1/48 - Aérospatiale/Westland Gazelle by AMP - SA.341/HT.2 released

Homebee

13 hours ago, sniperUK said:

For the AH.1 definitely, but the HCC.4 seats looked like the kit seats. I presume the AH.1 seats were a bit beefier and had protection from small arms fire?

2 hours ago, delide said:

Very nice! Only the nose looks a bit too pointy though, hope that they will check and revise it:

Unbenannt.png

I was trying to work out why it did not look quite right. Thanks 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Nice, I'd say the nose looks perfect now!

But a few other places look different from all photos I've seen, it seems to me that inaccurate drawings are used. Here is a comparison(The photo has been mirrored, but it's doesn't matter here), on the real thing the lower edge of the front door and the 2 attachment points/holes of the landing skid are roughly in line, in the CAD only the front hole is in line with the door, the rear hole is noticeably lower,  I think it should be moved upwards. This will also better replicate the slight nose up stance of the main body. Also the bottom rear portion should be cut in or slim out more, maybe to somewhere like my yellow line there.

skid.jpg

By the way, the nose up stance is rather typical for helicopters, because many are tail heavy(I guess mainly due to the placement of engines after the rotor mast), so by design the rotor mast is slightly tilted forward to move the center of gravity back in line with the rotor mast, otherwise constant forward trimm of the cyclic/swashplate would be needed. Such nose up stance/tail heaviness is more noticeable when looking at a hovering Apache for example. So in complying with the nose up stance the landing skids need to be "tilted" too(rotor mast becomes perpendicular to the ground again)to ensure easier/safer take off/landing on level suffaces.

Another thing is the transmission housing, I'm totally not an expert of the Gazelle though, it just doesn't look like any photo I've seen,  the front hole is shaped differently, the whole cover seems to be too wide, so that the cut out for the rotor doesn't extend wide enough. Anyway, I really like this helicopter, hope this one will be very accurate!

rotor.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Blue Monday said:

There is a "stretched" version of the Gazelle as well as a standard length version. The green Gazelle in the photo above might be the stretched version.

BM.

I did not know that. Thanks 

17 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

And the "cut out" between fuselage and turbine/tramsmission housing looks different. Sorry - cannot explain any better.

That’ll be the engine intake grill that’s squashed then?

I'd imagine the forum below is the place to go if you want to find out any information on any version of the Gazelle. If any technical documents or drawings are available, these guys will probably have them and be more than happy to share. Hopefully the designer of this new kit will contact the people on Aviafora if they have any questions. 

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum/helicopter-fora/gazelles

http://www.aviafora.com/forums/forum/helicopter-fora/gazelles/343-shrieking-gazelles

BM.

• Thanks 2

On 09/02/2019 at 21:49, andy wood said:

From your analysis Delide the front skid stanchion is too far forward when compare to the photo you have supplied 

Sorry for being late, been really busy this week! Also sorry I didn't make it clearer, I said the photo is mirrored, that meant it's shot from the right/the other side of the helicopter than the CAD, I just mirrored it horizontally, so it heads left like the CAD, to show the nose up stance. because the positions of the skid and height of the doors are the same on either side. I just thought the angle of the photo is good, I couldn't find better photo from the same side, so please ignore some other difference😲 The CAD should be OK there.

On a second thought, the doors should be symmetrical too, so I think Blue Monday is right about the stretched version then, very interesting to know!

Edited by delide

On 12/02/2019 at 08:48, Laurent said:

You've found the green Gazelle photo on the web ? If so what's the URL ? I did some overlays yesterday but the photos I've used aren't great.

What's special about the green Gazelle? I found a leprechaun of helicopter or something 🙂  I just google it for some time and found it by accident, never looked at the URL, will try to find it again...

Got it! No direct link but it's on this page(one of the two photos from John Coleman) https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Aerospatiale SA.341G Gazelle

Edited by delide

27 minutes ago, delide said:

What's special about the green Gazelle? I found a leprechaun of helicopter or something 🙂

The fuselage symmetry plane is pretty much in the  focal plane that's all. Perhaps you could look at your browser's history for Feb 9th ?

9 minutes ago, Laurent said:

The fuselage symmetry plane is pretty much in the  focal plane that's all. Perhaps you could look at your browser's history for Feb 9th ?

What? I can't leave browse history?! 😁Just kidding it's too long, but I found it, it's on this page(look for John Coleman) : https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Aerospatiale%20SA.341G%20Gazelle

Edited by delide
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laurent said:

Thanks. I'll try to do some overlays this evening.

You're welcome, But please note that it should be the stretched version as Wafu pointed out, though I think regardless of the version, the bottom rear portion of the fuselage doesn't look good yet, among the other things.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:03 PM, delide said:

You're welcome, But please note that it should be the stretched version as Wafu pointed out, though I think regardless of the version, the bottom rear portion of the fuselage doesn't look good yet, among the other things.

I've cut the cabin plug so that the rear of the passenger window is slightly before the vertical line that passes by the front of the transmission fairing. It seems to me the fuselage and probably the transmission+Astazou fairing may not be deep enough.

AMPgazelle1.jpg

AMPgazelle2.jpg

rickinghamphotoOverlay.jpg

Edited by Laurent
Added overlays
  • Like 2