Today's Airfix Aerodrome - Handley Page Hampden

Dave Fleming

Thanks for sharing the link, Dave. I sure hope we get to see photos of the gunner's station and the rear of the bomb bay so those of us who have been wanting to do the TB version will at last know what that part of the airplane looked like, so we can update our Valom/AZ Models kit! 🙏

Mike

1/72th would sit well with the Wellington, Whitley and Blenheim that Airfix have already released as representing Bomber Command’s primary means of returning the war to the Nazis in the early years (cue understandable demands for a new Battle as well).  1/48th would well suit what is not a particularly large aeroplane but I suspect that Hornby’s bean counters don’t want to lose the prospect of their new BMWs/Audis/Mercedes’ next year.......

10 minutes ago, stever219 said:

1/48th would well suit what is not a particularly large aeroplane but I suspect that Hornby’s bean counters don’t want to lose the prospect of their new BMWs/Audis/Mercedes’ next year.....

The 1/48 Walrus & Defiant didn't seem to harm their future car owning potential.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, woody37 said:

There’s already a pretty good 72 scale one so hopefully a 48 scale one is on the cards

If you mean the AZ/Valium kit it’s not really mainstream, and it’s sales won’t butter Hornby’s parsnips.  IF there’s a new Airfix Hamden I wouldn’t mind if it’s 1/72th or 1/48th: I’d certainly buy one or more of each.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Thanks for sharing the link, Dave. I sure hope we get to see photos of the gunner's station and the rear of the bomb bay so those of us who have been wanting to do the TB version will at last know what that part of the airplane looked like, so we can update our Valom/AZ Models kit! 🙏

Mike

The AZ kit contains the correct shape for the ventral gunner's position and the cutaway bulkhead, although otherwise being the Valom tooling (except transparencies, which fit).  I'm sure that original photos of these areas are available, and have appeared in earlier threads on this board.

19 hours ago, stever219 said:

1/72th would sit well with the Wellington, Whitley and Blenheim that Airfix have already released as representing Bomber Command’s primary means of returning the war to the Nazis in the early years (cue understandable demands for a new Battle as well).  1/48th would well suit what is not a particularly large aeroplane but I suspect that Hornby’s bean counters don’t want to lose the prospect of their new BMWs/Audis/Mercedes’ next year.......

A tactless and I'm sure totally inaccurate way to describe what directs their choice of subjects.

Hornby Hobby's purpose is not to make models, but to make money - or rather to repay the money they owe.

Nobody, especially HH, is going to issue something that would make a loss and to suggest that their choices are motivated by those involved in the Company's finances receiving new cars next year....  I'll go no further less the Moderator blocks me.  Indeed poor choices may result in bankruptcy.

There is no doubt that a Hampden will come, though perhaps not too close to the Wellington.  It could be also be seen as a contender with a new Havoc/Boston/A-20 now welll overdue: plenty of variants, users, colour schemes etc on which Airfix thrive.

If Airfix run true to form, it (Hampden, Havoc, Battle or whatever) will appear first in 1/72 then, maybe 1/48.  Recent releases are notable for their detail.  From conversations at Telford, the drawback to scaling down of 'favourites' such as Sea Fury, Meteor, Spitfire XlV is that the details (on which they pride themselves) would be lost.  There was always a distinct tone of regret at this.  Scaling up however is quite different: the 'basic' shape is produced first with a follow-on to which details are then added.  Sound logic, but I'd still love to see the above in 1/72 though I feel it unlikely.

Now off to try and knock the Trumpeter Sea Fury into shape.....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The AZ kit contains the correct shape for the ventral gunner's position and the cutaway bulkhead

Is that correct, Graham? I have the Valom kit, and I could get an AZ kit, if it indeed has the correct structure for the torpedo bomber version; if not, I can modify my Valom kit, using the posts on the subject that are here on BM. I hate to spend the money if I don't need to. Would you happen to know the kit number for the AZ TB Hampden boxing?

Mike

30 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Is that correct, Graham? I have the Valom kit, and I could get an AZ kit, if it indeed has the correct structure for the torpedo bomber version; if not, I can modify my Valom kit, using the posts on the subject that are here on BM. I hate to spend the money if I don't need to. Would you happen to know the kit number for the AZ TB Hampden boxing?

Mike

Not Graham, but if you are in no rush (I am separated from my stash at present), I can compare the two boxings AZ - one as a torpedo bomber and one normal - did and also get the TB kit number. Somewhere I also have the original Airfix version too. I’ll be reunited with the stash 11/26

No need to go that far, as you can buy the transparency set from Hannants.  The AZ transparencies are needed for the Valom kit anyway, as their transparencies are oversize,  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AVD7007.  Of course, nothing wrong with an additional Hampden.

Just remember that the torpedo bombers were repainted into TSS rather than retaining their bomber camouflage.   Feel free to doubt the value of that statement in court if you like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

I can compare the two boxings AZ - one as a torpedo bomber

Chuck- I have the original Valom boxing, which can't be built as the TB version without modification. The "revised" AZ TB kit number is 7548- that's the one I am interested in. No hurry whatsoever, but if you can confirm what Graham stated that this boxing was modified to correctly represent the cut-down gunners station and aft bomb bay, I would be grateful. I already have the Valom detail set with a torpedo and bombs, as well as the improved transparencies for the Valom kit. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, BTW!

Mike

This is the boxing I would like to know about

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1048539-az-model-az7548-handley-page-hp-52-hampden-tb-mk-i#

Can anyone confirm if both AZ models boxes contain the same parts? I’m wanting to build the RAFM’s TB.1, but finding that boxing is proving difficult. The Mk.1 on the other hand is easy to obtain. I’m not bothered about the decal differences between the boxes, just the parts.

Cheers,

WV908 

I can't absolutely confirm from direct evidence, but did point out the problem with the Valom TB to AZ in time for them to correct their model (after some initial scepticism).  My understanding is that the standard bomber version was released before the new tooling was available and the appropriate torpedo-bomber parts come as a conversion to the Valom tooling.   (New information: in all tooling.)

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure(ish) that the AZ boxing of the Valom plastic with AZ's own clear sprue contains the revised under gunners canopy, its the same sprue in all boxing's, at least in the re-released boxing of the Mk I which I ended up with having missed the TB.I the first time around. What none of the AZ boxing's had, including the TB.I, this was pointed out at the time, is a torpedo, for this, the Valon TB.I conversion kit is the best way forward, but don't used the revised bomb bay doors which are wrong.

Steve.

On 11/17/2018 at 2:34 PM, Denford said:

If Airfix run true to form, it (Hampden, Havoc, Battle or whatever) will appear first in 1/72 then, maybe 1/48. 

I wish Airfix would start running true to form then.  Sea Vixen, Javelin, Meteor, Sea Fury, Walrus, Spitfire XII and XIV, Seafire 17 have all been produced exclusively in the infidel scale.  I'm sure Airfix are right re the problems of scaling down versus up, which suggests the chances of seeing any of these in 1/72 are slight.

Apologies for thread drift.  Now back to Hampdens.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm sure(ish) that the AZ boxing of the Valom plastic with AZ's own clear sprue contains the revised under gunners canopy

Now that I'm home & had a chance to check, I can confirm that this boxing of the AZ kit has all the different clear parts on the clear sprue including the TB.1 under gunner's roost.

Steve.

• Thanks 2

I can see Airfix/Corgi doing a 1/72 Hampden plastic kit and 1/72 diecast , use the same research  and satisfy both markets, would be a win win for manufactures and collectors of both genes .

• Like 1