Douglas TBD-1 Devastator - T-4 in the Battle of the Coral Sea, May 1942

Ventora3300

I'm ready for another build and haven't done anything associated with the Pacific War so here I go with a Douglas TBD-1 Devastator by Airfix - I thought this would be a good one as although there are several builds of Devastators around the BM Forum, there isn't one in this current GB.

100_2800

Parts are in white plastic, nothing damaged and it all appears to be there. This kit is from 1969 and looks crisp and flash-free.

100_2804

Instructions are the 'locate and cement' type so at least I'll know what all the parts are... I'll build it with wings down and gear down.

100_2799

100_2801

The kit gives the option to do as a TBD-1 from VT-5 on the USS Yorktown or VT-8 on the USS Hornet however, when hunting around for general info and references, I came across and was inspired by the story of Walter Nelson, who was a radioman/gunner in USN Torpedo Squadron 2 in 1942 -see link below.

https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/articles/eyewitness-last-uss-lexington

The clue is in the link but this also ties in with the recent discovery of the wreck of the USS Lexington where she went down in the Pacific during the Battle of the Coral Sea and Walter's actual aircraft popped up on the underwater pictures (the one upside down at the back).

TBD T-4

So, I managed to get some Battle of the Coral Sea decals from Starfighter. 

100_2864

These look excellent - I'll have to work some magic on the provided numbers to finish this kit as T.4, Walter's aircraft.

100_2865

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 15

Those Devastators look amazingly well-preserved, especially the paint. They must be in fairly-deep waters (I see the number '2868' on the left of the photograph - is that metres or feet?). Best of luck on your build!

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1

Hi Ventora,

a great choice! The white plastic is somewhat weird to work with, at least for me. I have 2 kits: one in white and the other in grey plastic... Go figure.

You are going to have fun with the corrugated skin on and underneath the  wings: to have both sides matching is going to give you a few additional grey hair!!!

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

Great subject matter Mike! I really love the Devestator, however for some strange reason have never acquired one. Perhaps it’s that corrugated skin that Jean alludes too but am sure you’ll make a fine job of it. That white plastic looks nice and crisp - trust you to start this GB with a sneaky ‘unauthorised’ extension to the previously finished Classic Airfix GB! 

Good luck and great to see you on board. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 16/11/2018 at 13:24, thorfinn said:

Tagging along with extreme interest! :popcorn:

Thanks Thorfinn - I hope the Devastator will provide some interesting moments.

On 16/11/2018 at 19:16, GREG DESTEC said:

Brilliant!

More classic Airfix 😎

Cheers Greg

Thanks, Greg, I just can't shake off this 'old Airfix' fixation .....

On 16/11/2018 at 19:33, Learstang said:

Those Devastators look amazingly well-preserved, especially the paint. They must be in fairly-deep waters (I see the number '2868' on the left of the photograph - is that metres or feet?). Best of luck on your build!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason, yes the whole subject of underwater filming of sunken wrecks is fascinating and the USS Lexington is particularly so. Who would have ever thought it possible to revisit these historic ships and aircraft?

On 17/11/2018 at 20:34, jean said:

Hi Ventora,

a great choice! The white plastic is somewhat weird to work with, at least for me. I have 2 kits: one in white and the other in grey plastic... Go figure.

You are going to have fun with the corrugated skin on and underneath the  wings: to have both sides matching is going to give you a few additional grey hair!!!

Have fun!

JR

Thanks, JR, I'll keep that in mind, especially when the decals go on, gulp. I was hoping that the white plastic would be a good 'undercoat' but maybe I will end up spraying with grey primer anyway.

On 17/11/2018 at 21:19, Rabbit Leader said:

Great subject matter Mike! I really love the Devastator, however for some strange reason have never acquired one. Perhaps it’s that corrugated skin that Jean alludes too but am sure you’ll make a fine job of it. That white plastic looks nice and crisp - trust you to start this GB with a sneaky ‘unauthorised’ extension to the previously finished Classic Airfix GB! 

Good luck and great to see you on board. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave - this was another aircraft that I was totally unaware of until I started 'collecting' kits in the last few years. Reading up on the history and service of this type has been fascinating so here's hoping I do it justice. I think I'm in a permanent Vintage Airfix Build GB but I can feel all those new tool kits and kits from other manufacturers knocking at the door now so it won't be long before I break out! The quality of this particular kit looks really good so I must check up on when it was first issued. I'm looking forward to all these Pacific GB builds. All the best. Mike.

So, assembly has started with the cockpit and crew area and the wings. I am following the Instructions religiously except where parts need to be left on the sprues for painting before assembly. Instructions 1 to 14 have been completed.

100_2899

Once the crew area was glued into the starboard fuselage half, I dry fitted the port half to let everything harden up in the correct position.

100_2897100_2902

Followed on by the Instructions to get the wings assembled.

100_2901

The wing fit all went well except that I appear to have one section misaligned on the starboard wing leaving a bit of a gap. Port wing went well - not too much glue around to clean up.

100_2909

Instructions continued and engine, torpedo and bomb assembled - I'll be using the torpedo. Oil cooler assembled to the starboard wing and air intake fitted to the starboard fuselage.

100_2903

100_2907

Time to get painting now and I'll go back and check some references for cockpit and wheel well colours etc.

The crew look in good shape with plenty of detail.

100_2895

• Like 7

Looking right smart there mister.If I may give a little tip:If you wish to avoid gaps around the wing/fuse join just glue the top part of your wings directly to the fuselage then fit the bottom parts after everything is nice and dry.I have found that besides for avoiding putty/sanding work it also helps a lot with wing/landing gear alignment.

Once again very smartly done up to now.

Regards:

Shaun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice work! It looks like Airfix actually put a fair amount of detail in the cockpit, considering the age of the kit. I suppose they felt it necessary due to the large greenhouse canopy. And look at those classic Airfix pilots!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks, JR, I'll keep that in mind, especially when the decals go on, gulp. I was hoping that the white plastic would be a good 'undercoat' but maybe I will end up spraying with grey primer anyway.

Hi Ventora,

do not forget there is white primer as well. I actually like it, especially if you have to paint light colors.

It is a really fun kit to build.

Have fun!

JR

• Thanks 1

Nice update Mike. You know with a little bit of plastic strip inside that cockpit that’s not a bad collection of bits you get OOB. A nicely cut vac canopy and a little care with all the corrugated paneling will end up with a not too shabby end result I’d think. Might keep at least one eye out for one of these if the opportunity presents itself, not the first Classic kit you’ve enticed me to get now is it Mike?

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, the South African said:

Looking right smart there mister.If I may give a little tip:If you wish to avoid gaps around the wing/fuse join just glue the top part of your wings directly to the fuselage then fit the bottom parts after everything is nice and dry.I have found that besides for avoiding putty/sanding work it also helps a lot with wing/landing gear alignment.

Once again very smartly done up to now.

Regards:

Shaun

Yes, thanks again Shaun, I'm sure you have given me that tip before and I should have had a go this time with both the main wings and the stabilisers. I'm just not that confident that the fuselage is ramrod straight so I keep thinking I can cater for any twists in the fuselage by compensating with the final angle of the wings. However, in saying that, the port wing fits beautifully without any gaps and the starboard one would have done so too if I had been more careful when making up the half sections. Still not too late to prise the inner section off though and do it again, maybe trimming off the inner locating pins this time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Learstang said:

Nice work! It looks like Airfix actually put a fair amount of detail in the cockpit, considering the age of the kit. I suppose they felt it necessary due to the large greenhouse canopy. And look at those classic Airfix pilots!

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, Jason. Yes, there is more that the usual pins for the crew to perch on and the IP actually has dials moulded in. I should really add in some detail at least to finish off the rear gunner's position so I'll have a look for some reference photos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice update Mike. You know with a little bit of plastic strip inside that cockpit that’s not a bad collection of bits you get OOB. A nicely cut vac canopy and a little care with all the corrugated paneling will end up with a not too shabby end result I’d think. Might keep at least one eye out for one of these if the opportunity presents itself, not the first Classic kit you’ve enticed me to get now is it Mike?

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, you are right of course so it is you who have enticed me to get down to the LMS and stock up on 'scratchable plastic' (I had a look recently in the local craft shop, who do stock Airfix kits, but nothing there). I think I preferred using thick photo paper cut into strips for this sort of thing most recently, after having sickened myself a bit with 1/72 (and then 1/144) PE. I'll have a look to see what any reference pics show. I'm keeping an eye on your P-40 'Never-Hawk' and I know I'll be expanding my horizons beyond Airfix in the near future.  Keep up the good work. All the best. Mike.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, the South African said:

Mike is persuasive that way is he not.......:daydream::daydream:

Regards:

Shaun

HaHa - now that is the kettle calling the pot black! What about that 1/48 P-38 Lightning following on from the Bristol F.2B - I'm bursting to get on to 1/48 for all that extra detail and an eye-friendly experience. What next from you, I wonder?? All the best. Mike.

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

HaHa - now that is the kettle calling the pot black! What about that 1/48 P-38 Lightning following on from the Bristol F.2B - I'm bursting to get on to 1/48 for all that extra detail and an eye-friendly experience. What next from you, I wonder?? All the best. Mike.

I would not say that I have something else up the sleeve for the current group build after the Sunderland/Zero build but I thought maybe something Italian and maybe something 1/35?

Regards:

Shaun

IMG-20181121-192725.jpg 

• Like 2

welcome aboard, and it's another thread/build I've seemed to have missed the start of!! :wall:

I remember my brother building this one when it first came out, those "instructions", and they were, are a real blast from the past. In some ways these written instructions are much better than some you get today......... not looking at you Takom or Trumpeter!!! :rant:

Good luck with this build, I do like the scheme you've chosen and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Thanks 1

On 27/11/2018 at 22:42, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard, and it's another thread/build I've seemed to have missed the start of!! :wall:

I remember my brother building this one when it first came out, those "instructions", and they were, are a real blast from the past. In some ways these written instructions are much better than some you get today......... not looking at you Takom or Trumpeter!!! :rant:

Good luck with this build, I do like the scheme you've chosen and look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Many thanks Rich. In many ways, this is a pretty simple kit but the plus points are a well detailed engine and the cockpit interior parts, IMHO. In fact, the written Instructions for these old kits do contain some critical build hints on the odd occasion which can't be expressed on the diagrams.

I put on some Bronze Green H75 in the cockpit interior to see how it looked and carried on putting some ribbing detail on to the sidewalls, making up front and back bulkheads and a floor which will be seen in the well underneath for the torpedo underneath the fuselage. I'm using thick paper again cut into thin strips and it's looking a bit rough at the moment (Note to self - do the stringers first then put on the former/frame sections which are thicker. Finish off the top of the frames at the cockpit lip).

100_2910

100_2912

I also put some side consoles beside the pilot's seat for some switches etc. More H75 required and we'll see how it looks. before closing up the fuselage.

100_2914

• Like 5

Finished the Bronze Green in the cockpit interior and did a drybrush with Aluminium to take away the 'new' look.

100_2918

Added some colour to the instrument panels and consoles

100_2922

Colour going on the prop and another coat of Light Grey on the undersides and engine gearbox. Crew in progress....

100_2916

• Like 4

Fuselage now closed up, remembering to place in the m/g ring and arrestor hook as 'working features', and wings and stabilisers on. Radio mast still to go on - it bent at the halfway point where it was attached to the tree so is currently in the repair shop.

100_2926

IP and internals are still visible and I think I'll have the canopies in the open position as at take-off. I cut out the slot in the bottom of the fuselage so that I could use the stand - quite small for this size of model. The seam at the starboard wing root has been filled but I think could do with some more.

100_2927

The engine is assembled to the cowling but the cowling only dry fitted at the moment - trying to avoid getting paint on the prop blades for as long as I can - the blade tips need the red yellow and blue scheme which will be fun! I did a lighter colour of khaki for the crew as the colour images I've seen show the flight suits as being pretty light in colour. Tyres and wheelhubs are assembled to the undercarriage legs, just the bracing struts to go on when all put in place.

100_2924

The bomb racks (unused in this case) and the fairing for the torpedo are in place and coats of H64 Light Grey going on the torpedo and underside - there is a lot of wing area on the Devastator. Once the torpedo is in place, you'll still be able to see a fair bit of the inside of the lower fuselage. It surely can't have helped the aerodynamics to have had a large hole there with the back end of the torpedo disappearing inside.

100_2929

• Like 1

Painting of the multi-coloured prop tips in progress - someone else gave me the idea of using a drawn circle to make sure any demarcation lines or decals on the prop blades ended up in the identical place on each blade. I'm making each colour band about 1mm wide which should equate to about 3" in real life. Yellow will go on first then I'll mask the centre of that band and add blue inboard and red outboard.

100_2930

The crew are fully painted now and the torpedo given a 'light grey' head with 'steel' body - seems that way on the colour reference films I've seen. (I won't add the plywood 'boxing' round the fins that I also saw - they must have been trying to improve the directional stability).

A badly focused photo but the 'light grey' undersides are complete and the first coat of the H79 'Blue Grey' is on the upper surfaces and the lower surfaces of the outer sections of the wings. I need to get on with masking the canopies now.

100_2933

• Like 2

I am making this Devastator as T-4, one of those that flew on both days of the Battle of the Coral Sea.

Wait a minute, the decals come with red/yellow blue tips for the prop blades - how considerate! Why am I putting myself through the extra work. You know what decals are like though, will they bed down and not flake later, I wonder.

100_2943[1]

The second coat of blue-grey is on and I'm using these pics to 'inspect' for any touch-ups required. I didn't use any masking so all demarcation lines are 'by hand'

100_2942[1]

Some more coverage required on the engine cowling....

100_2938[1]

Touch up required on the port side... although the colour references I have seen show a soft/squiggly type of demarcation, wrapped round a bit to the undersides of the wing leading edges and right under the engine cowling. The joint of the folding section of the lower wings folding section was pretty tight - difficult to see the line to paint up to.

100_2939[1]

Aerial mast is a bit bent...Looks like I got a 'weathered' variation in the topside colour without even trying!

100_2940[1]

Touch up required on the rear 'sweep' away from the tailplane. The blue grey went on very well and dried pretty quickly but I think another coat with touch ups will give a good finish. Lovely colour that H79!

100_2941[1]

I have since partly drilled out the air intake on the starboard cowling and the exhaust stubs to add a bit more realism.

Edited by Ventora3300