RAF Phantom in 1/72... by Matchbox

The venerable Matchbox Phantom, built for the CBK SIG display at SMW, and now ready for its photocall! Thanks to the much-appreciated support of @rs2man who kindly provided a Fujimi canopy and resin copy of an Esci F-4J radome, it looks a lot more like a real Phantom than the Matchbox does OOB, in either earlier or re-tooled version. To get them to fit requires some judicious shimming and sanding top and bottom, but it's worth it, IMHO. Decals for a 92 Sqn aircraft from Wildenrath celebrating the Silver Jubilee at Wittering in 1977. What a lot of stencils Mr Ward kindly provided. Anyway, glad I got this done just before this whole palaver becomes unnecessary with the arrival of the new Airfix FGR2...

phantom-high-front-left.jpg

phantom-high-left-side-2.jpg

phantom-low-left-rear.jpg

phantom-very-low-front-left.jpg

phantom-left-profile.jpg

This is where you can really see the difference the new canopy and radome make...

phantom-very-low-front-right.jpg

phantom-high-from-right.jpg

phantom-high-front-right.jpg

phantom-low-right-side.jpg

phantom-very-low-front-left-2.jpg

best,

M.

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

That's a beauty.  Very fond of 92's markings and, personally, I think Phantoms look better in this scheme than the later grey.  That radome and canopy really make a difference.  Definitely worth the effort.

• 7 months later...
4 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Who does a replacement canopy and radome?

Nobody makes a canopy , but you can make a Fujimi one fit - their British Phantoms at least come with 2 canopies , one open and one closed , so someone usually has one spare . As regards the radome , I can supply resin copies of the Esci radome .

John Green 

Nantwich , Cheshire 

Thank you John I happen to have a spare Fuji canopy ....very kind of them and a sun faded  MB alcock and Brown(e) phantom....I will at a later date take you up on your offer.

Good looking rendition btw Crab tooms always very colourful. 

BZ to you

Edited by junglierating