1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - SA.341/HT.2 released

Homebee

On 12/10/2021 at 2:00 PM, Dave Fleming said:

I really might break my 1/72 only vow for this. Love the gazelle. Couple of points on the colour schemes, the AAC aircraft (With the Aussie roundels ) should be olive and black, not two shades of olive, and the early Sharks scheme with the black tail had dayglo red/orange fuselages, not red.

And the French ALAT scheme should be single colour olive, no two tone camp

• 3 weeks later...

Expected now in January 2022 - ref. 48020 - Aérospatiale/Westland SA.341/HT.2 Gazelle

Source: https://www.aviationmegastore.com/arospatialewestland-gazelle-expected-januari-2022-amp-models-48020-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=178607

178607-0.jpg           178607-1.jpg

178607-2.jpg

178607-3.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

This really is a welcome release!  I have built one AMP chopper so far and it turned out great.  Does not fall together and took some actual modeling skill but the result was worth it.  On the other hand I built the KP version of this one and it will go in the bin if I can pick this up as a replacement.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Harold55 said:

This really is a welcome release!  I have built one AMP chopper so far and it turned out great.  Does not fall together and took some actual modeling skill but the result was worth it.  On the other hand I built the KP version of this one and it will go in the bin if I can pick this up as a replacement.

I have the Fujimi one in my stash that I am looking over at right now. 

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - SA.341/HT.2 released

Released - ref. 48020 - Aérospatiale/Westland SA.341 Gazelle HT.2

Sources: 

https://ua-hobby.com/products/1-48-aerospatiale-westland-sa-341-ht-2-gazelle-amp-48020

https://amarket-model.com/product/arospatialewestland-gazelle-plastic-model-kit/

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMP48020

amp48020_540x.jpg?v=1641034559

25025-970.jpg

amp48020-3-1024x1024-2x.jpg

amp48020-13-1024x1024-2x.jpg

amp48020-12-1024x1024-2x.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 12

It might be me missing it, but the decal sheet seems to be missing a third white edged code letter P for the RAF version. It does look like it might be suggested in the decal instructions, but not obviously on the sheet. I also assume that XX406 is as G-CBSH, although it looks like its markings are very faithful to its service days.

43 minutes ago, Filler said:

It might be me missing it, but the decal sheet seems to be missing a third white edged code letter P for the RAF version. It does look like it might be suggested in the decal instructions, but not obviously on the sheet. I also assume that XX406 is as G-CBSH, although it looks like its markings are very faithful to its service days.

I agree it looks like there's a missing "P" for the nose but there are 4 "P"s on the decal sheet. I think the ones numbered 18 go on the sides but I can't see where the ones numbered 17 go. Maybe one of these goes on the nose although there doesn't seem to be a call out on the instructions for any nose letter.

I think two of the P's, the slightly smaller ones without the white trim are for the Army version. There does look to be a bent leader on the instructions pointing at the nose, but I can't make out the number as the image res is too low. It'd be a shame if they have missed off a pretty important marking, but hopefully it'll be alright when released. It's high up on my wish list.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, Filler said:

Just wondering, has anyone picked one of these up yet. And if they have, is there a P missing from the decal sheet (the nose P)for the RAF version?

I have the kit and the only Ps are for the fuselage sides.

Jon

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

I have the kit and the only Ps are for the fuselage sides.

Jon

Thanks Jon.

I know I might sound obsessed over a trivial matter, but in my eyes, missing the decal for the code letter that was prominently on the front of RAF Gazelles is a big mistake. If parting with about 50 quid for the kit, you don’t really want to and shouldn’t have to be immediately faced with spending another 10 quid in aftermarket decals (not that there are even any available anyway).

Still, it does look a nice kit from the photos I’ve seen, and I suppose you’d just have to build it in one of the other marking options.

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

Apart from the missing 'P', how would you rate the kit?

Looks quite nice in the box. The moulding looks a bit softer to me than some of the other recent AMP helicopters like the Huskie.

Jon

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Filler said:

Thanks Jon.

I know I might sound obsessed over a trivial matter, but in my eyes, missing the decal for the code letter that was prominently on the front of RAF Gazelles is a big mistake. If parting with about 50 quid for the kit, you don’t really want to and shouldn’t have to be immediately faced with spending another 10 quid in aftermarket decals (not that there are even any available anyway).

Still, it does look a nice kit from the photos I’ve seen, and I suppose you’d just have to build it in one of the other marking options.

Fair enough. I intend to make one of the RN versions and would be making masks for markings like that anyway, but it should really be complete. 

Jon

On 25/02/2022 at 08:26, exdraken said:

I fear the worst for AMP'S Gazelle kit...are we going to see it widespread in the market??

:(

fingers crossed .... all the best!

Suppose some have been shipped to shops, but I doubt there will be any more deliveries in the near future. 😞

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking at it on Hannants website at the weekend when stock there was showing as 20 , ordered it on Monday when stock had dropped to 18 , delivered today and stock is now down to 14.

Always possible that a re-stock had already left Ukraine before the conflict and are gradually making their way along the supply chain but sadly no HH-43F or H-19 etc.  that were under development for a very long time , if ever.

I've waited a while for a decent 1:48 scale SA.341 Gazelle so this was a welcome release. I would agree that it appears a little pricey for a diminutive helicopter subject but given what individuals were prepared to pay for the old Fujimi kit not so long ago, I think it still works out to be good value for money. As I am sure you have already ascertained the light grey parts are rendered on four sprues and are typical 'limited run' plastic parts. Some may consider them a little light on detail although there are some nice touches; the hand hold on the end of the sponson and the outer surfaces of the instrument console mount are particularly noteworthy. The main rotor blades are also finely rendered. Some of the sprue gates are quite large so care will need to be taken with some of the finer parts and there is flash on some parts, understandable given the 'limited run' status of this kit. The resin parts are also very nicely detailed (especially the main rotor mount). I dare say one or two may have an issue with the totally smooth surfaces since the Gazelle does feature some rivet detail but appropriate decals should take care of this. The one area I have had some difficulty with are the clear parts. At first glance they appear to have a slightly 'wrinkly' effect when held up to the light and they are not the clearest I have seen. In mitigation, I suspect the large clear cockpit would have been notoriously difficult to mould in one piece; maybe AMP should have opted to do it as a two piece since framing runs through the entire structure from top to bottom ?. To be fair, a dip in Future and once offered up to the almost finished model, the parts may be perfectly acceptable but it may be one to look out for. The kit includes some nice 'Quinta' style 3-D decals for the prominent instrument panel which is a nice touch. The decal sheet also looks very nice and, for once, the 'Royal Navy', 'Army' and 'Royal Air Force' titles and serial numbers look right. You also get a set of pre-cut vinyl masks too, so all-in-all the modeller actually gets quite a bit for the money.  

It's seems such a pity that after waiting so long for a genuine 1:48 scale (I understand both the Fujimi and various Heller renditions are nearer 1:50 ?) SA.341 Gazelle, future supplies may now be limited as a result of the terrible events now taking place in Europe.  

Anyway, I hope that is helpful to those contemplating a purchase.

Mark   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Here below you can see the main differnces.

I have superimposed the Aerospatiale drawing from the flight manual to the drawing on Amp instruction for convenience, but you have the same result if you superimpose the kit part to the Aerospatiale profile.

In term of shape, the ancient heller kit is much more accurate, even if it's 1/50 scale.

Unfortunately the shape and dimensional errors in the AMP kit are very difficult to correct.

• Sad 1

Sorry, I dont know how to add a picture from my PC. I don't have any cloud picture hosting service. I tried to cut and paste but it seems that it doesn't work.

Anyway, the AMP kit has the engine cowling area too low compared to the real one and the tail boom too long, resulting in a more slender appearance of the fuselage than the real one.

Daniele,

how accurate is that drawing, as the drawings from manuals are not necessarily the most accurate ones? I ask because I bought the KP Gazelle solely for the main transparency - it's thin and fits the AMP kit perfectly. In fact, kit parts are quite similar in size/shape except for the boom length.

Now, is the Heller kit really 1/50 scale or just too short for 1/48 scale?

Tia,

Vedran

• Like 1