at Poitiers, only this time it was to my advantage. The protesters had taken over the tolls and had opened all of the barriers letting every vehicle through. I'll have some of that, thank you very much. Saved me 18 euros. But the next day, I had to go to the airport to pick up my wife. Left in plenty of time, only to find that there they were in Poitiers, blocking the N10. One silly moo even wanted me to honk my horn in support. Really? Do you want to explain to my wife why I'm not at the airport to pick her up??

As I said, they have a right to protest, and I agree with them, but for crying our loud, get your act together. Holding up emergency vehicles just so that you can put your point across is NOT on.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
Laptop has a mind of it's own.

I must admit that I could never see these sort of protests happening in the UK although I believe that they are protesting the fuel prices having gone up to roughly what we are already paying here? I was shocked to read about protesters being mowed down (one was reported as being killed) by angry citizens wanting to get about their business. Definitely not the British way of complaining.

They're in Paris today tearing up the cobblestones to throw at the police, who are replying with tear gas and water cannon. Perhaps some of them were students there in 1968.

It's deja-vu all over again.

T'other John

Got up at about 6:30 today and shortly afterwards there was an hour long power cut. Fortunately I'd made my cuppa, otherwise it would have been baseball-bat time. No one messes with me morning tea. :fight:

Rather than read though BM while having breakfast, I read my kindle by candle light. 🕯️

Typical, just when my reading has finally reached the computer age, my lighting has gone all Tudor. :(

31 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Got up at about 6:30 today and shortly afterwards there was an hour long power cut. 

Did you not have a shilling for the meter :whistle:

58 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Did you not have a shilling for the meter :whistle:

I have an ‘anti grump’. MH junior is currently reading classic working class fiction as part of his English degree. Friday Night Saturday Morning, The Road to Wigan Pier etc. 

Seeing the frustration (and disbelief) on his face whilst Mrs H and I went through the intricacies of the old pounds, shillings and pence - ten bob,  half a crown, florins, ha’ pennies, tanners and how many ‘thruppeny bits’ were in a shilling.

His increasing exasperation and incomprehension was matched only by the increasing glee Mrs H and I felt.

We are naughty!

Trevor Schardenfreude

27 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Seeing the frustration (and disbelief) on his face whilst Mrs H and I went through the intricacies of the old pounds, shillings and pence - ten bob,  half a crown, florins, ha’ pennies, tanners and how many ‘thuppeny bits’ were in a shilling.

I can't wait for when my grandson gets to be old enough to understand money a bit better. I will enjoy the incredulous look on his face when I produce two one pound coins and thirty three pence and tell him that was what my first week's wage was in 1963. But he'll be even more gobsmacked when I tell him that the thirty three pence was stopped to pay for my NI stamp, and then when I got home, my Mum took £1.50 from me for keep, leaving me with just 50 pence to last the week. Wasn't much clubbing done in those days. Kids today. they don't know that they're born.

John.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

..........Seeing the frustration (and disbelief) on his face whilst Mrs H and I went through the intricacies of the old pounds, shillings and pence -

ten bob,  half a crown, florins, ha’ pennies, tanners and how many ‘thruppeny bits’ were in a shilling.

His increasing exasperation and incomprehension was matched only by the increasing glee Mrs H and I felt.

We are naughty!

Trevor Schardenfreude

Trevor, if you and the better half want to be REALLY naughty..........tell him about farthins and groats (4d)

and if you want to be really wicked..............................................tell him about £sd Joey's :whistle:

5 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Trevor, if you and the better half want to be REALLY naughty..........tell him about farthins and groats (4d)

and if you want to be really wicked..............................................tell him about £sd Joey's :whistle:

I asked him if he knew how many gallons there were in a furlong......

Trevor

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Two questions,

1. Of what?

2. Which type, Imperial (the best!) or U.S.?

Could always ask him about chains.............:wicked: Then again.....................

Or rods to the furlong.

Which reminds me, why is it that you lot still weigh your selves in 'stones'?

You have perfectly good kilograms or even pounds.

Heck why not weigh yourself in sheep? I myself weigh almost exactly .75 rams.

2 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Heck why not weigh yourself in sheep? I myself weigh almost exactly .75 rams.

Uh oh... look what ewe've started...  :) 

Better yet use the internationally recognized  triple F system - furlongs, firkins and fortnights.

For example, the speed of light is approximately 1.8 x 10^12 furlongs/fortnight.

Edited by Jo NZ

1 hour ago, Jo NZ said:

For example, the speed of light is approximately 1.8 x 10^12 furlongs/fortnight.

It's slower if you're using energy saving bulbs.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's slower if you're using energy saving bulbs.

Only if they're metric

8 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Or rods to the furlong.

Which reminds me, why is it that you lot still weigh yourselves in stones

Be confusted no longer Tzulscha! 

:smartass: Chain = 22 yards/66 feet, length of a cricket pitch, sub divides to 4 rods or a 100 links.

Reason many over here still weigh in stones is historic.......

it came in with the Romans who took the idea from Byzantium, which, to my reckoning makes it slightly older than your country........by 3 - 4000 years.

Weight of a stone varies dependent on what is being weighed, but as a measure of dry weight = 14lbs. It was entered into law in the 14th Century. Wool, of course = 25lbs to the stone.....simples!

Got to be remembered, when Bill the conk, otherwise know as William the first, took over in 1066, the weights and measures system had already been in use for a wee while over here and was far more accurate than anything on the continent, so was kept and was also used wherever William held sway.

It only took the modern day French a further 800 years to come up with the metric system......counting in units of 10 is very difficult after all..........

Now, while we're on the subject, what do you know about a perch? non swimming variety of course........:wicked:

6 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Be confusted no longer ....simples!

Now, while we're on the subject, what do you know about a perch? non swimming variety of course........:wicked:

for the belfry ?

1 hour ago, PhoenixII said:

Now, while we're on the subject, what do you know about a perch?

"Was because it had been nailed there!"

(You walked right into this one)