This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tzulscha

'Tis the Season...to Grump

4 minutes ago, depressed lemur said:

Can I grump about a lack of recent grump?

Of course, if you've got nowt else.

Hello grumpoleros,

some of you may have noticed I have not been fulfilling my grump quotient lately, apologies, but I had to lay off as I was in constant danger of triggering the ban-ometer by going political. Please find attached  a list of active grumps currently raising my blood pressure, no details or explanations, just a list & apart from the first 3, not necessarily in order of annoyance.

BMW & Audi drivers who hog the middle lane.

BMW & Audi drivers

Drivers who hog the middle lane.

Driving standards in this country in general.

The insidious destruction of the English language, for instance the increasing use of "aircrafts" not only by foreigners but also British people who should know better. As a nation we have spent about 2000 years creating a complex, precise,unambiguous & beautiful language & it's being destroyed.

Christmas in October & November

The BBC's destruction of Radio 2

Supermarkets

Newcastle United's owner.

The increasing difficulty of using Windows XP

The ever decreasing size of biscuits, cakes, chocolate products & fish fingers.

The decreasing proportion of actual programme to advert.

The constant attempts of this damn computer to get me to spell in American.

That'll do for now, feel free to expand & discuss.

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

The insidious destruction of the English language, for instance the increasing use of "aircrafts" not only by foreigners but also British people who should know better. As a nation we have spent about 2000 years creating a complex, precise,unambiguous & beautiful language & it's being destroyed.

Oh I hear you on this, I was watching the footie a few days ago, one of the internationals, Switzerland vs Belgium I think.  Now I know Co-Commentators aren't usually Shakespeares but when you hear him come out with the line "That defending was sloppy as." I cringed.  He sounded like a oldish bloke too.  Sloppy as.  No explanation as to what it was as sloppy as, no, he just left it hanging there, keeping millions of viewers up and down the country on the edge of their seats waiting to find out.  We never did.

Followed the next day, on the news this time a reporter, talking about the feeling at Number 10 concerning Brexit or something, that "feelings have been pumped up to ten."  Sorry, what?  Do you mean tensions have risen to a high level?  Concerns have been greatly raised?  What the actual eff does pumped up to ten mean, and why is a major news network employing these people as reporters??

And breathe.....

With you 100% on that. Words that sound the same but spelled differently have different meanings. It is important to spell correctly so that the meaning of our missives can be understood. I know that younger people (I was one once) like to speak in their own slang so that their elders can't understand them, but it seems that spelling is not corrected in classrooms because junior needs to express themselves, uninhibited by conventional rules.

Poppycock! Eye of a screw kneeding Greece. Sorry, I meant to say I have a screw needing grease.

12 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I know that younger people (I was one once) like to speak in their own slang so that their elders can't understand them,

The difference between now & then is that we knew the correct way to speak & spell & express ourselves & chose to speak drivel in order to appear different whereas now they are so poorly educated that there is no choice involved, they have to speak drivel as they have no alternative.

I am with you all on the use of language. On another forum I frequent I started a thread about someone who had posted a guitar for sale near where I live for considerably less than what it was worth and I asked people in the thread if their morals would allow them to snap it up or would they let the chap know that what he has is worth a lot more. This chap, listed as from England, chimes in that he has contacted the fellow to let him know that he should remove his advert and research the value before re-listing. I had already notified the seller of this with no reply at least 24 hours earlier. The English fellow got very agitated when I said I wondered what the outcome was, stating that: 

"Yes I’ve already said that I’ve spoken to him via text". 

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but you can't 'speak to someone via text' and also that sentence does not mention anywhere that the fellow replied to said text or took any action. 

Do you ever get the feeling that someone is a complete moron even without actually doing anything more than read a few lines they have written?

5 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Do you ever get the feeling that someone is a complete moron even without actually doing anything more than read a few lines they have written?

Depressingly often.

Quite a lot of the time it's on this forum, people post whom I know are British yet I cannot follow what they have written, sometimes it reminds me of the sixties & seventies when Japanese kits first started to be imported and the attempts at translation were quite incomprehensible but quite funny.

Captains log supplemental

Most British "comedians" under 40 years of age.

Revisionist history criticising or demonising heroes & great men of our past such as Air Chief  Marshal 'Bomber' Harris & Cecil Rhodes. All this hipster liberal tear the statues down crap is unworthy of any nation let alone one with a world changing history such as ours. We should stay proud.

The road works just outside Stanion & on the M6.

The out of control numbers of Crows, Jackdaws, Magpies, rats, squirrels & cats that are decimating our small bird populations.

The television convention of delaying the answer in quizzes or the result of something just to 'increase the tension or excitement' which renders these programmes unwatchable to me & is the tv equivalent of selling tins of Roses from mid September & playing christmas songs from October.

Message ends.

Stand by, there could be more.

Captains log supplemental

Most British "comedians" under 40 years of age.

Revisionist history criticising or demonising heroes & great men of our past such as Air Chief  Marshal 'Bomber' Harris & Cecil Rhodes. All this hipster liberal tear the statues down crap is unworthy of any nation let alone one with a world changing history such as ours. We should stay proud.

The road works just outside Stanion & on the M6.

The out of control numbers of Crows, Jackdaws, Magpies, rats, squirrels & cats that are decimating our small bird populations.

The television convention of delaying the answer in quizzes or the result of something just to 'increase the tension or excitement' which renders these programmes unwatchable to me & is the tv equivalent of selling tins of Roses from mid September & playing christmas songs from October.

Message ends.

Stand by, there could be more.

Everything except the "cats" bit. 😺

Comedians under 40...  That's reminded me of a major grump I have.  Years ago I had the pleasure of visiting a comedy night in Manchester.  I laughed only once, and that was more a single "Ha."  The reason?  I counted only four subjects that were covered that entire evening by the four "comedians".  These were:-

Genitalia

Sex

The Royal Family

Cursing

That was it. 

I find any routine about the above to be very lazy.  If a "comedian" has to resort to any of the above, then they are really struggling.  At least the likes of Billy Connolly used real life for example...

Indeed Billy Connolly had a real knack for seeing the absurdity in real life and showing us it. I think many of the modern comedians try to ape him but they just don't get that you have to 'live' it and you can't learn it in the comfort of your warm, middle class home. I can't think of a modern comedian who actually really gets me (or anyone I know) laughing uncontrollably.

8 minutes ago, hovis said:

Everything except the "cats" bit. 😺

I used to have a cat, I like cats. I'm thinking about getting another one but however much you like cats you cannot deny that they slaughter anything they come across including small birds in vast numbers if only because there are vast numbers of cats.

18 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Tinnitus..

Is where you're listening to your Tangerine Dream collection and whilst at the desktop trying to look at BM, one of those records finishes and all you have is yourself ( with the tinnitus ) and the silence between record changes.

( and mine is due to my work many years ago in an old Foundry in the galvanising section. Last year they knocked this old building down and replaced it with our towns second Bunnings store )

Edited by Mick4350

2 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

Last year they knocked this old building down and replaced it with out towns second Bunnings store 

What?! TWO Big Boys' Toy Shops in the one town? Outrageous!!

Morning Chaps :bye:

Maybe I'm just not with it enough, (as I am constantly told) but I don't get this Black Friday lark. 

Perhaps I should re phrase that, I don't understand the behavior of the people in the shops on Black Friday.

Who in their right mind would queue from disgusting o clock to rush into the shop, to then have a fight with 50 other people over a TV?

Ok, maybe the TV's are cheaper, but is it really necessary to act in such a way? Over a TV!

I hate crowded shops to start with, but that would send me straight out the door, not straight into the fray.... 

I've seen videos of people pushing others over, ripping boxes out of other people hands, and in some cases, actual fisticuffs. 

Nope, think Ill stay at home and grump about something instead...

:santa:Mad Steve :santa:

I've never been to a  ' Black Friday ' event but looked online at same, and I've yet to see anything that I really want/need at a significantly reduced price.Perhaps it's just me not being ' with it ' too.

5 hours ago, Beardie said:

Indeed Billy Connolly had a real knack for seeing the absurdity in real life and showing us it. I think many of the modern comedians try to ape him but they just don't get that you have to 'live' it and you can't learn it in the comfort of your warm, middle class home. I can't think of a modern comedian who actually really gets me (or anyone I know) laughing uncontrollably.

It started with Harry Enfield. I call it  'Comedy of the bleedin' obvious'

10 hours ago, spaddad said:

BMW & Audi drivers

Also the headlights of said vehicles that dazzle you even on low beam...

Following on from my last comment. We recently bought 2 pairs of walking boots and SMBO saw them this morning on someone's ' Black Friday sale ' site at £20 a pair more than we paid for them!

I dislocated my left ring finger tonight...damnit that friggen hurt.

59 minutes ago, Brad said:

I dislocated my left ring finger tonight...damnit that friggen hurt.

My sympathies for that,i've done my knees a few times....

Black Friday, yet another triumph of hype over content, I wonder how many venues are actually as frenetic as the examples peddled to us on tv, but it does illustrate how easily the sheep are led.

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Also the headlights of said vehicles that dazzle you even on low beam...

That's why I have my Nitecore EC4 when I walk at night.

Just got an email about the fireworks petition that was under way. They have made it clear that they will not even debate a ban.

They make too much money, and apparently they are a very important part of British tradition (I can only think of bonfire night and that ain't that important) and the traditions of many of our migrant populations and there are robust regulations in place. Oh fear of the law must really be a strong deterrent in a country where the Police are scared of arresting you for anything up to murder now because the costs are enormous and the punishments handed down pathetic.

As to Black Friday, utter utter garbage. I have never been to and never will go to a Black Friday Sale or celebrate Thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

. I have never been to and never will go to a Black Friday Sale or celebrate Thanksgiving.

Nearest I'll get to a turkey roast dinner tonight is driving past KFC.....🦃