Raf c-47 Dakota Italeri

Well I’ve not posted in ages. Been busy, been sick and nearly died at one point, got disheartened by Photobucket shafting my posts however it seems it’s back so using this to try it out. 

Here is my almost finished Dakota a lovely kit but it did fight me a little and I had started it in 2013! , at the end of the build I made a mistake and grabbed dark sea grey not varnish... oh the music that come out my mouth! , luckily I decanted the Tamiya spray and airbrushed the green and brush painted the stripes.

lovley kit ... got there in the end !

A5B07072-42CE-4F56-8F46-330DF0065B38_zps

2E870FA0-D2FB-4B08-9A6F-26D22AA4A3D1_zps

C971E0D0-33EB-4A30-BE30-E514887CDC99_zps

1D0500EA-6FDD-486E-B813-3605534A8F56_zps

C8D862B7-441E-48FB-AA17-B3ACC986FE82_zps

B6C39663-B97C-4D8A-A24B-648688C45E89_zps

Tamiya AS series USAF olive drab and neutral grey where used for this with revel coal black for the tyres or tar black can’t remember now. 

Xtradecals used throughout.

Cheers Rob :)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 39

8 minutes ago, noelh said:

Well despite your travails. I t came out great. A mojo restorer if there ever was. Can't beat a  good old Gooney Bird.

Many thanks. Yes I grabbed he can of humbrol sea grey by mistake and had to repaint the whole top area. A panic to grab Mr Hobby levelling thinner on a tissue got a lot off. Then decanted the Tamiya olive drab and all was well through the airbrush.. lucky ! ,

yep love the Dakota probably the most attractive  of larger WW2 aircraft. One of the most beautiful Aircraft ever :)

cheers Rob 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Nice Dakota - have this one on my stash too. You might be guilty for it being my next project.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks and I’m glad to hear it. Can’t have enough Dak’s.

its a great kit this. Only problem is italeri’s brittle plastic. I had the same problem with the Stirling very fragile on smaller parts (or I’m ham fisted)..

have that Tamiya extra thin at the ready and all is well. :) 

Cheers Rob 

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Great to see you getting one over the line mate. I’ve done the paint instead of varnish cockpit once so you’re not alone 😂

hope you have have a better year in 2019 mate 👍🏼

Many thanks dude was great seeing you at Telford and life gets better day by day. Especially when you change your mindset.

I should have a few more over the line soon. 

Looking forward to more shows soon.

all the best Rob :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, djos said:

One more evidence what can be done with old molds and good modeler skills.

Very very nice looking Dakota.

Best regards Djordje

Thanks. This kit is alright and looks like a Dakota to my eye. Not tried the new Airfix one yet but I fancy doing another in a different scheme.

the front windows on this for me was the worst part to fit. Aside from that it holds up very well. 

I believe it’s the old Esci mold.

cheers Rob :)

1 minute ago, AMB said:

No, it's the Italeri mould. 

Cheers I was never sure as I thought esci had this and an older mold then airfix used this one too for a while. Clearly I didn’t remeber right. 

2 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

Cheers I was never sure as I thought esci had this and an older mold then airfix used this one too for a while. Clearly I didn’t remeber right. 

The Italeri  mould is much  better than ESCI's which had trench-like engraved panels.  

Edited by AMB
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AMB said:

The Italeri  mould is much  better than ESCI's which had trench-like engraved panels.  

Agreed and thought the new Airfix one is very good I don’t think this italeri one is in anyway bad at all. :)

4 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Lovely result Rob! Very well done. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Plastix cheers Rob :) 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

You've got to love a good Dakota, and that is good👍

Many thanks Vinnie. I can’t inderstand why it too so many years to finish it but well worth the wait.

All the best Rob :)

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Look's great from here Rob,nice to see a British owned one too!

Cheers Steve. Yeh I love the us colours with RAF markings. Tempted to do another in a different scheme now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Nice Rob, just about the best scheme ever for a Dak & you've made a cracking job of it. :)

Steve.

Many thanks Steve. I agree I love this scheme it’s iconic and classy. I fancy one without the D-day markings next time. (they are a bit of a pain) , worth it though 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, robvulcan said:

Thanks and I’m glad to hear it. Can’t have enough Dak’s.

its a great kit this. Only problem is italeri’s brittle plastic. I had the same problem with the Stirling very fragile on smaller parts (or I’m ham fisted)..

have that Tamiya extra thin at the ready and all is well. :) 

Cheers Rob 

True - there can't be enough Dakotas 😁. Thanks for the heads up. Guess it's my first Italeri kit. Hope I can post some pics in some time. But first it's up to my Academy Harvard II.

Cheers m

Michael

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

True - there can't be enough Dakotas 😁. Thanks for the heads up. Guess it's my first Italeri kit. Hope I can post some pics in some time. But first it's up to my Academy Harvard II.

Cheers m

Michael

I look forward to seeing it. Your welcome. Another thing is the canopy glazing. That’s not the easiest to fit and again fragile plastic is the enemy.

the Eduard masks for this I highly recomend. Makes life much easier. 

Rob :)

5 minutes ago, robvulcan said:

I look forward to seeing it. Your welcome. Another thing is the canopy glazing. That’s not the easiest to fit and again fragile plastic is the enemy.

the Eduard masks for this I highly recomend. Makes life much easier. 

Rob :)

Did you ever think of the Airfix kit? Might be tempted to go for it and trade/sell the Italeri kit...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WildeSau75 said:

Did you ever think of the Airfix kit? Might be tempted to go for it and trade/sell the Italeri kit...

I bought this kit about 8 years ago before the Airfix one was out. I’d like a go at the Airfix one next time around :)