2nd Republic...1/48 T-34/85 Austrian Army

Reini78

First 1/48 armour contribution to our homeland collection.

My dad uses the Hobby Boss kit, which comes with full interior. Gonna ignore that, won´t display it open.

Will do an early version with numbers and unit insignias not yet applied.

30968758797_9d74f2e22c_b.jpg1956_Sicherung by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

44994817265_28de8001a1_b.jpgT34BH-7-04 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

44091240200_ab03802cf9_b.jpgDSC_0010 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

31974729348_f28b4cdaeb_b.jpgDSC_0010 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

44994496075_b0bd3c03e0_b.jpgDSC_0007 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

44091241130_6cee223033_b.jpgDSC_0008 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

44091240740_6486300c75_b.jpgDSC_0009 by Reinhard Spreitzhofer, auf Flickr

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I never knew the Austrians used the type ? This should be an interesting learning experience.

When the Allied occupation of Austria ended in 1955, the Russians "donated" 27 T-34/85 for the revived Austrian Bundesheer. The tanks saw WW2 combat action and then were stored from 45 to 55. Together with a bunch of US donated M24 they were the backbone of the Austrian tankforce. 

In the late 50ies early 60ies they were replaced with M41, 47 and 60.

A few were dug in and used as fixed positions/pill boxes until the year 2000. A few survivors still exist in some army bases and in our military museum for display.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I shall follow with interest. Tell your Father to use only a small amount of glue on the tracks, they are very thin and dissolve easily. Nice start to a very interesting build.

I would also advise putting the bulkhead between fighting and engine compartment in place. It will stop the hull distorting later. I only made that mistake once....

• Like 1

Hi,

Interesting bit of history there, thanks for sharing this.

Have you been to any of these locations where they dug them in? Never knew that  Austria had such makeshift „bunkers“.

/Stef

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I shall follow with interest. Tell your Father to use only a small amount of glue on the tracks, they are very thin and dissolve easily. Nice start to a very interesting build.

I would also advise putting the bulkhead between fighting and engine compartment in place. It will stop the hull distorting later. I only made that mistake once....

Thanks for the info. My dad has built a Hobby Boss T-34 some years ago and knows that the tracks are not like Tamiya one...🙂

DSCN2771.jpg

DSCN2770.jpg

DSCN2766.jpg

DSCN2772.jpg

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Blaubar said:

Hi,

Interesting bit of history there, thanks for sharing this.

Have you been to any of these locations where they dug them in? Never knew that  Austria had such makeshift „bunkers“.

/Stef

No, never been in such locations, only saw them on pics.

Besides T-34, there were others too. In the mid 80ies our army bought about 300 Dutch Centurions. Afterwards they realized that a modification/modernization would be too expensive. So the turrets were also used for so called "FAn, Feste Anlagen".

Also turrets from decomissioned M24 and M47, Charioteers and other guns were used for such installations.

here´s the last such T-34 that was dug out in 2007

http://www.bundesheer.at/cms/artikel.php?ID=3655

google for "bundesheer feste anlagen" then you find a lot of pics from our cold war relics

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...