Exhaust stacks replacement for the 1/48 Tamiya Lanc, yeh?

Uncle Uncool

I'm about to start building the Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster kit inspired by Johnny @The Spadgent build, and thought I'm not happy with the plastic pieces brought in the Tamiya kit. Was looking for some resin replacements - the better if hollowed ones - and I just stumbled upon these Barracuda sets for the Spitfire Mk.XIX

BR48092-01.jpg

Do you think they could ever pass as exhaust stacks for the Lancaster engines? Yeh, will need to get four sets of 'em, but I still prefer to do so before using those in the "Temia" kit.

Thanks in "they're" advance, blokes.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

prob'ly not Unc

Spitfire XIX = Griffon

depending on what yr buildin',  6 stack for a Merlin Spitfire is going to be a better bet.....  as always, refer to photos, ie fishtail? round pipes?

the Tamiya kit is a bit of a dog as well, sod those 1/32 kits, it's a 1/48th kit that needs a new tool

HTH

The resin sets certainly look to be the wrong shape, the flatter, exhausts are quite distinct on the Lancaster.

As Rob stated above, it really depends on what aircraft you are considering  ??

Might be as well to stick with the shrouded version . . . .

On 11/22/2018 at 7:41 AM, T-21 said:

Belcher Bits do a nice engine set for the 1/48th Tamiya Lancaster.

Agree...got me some. Very quick delivery from Canada too.

• Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 6:21 AM, Troy Smith said:

depending on what yr buildin',  6 stack for a Merlin Spitfire is going to be a better bet.....  as always, refer to photos, ie fishtail? round pipes?

Hola, Troy!

How’s it going, my mate? Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yeh, I was aware that the Barracuda bits were for the Griffon engines; had the faintest idea that they differed from those in the Merlin ones.

I was searching for some 1/48 Merlin examples, and I came across these Eduard bits.

s-l1600.jpg

Let’s now hope there’s a Lanc with the fishtail exhausts I could build - sans shrouds, that is.

Cheers,

On 11/17/2018 at 7:44 AM, The Spadgent said:

Good luck unc. I can send you some pics if you like. As long as it’s PA 474 you’re building. 

Hi, Johnny Wildcat!

What’s up, chap? How’s the family doing? Has your son taken up some modelling yet? Or Matilda?

Well, I really liked you Phantom of the Ruhr, so it’s much likely that I’m going your way, flap set and all. Then again, I might as well detail the bomb bay as you did.

Cheers,

On 11/21/2018 at 6:38 AM, Bell209 said:

Depending on the aircraft, you may find they're shrouded, too. There's not much see under the shrouds, if so.

Hi, Rob!

Howdy, bruh? I really don’t fancy building my Lanc with their engines shrouded, as I really like the look of the engine stacks protruding from the sides of them. That’s why I’m going through all the grief of having to find good resin substitutes for those in the kit.

Examples of Lancs without engine stack shrouds will be quite helpful.

Cheers,

On 11/22/2018 at 4:41 AM, T-21 said:

Belcher Bits do a nice engine set for the 1/48th Tamiya Lancaster.

Hi, T-21

Appreciate your input. Yeh, I learnt about the Belcher Bits engine correction set a long ago; it’s just I’ve seen that the engine exhasut stacks on it are not too good for the purpose I’m looking after. They don’t look to be hollowed out in the picture, or, in any case, the picture at their page is a tad small in order to see.

Do you know whether they’re good enough or how they look like?

Cheers,

On 11/22/2018 at 6:00 AM, Mancunian airman said:

The resin sets certainly look to be the wrong shape, the flatter, exhausts are quite distinct on the Lancaster.

As Rob stated above, it really depends on what aircraft you are considering  ??

Might be as well to stick with the shrouded version . . . .

Hi, airman

Thanks for your answer. So what about the ones by Eduard I posted above? Any better or even approximate to the flatter ones in the Lancasters?

The shrouded version loses a lot of detail for my particular taste; I rather have the stacks unshrouded.

4 hours ago, t15dja said:

Agree...got me some. Very quick delivery from Canada too.

Hi, t15dja

Thank you too, lad. Could you please tell me what the aspects that are corrected by the Belcher Bits resins that are wrong in the Tamiya kit are, precisely? I’ve never quite caught up on that any well.

Might have to get a set of these if the issues with the engines in the Tamiya kit are very noticeable. Mind you, the Belcher Bits set + 4 Eduard resin stack sets + the Eduard photoetched flap set  + the Eduard photoetched bomb bay set = "me" sheila killing me if she finds out in the credit card balance statement...

Cheers,

Unc2

5 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

The Lancaster Merlin exhaust stubs were similar to the above Eduard set but they lay down flat and not vertical as shown.

Ian,

Think each stub could be cut from the resin block at the root, to then place 'em down flat individually on the sides of the kit engine?

9 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Could you please tell me what the aspects that are corrected by the Belcher Bits resins that are wrong in the Tamiya kit are, precisely?

The new moulded engines (with engraved panel lines) seem to be much better than the original (raised details) versions. I found the Eduard kit was good enough to my eye, after I opened up the radiator cowl flaps a little (I left them modelled closed, as most pictures seem to indicate) and fitted an oil cooler inlet flap to each. The Belcher Bits engines are nice but pricey and Canada's in the middle of a mail dispute at the moment, too!

Re:  the Canadian postal situation.  These are rotating postal strikes, a day at a time, here and there.  Enough to annoy the public but not enough to do any real harm.

The situation is putting a crimp in the Christmas season though I see it didn't stop the Sheriff here in Toronto from issuing me a summons to jury duty.    Canada Post have asked foreign postal services to hold shipments to Canada. 

Back to work legislation is now before the House but has not yet been passed.  It's a majority government so passage could come very quickly. 

On 11/23/2018 at 2:31 PM, Uncle Uncool said:

Hi, Johnny Wildcat!

What’s up, chap? How’s the family doing? Has your son taken up some modelling yet? Or Matilda?

Well, I really liked you Phantom of the Ruhr, so it’s much likely that I’m going your way, flap set and all. Then again, I might as well detail the bomb bay as you did.

Cheers,

All good thanks unc. Fam’s fine. The boy isn’t picking up the plastic as much as I had hoped but what are you going to do eh. 🤷‍♂️ good luck with the detailing of the Lanc. It’s a tough but rewarding path.

Johnny