1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - SA.341/HT.2 released

Homebee

On 14/02/2019 at 22:45, Laurent said:

I've cut the cabin plug so that the rear of the passenger window is slightly before the vertical line that passes by the front of the transmission fairing. It seems to me the fuselage and probably the transmission+Astazou fairing may not be deep enough.

Thanks, I didn't notice that and don't know what's going on there, we may need photos from larger distance, but without factory drawings it's indeed difficult, however the exhaust pipe looks certainly a bit short there. I'm more concerned about the rather different shape of the rear bottom of the fuselage though, to me the shape of the main body affect the look of the helicopter greatly, since it's basically a body + a tail. One will not find a photo that match the CAD well here:

Unbenannt.png

Anyway, if the drawings used for the design show "lower" rear skid attachment, that just can not be right, I did check countless photos, except the export versions, which has much higher skid and shorter front "legs", on any other versions if you draw a line through the font and rear holes for the skid, it should really be parallel with the lower edge of the front door. That would really make sense, as the skid is internally mounted to bottom structure(similar to the externally mounted skid of OH-58), normally the bottom structure would be parallel with the cabinet floor and therefore parallel to the lower edge of the door as well.

I did also look at some drawings and compared them to the photos. Here are 2 examples, although more detailed, the lower set of drawings show all those differences I mentioned earlier in the CAD design, when compared with photos I've seen. That's why I thought inaccurate drawing has been used. The upper set of drawings look better in these areas.

drf87c6.png

My point is that there are certainly inaccurate drawings out there!  I would really get an other set of drawings, it may not be better in all areas, but it's like asking for a second opinion, in the end you could have a design that compare more favourably with most photos, not just one particular.  Come on MikroMir/Sergey, you guys have the powers! Please do not turn a subpar set of drawings into real plastic, you put a lot of work into it, that would really be unfortunate,  please let them stay in 1s and 0s.

Edited by delide
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - 3D renders
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - 3D renders+sprues - release in 2021
  • 2 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - 3D renders+sprues+test build - release in 2021
  • 4 weeks later...

KP kit is a reboxing from the old (1979) Heller kit and is in 1/50th scale. Fujimi Gazelle has good scale dimensions and had good surface details for its time, the early eighties but cockpit parts are out of scale and poorly detailed.

How could it be possible to compare the still unreleased AMP kit with its predecessors? 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

The Fenestron looks rather crisp and detailed! Engine area clean at least!

Yugoslavia/Serbia/ Montenegro also use(d) them, to mention one of the not that obvious operators ;)

By the way, the most prolific Fenestron, helicopter, the EC-135 / derivatives / family are cruelly missing in 48th... just saying :D

• Like 2

As I understood from one of the very established members this is a Heller re-pop so outside of the very nice artwork will probably be a disappointing kit (apart from the people that enjoy that kind of thing).

Marc.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MarcV said:

As I understood from one of the very established members this is a Heller re-pop so outside of the very nice artwork will probably be a disappointing kit (apart from the people that enjoy that kind of thing).

Marc.

No Marc, the soon to be released AMP 1/48th Gazelle is definitely a new tool kit. 

The old Heller 1/50th Gazelle repop is the kit currently proposed by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - thread is here: link.

V.P.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/11/2021 at 11:41, Homebee said:

Box art & schemes - ref. 48020 - Aérospatiale/Westland SA.341 Gazelle HT.2

Sources: 

https://www.facebook.com/mikro.mir.dnepr/posts/4747027848708247

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMP48020

258863227-4747009572043408-8526551644526

258823017-4747015888709443-3323535444727

V.P.

I really might break my 1/72 only vow for this. Love the gazelle. Couple of points on the colour schemes, the AAC aircraft (With the Aussie roundels ) should be olive and black, not two shades of olive, and the early Sharks scheme with the black tail had dayglo red/orange fuselages, not red.