This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Tzulscha

'Tis the Season...to Grump

Re the NHS - my wife left it this week after decades of service in clinical positions from Student nurse through A &E, ICU, and other  depts.  In her present role she has observed and taken to task the sixth manager who has spoken to a ward nurse in ten minutes - on the clock as she was monitoring infection control practice - who had asked the nurse to change and do yet another different task.  Waay too many managers and not enough people at the sharp end.

Add ineffective management and an inability to root out and dismiss waters and layabouts.  In her experience it took over a year to remove one member of staff who never did a stroke of work.  They played the system and in the end jumped when the final disciplinary came to a head.  Cost to taxpayer?  Circa £60k at a conservative guess.  In the meantime other staff had to shoulder the burden.

Its all way tom touchy feely.  And far too many important meetings to decide when and what colour the paint marking in the car park should be.  She despaired of meetings running on so everyone could have their say when nothing was being brought to the meeting by it.  

Inevitably the ward staff are the ones who end up being short changed while backroom staff often play at moving the chairs around.

However she reckons that the NHS simply has to change as it cant survive in the 21 st century in its present form.  There are simply too many old codgers (like us !) needing care and costs of new treatment are excallating as new procedures and drugs become available.  Its a perfect storm.

An NHS thread would quickly run to 40 pages and I've got 39 of them ready however as this is the grump thread..

On the way back from Glasgow earlier I was driving through Gourock and came upon a cyclist.

Black clothes,no rear light and no reflector but when I passed him he had a front light worthy of Twentieth Century Fox !

Perhaps he was worried somebody would reverse into him.

Ok, this has taken a darker turn.  It's supposed to be a bit of harmless griping, but as the NHS's problems are all linked to politics, we should know better than to bring it up.  Lots of places out there to discuss the rights and wrongs of it, and we don't want it at our door.

I'm closing the thread, and don't want to see another one for a week.  In the meantime, try to engage in a bit of Christmas spirit and cheer up for everyone's sakes :dull: