Which 1/72 F-35B is more accurate Hasegawa or Fujimi?

Uncle Dick

Which kit is the most accurate for shape overall in 1/72 (If you do not want to wait for Airfix, Kitthawk, Orange Hobby and who ever else might make one in the future) - I realise Hasegawa has no open option for the weapons bay but does have lift fan exhaust doors open option etc compared to Fujimi...

Edited by Uncle Dick

The Hasegawa is the best OOB option. If you really want to make it with weapons bay open, you could crosskit it with Academy B-35A (a superb model by itself). You can also treat the Hasegawa F-35A in the same way.

The RAM panel painting masks or decals are a must for any 1/72 F-35 model.

Hasegawa all the way!

Some suggestions: Just prior to take-off or landing (VTOL mode) the horizontal tail surfaces angle down in the back (see photo below). Also, if I were to build another, I would lighten the base paint color (I used Colourcoats)  to make the great kit ram  decals a little less "contrasty":

2v2J7VEm8xfzdhW.jpg

The weapons pod is an aftermarket item.  There were also some very minor fit problems in the front of the model. 

For those interested, my build thread is also a kit review:  Hasegawa F-35B Build Thread

Ed

• Like 3

For what it's worth, the paint I have saved in my reference list as "the best" currently available for the F-35 is Hataka HTK-A058 FS36170 Have Glass Grey (whew). I've only ever built the old Italeri X-35 so I can't help with kit advice, I hope the paint is worth tracking down though.

• Like 1

I'm currently building the Hasegawa F-35B and I'm loving it. It's falling together although the Jet Pipe is tricky to build and still have it working so you can rotate through 90 degrees but it is possible.

I want to do my F-35 as an RAF one. I've noticed that the RAM tape on the panels can vary between aircraft.

Look at the photo on the link below

https://defpost.com/britain-first-four-f-35b-advanced-fighter-aircraft-arrives-raf-marham/

The tape stands out much more on the lead aircraft than it does on the others in the formation.

Hope this is of use,

Mark

I seem to recall that one (or some) of the newly delivered RAF aircraft do not have this RAM tape, or at least it is the same colour as the rest of the aircraft?

I have the Hasegawa 1/72 F-35B on my 'wanted' list, but I have passed it by on a couple of occasions. I'm really waiting to see if the Royal Navy will get to put some squadron markings on their 'Lightning's'. Although the Marine Corps aircraft does look quite impressive on the box top.

Furball decals have a very interesting F-35B release, not sure whether there are any RN Lightnings on it but the USMC ones are quite colorful, and of course the Italian Navy is there.

By the way what service is going to fly the 35Bs in the UK, the Air Force or the Navy?

I do not think that a better F-35B will be released in 1/72 scale anytime soon that is going to better the Hasegawa one, so if you feel the need for an exposed weapons bay you are going to need to bash the Fujimi (provided THAT weapons bay is a correct rendition of the real thing) kit.

The weapons bay from the A and C variants is slightly larger and is not backwards compatible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 12:23 PM, Uncle Dick said:

Which kit is the most accurate for shape overall in 1/72

Somewhere the most accurate drawings on the F-35 A / B / C were printed?

Maybe someone compared the model Hasegawa or Fujimi with a real plane or his photo?

Maybe somewhere there is just a comparison of the Hasegawa v.s. Fujimi kit?

Did I miss something?

If there is nothing of this, then what is the point of talking about whether the

auxiliary intake do

open or not, is there a weapons bay

or not?

Until there are good drawings or someone does not make a comparison of models with a real plane, all the talk about what is better than Hasegawa or Fujimi is nothing more than personal sympathy.

But I will follow these talk about F-35 with interest .... because so far I have no F-35!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

4 hours ago, Aardvark said:

Somewhere the most accurate drawings on the F-35 A / B / C were printed?

Maybe someone compared the model Hasegawa or Fujimi with a real plane or his photo?

Maybe somewhere there is just a comparison of the Hasegawa v.s. Fujimi kit?

Did I miss something?

If there is nothing of this, then what is the point of talking about whether the

auxiliary intake do

open or not, is there a weapons bay

or not?

Until there are good drawings or someone does not make a comparison of models with a real plane, all the talk about what is better than Hasegawa or Fujimi is nothing more than personal sympathy.

But I will follow these talk about F-35 with interest .... because so far I have no F-35!

😉😁

B.R.

Serge

Don't need accurate drawings, the Fujimi kit "vertical" tail is the wrong size to begin, everything else is correct-ish.

For the STOL configuration the Hasegawa is by far more accurate, having a detailed auxiliary intake.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Don't need accurate drawings, the Fujimi kit "vertical" tail is the wrong size to begin, 

It's real deal!

This is already some kind of real argument against

Fujimi.

Who will give more?😉😁

B.R.

Serge

The Fujimi is also full of rivets... a bit strange and off putting for a stealth plane.

If the Hasegawa B is as good as the A then it's a great kit. The inclusion of RAM decals is a must unless you want to waste your adult life masking them. My only gripe was that the fins are a two-piece that leave a seam in a place that has no seam on the real one. The Academy does not have that problem and looks like a better kit overall... so I'll be waiting for their B.