Hanriot HD.1 in Italian Service

Hanriot HD 1 7501

Unit Unknown

Italian Service, 1918

This was a late entry for the Eleventh Hour GB which ended on Saturday, I didn't finish it for the deadline, but managed to complete it a few days later. I chose this version of the kit markings because I thought that it would make an interesting challenge in trying to achieve some tonal difference between the fabric and metal areas of the aircraft, and you can't beat having a green dragon painted down the side.

45870925572_fed4fc91a2_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45870930822_85186f7097_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45870928042_f524531432_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45870928472_0e220b63f3_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45870931472_bd2002e962_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45007987085_9236bc3662_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

45870931202_c2c8b585e8_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 29

Hi John,

flamboyant is the first thing that came to mind upon viewing your work of art. 

Absolutely gorgeous model!!

You have to give it to the Italians: they know what to do with pots of paints found lying around! And it is usually pretty joyful!!!

You sure have done this beautiful plane justice.

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

Very nice indeed.

How did you get the different tones? I normally do it with Tamiya Flat Aluminium for doped areas and Revell Aluminium for metal areas (sometimes mixed with a bit of light grey to knock the shine back if required), but am open to other sources of inspiration.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SUB-SAM said:

That's a stunner.

I'd say you have captured the difference of sheet aluminium and aluminized doped fabric very well.

Thanks for your comment Sam. I am happy with the way it turned out and what I have learned will be useful for the Grumman F3F that I am about to start.

5 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Fantastic!  Lovely work.

Cheers John. That is high praise indeed, especially when I look back at your excellent achievements over in the Eleventh Hour GB.

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi John,

flamboyant is the first thing that came to mind upon viewing your work of art. 

Absolutely gorgeous model!!

You have to give it to the Italians: they know what to do with pots of paints found lying around! And it is usually pretty joyful!!!

You sure have done this beautiful plane justice.

Congrats!!!

JR

Thank you very much Jean, I am glad that you like this one. Italian schemes certainly seem to have that extra bit of panache. 

1 hour ago, WildeSau75 said:

What a stunning model - you captured the look of this bird perfectly.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for your comment Michael, you are too kind sir. :)

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Very nice indeed.

How did you get the different tones? I normally do it with Tamiya Flat Aluminium for doped areas and Revell Aluminium for metal areas (sometimes mixed with a bit of light grey to knock the shine back if required), but am open to other sources of inspiration.

Thanks Steve, there is nothing too fancy about the paint.

I used three different silver colours for this one. The cowling ring is painted with Tamiya Silver Leaf from their range of aerosols, the metal area around the nose and cockpit was brushed with Revell Aqua Color Aluminium and for the fabric areas I used High Temperature Aluminium automotive paint available here from Halfords. The particle size of this imparted a fabric appearance to the smooth plastic and looks fine at this scale, but I wouldn't use it for smaller scales. The metal areas were then covered with Winsor and Newton Artist' Acrylic Satin UV Varnish, whilst the fabric areas had a Matt Varnish from the same range.

HTH

On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:24, pheonix said:

Beautiful. Absolutely stunning finish and I really do like the dragon! First class model.

P

Thank you very much for the comment P, there were some nice schemes with this boxing but the dragon swung it for me. 

7 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great to see this one finished John and it looks really impressive! Excellent modelling! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks again for the kind comment Stix, and for your support along the way.

1 hour ago, robvulcan said:

Beautiful Work John nice to see your still knocking out amazing models. Not been here in a while sadly but I’m back now ! ,

cheers Rob :) 

Hey Rob it's good to hear from you again matey. I'm glad that you like this one and I look forward to watching some more fabulous Vulcan builds from you.

7 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Very nice. What did you use for your turnbuckles?

Thanks for your interest SoftScience, they are from the etch detail fret supplied with the kit. I think that Eduard did a 1/48 fret of turnbuckles, control horns etc, and for something more three-dimensional, Quickboost had wire tensioners in their range of 1/48 aftermarket products at one time. HTH