F-86 "MiG Mad Marine" 1/72

F-86 | Hasagawa | 1/72

United States -- Maj. John Glenn pilot

RjhQnTy.jpg

This was a kit I completed on August 21st 2016.  It was the first kit I'd completed in 16 years (but the second one I started in 16 years, the first being an F-14 that I finished later). The Hasegawa kit was purchased in the late '90's and I'd intended it to be a Norwegian F-86.  When I dug it out in 2016 and saw that the quality wasn't the best, I bought an Airfix F-86 instead. I built this one to try my hand at rescribing a kit and to try Alclad for the first time. It's not accurate because Glenn's F-86 had wing fences and this kit doesn't.  Also, I would do the NMF totally differently now, but it was my first try and I was pretty happy with how it turned out.

I didn't really know how to weather it, since I had never worked with Alclad before -- So it's an "Airshow" plane.

The kit had raised panel lines (which I re-scribed) and no recessed landing gear bays!  It just had an outline of the landing gear bay with a hole to put the landing gear in!!  Terrible.  So I made it gears up.

Finishing: Squadron white putty for minor seam fills and to fill in the holes for the landing gears.

Paint: (from base upwards) Testors Enamel Gloss black spray (some panels were painted gray for contrast) > Alclad Polished Aluminum > Alclad Dark Aluminum (centers of the wings) > Alclad Stainless Steel (Gun plate & Engine) > Alclad Aluminum (nose).

Decals: Kit stencils, Airfix markings

A2wNFQI.jpg

v9eaYJ0.jpg

DtIfHlA.jpg

I don't normally make pilots, but since this was gears up I had to put a pilot in.  I painted the pilot with Testors enamel paint and applied a black oil paint wash to his face.

Bcl8Me1.jpg

Building notes:

• The kit wasn't terrific as noted above.  There was hardly any cockpit detail either. But, the fit was good and needed very little filling or sanding.  It looked like a Sabre when it was finished!
  • The Testors black enamel from the spray can makes the best finish to put polished aluminum on. Unfortunately it is a balancing act between putting it on thick enough to level out to a glassy finish and putting it on too think and having it run. (I've since decanted it into my airbrush and mixed it with Mr. Color leveling thinner which works almost as well)
  • Painting some of the panels with a gray base coat really didn't work that well.  Masking and overpainting with Alclad Aluminum would've looked better. (Besides, those panels don't look like that on the actual F-86 -- I was just trying it out).
  • I didn't know how to seal the polished aluminum at the time, so I put the decals directly on the Alclad and left it unsealed.  I learned about Alclad's Aqua Gloss a year later and applied it with a hand brush to the model -- I've found that Aqua Gloss really doesn't change the polished aluminum look when applied with a hand brush.

Hope you enjoy -- Thanks for looking! Questions, comments and constructive criticism welcomed.

Edited by opus999
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Slick looking 'airshow livery'!

And a lot of good advice. I didn't know about Alclad Aqua Gloss, for instance – will definitely try it the next time!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Give it a try! I just use a broad brush and hand brush it, making sure that it is not too thick (although it levels out very well -- I haven't had a run on it). A side-by-side comparison of Aqua Gloss coated Polished aluminum and un-coated polished aluminum shows that the aqua gloss changes the reflection of the metal paint a little, but when it is by itself you can't tell.

I used it on my F-104 and F-86 builds.

Thanks for the feedback!