Jian Ji-2 (Mig-15)

Jian Ji-2 | Dragon | 1/72

China -- unknown pilot

rXEGKqo.jpg

Finished this one November 16, 2018. It was a kit I bought in the '90s. Kit had pretty good detail and was a decent fit, but it had every single rivet engraved in the body and wings.  I set out to do a Polish NMF Lim-2, but even after filling in all the rivets it wouldn't look good with NMF.  So I switched gears and did the Ji-2 with the decals from a 2nd Dragon MiG-15 I had. Work in Progress is here.

Finishing: Seams filled with CA (superglue), rivets filled by applying Mr. Surfacer 500 and sanding down to plastic (took 2 -3 coats)

Top Paints: (applied from base coat to surface):  Mr. Surfacer 1500 black  > Testors Enamel Panzer DunkelGelb 1943 marbled on with Testors Light Gull Gray marbled along the spine and parts of the wings for sun fading > Testors Enamel Panzer DunkelGelb 1943 > Testors Enamel FS34079 (stripes) > Winsor and Newton Yellow Ocher and White for sun-fading > Tamiya smoke for shading

Bottom Paints: Decanted Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf with panel between the wings dusted with Alclad Dull Aluminum > Panel just aft of the wings Alclad White aluminum > Airbrakes and gun heat shield: Alclad Stainless Steel > engine Testors Buffable Aluminum Plate Metalizer (see work in progress for a diagram)

Decals: Kit decals

1ZU3qft.jpg

OACwuj8.jpg

UrsVvA0.jpg

A4EfUQU.jpg

zTVv5lY.jpg

GIxDKzb.jpg

by4QjWN.jpg

Upe1Y3R.jpg

tg96Nzy.jpg

Hc7RYgJ.jpg

Norxvbo.jpg

Build notes

• In general this is a decent kit.  Special attention needs to be paid to the wing roots and the bottom seam, which kind of puckers to make a trough along the length of the aircraft.  The rivets drove me nuts, but don't seem to bother others.
  • I over-did the top coat and wiped out the marbleing and sun-fading.  The dark stripes and bright red decals draw the eye away from the marbled/faded effect.  I was able to re-create the effect using yellow-ocher and white oil paints rubbed into the surface -- they did a pretty good job of making the aircraft look like it had slightly faded paint.

Hope you enjoy -- thanks for looking!  As always, comments, questions and constructive criticism are welcome!

• Like 16

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great Mig :clap2: ... Personally i think this green is better than the euro 1, thats just my opinion though. 

Yeah, I have a hard time imagining the Euro I Green myself.  I think I prefer it the way it is... but I'm biased! :)

• Like 1