Revell: 50th anniversary Moon landing re-issues

The Tomohawk Kid

Slated for a 2019 Q1 release:

Apollo 11 “Columbia & Eagle” 1/96
Apollo 11 Astronaut on the Moon 1/8
Apollo 11 Lunar Module “Eagle” 1/48
Apollo 11 Saturn V Rocket 1/96
Apollo 11 Spacecraft with Interior 1/32

I assume these will be straight re-issues with no enhancements.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, iSteve said:

Any word if they'll repop the 1/48 Columbia & Eagle with opening 3rd stage?

Its not on the list and given they are re-releasing the Columbia and Eagle 1/96 combo (which covers that base) and the 1/48 combo kit was re-released a few years back as the Buzz Aldrin Hero set, it is almost certainly a no.

The 1/48 LM is not the Revell original, but a repop of the modern Dragon kit.

Tommo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I bought most of the above on the 25th anniversary (1994 for those who may struggle...). They all had specially marked boxes celebrating the event.

Jeff

I sat up watching the original event in 1969! Remember tackling the huge Saturn V kit many years ago. Not an easy build. Very impressive model though!

Allan

• Like 2

Ah, a couple plus one years before I entered this world.

I was a huge real space fan throughout my yoof but (controversy time...) in recent years I find it harder to accept it was real.

No angry debates and politics intended or wanted, we each have our own views and thoughts on everything, so respect all round.

Jeff

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

I sat up watching the original event in 1969! Remember tackling the huge Saturn V kit many years ago. Not an easy build. Very impressive model though!

Allan

I was allowed up to watch the landing itself and the following day at school a Tv was set up to watch the 1st moon walk, memories.

I would throughly recommend Andrew Smith's book  "In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth" the moon landings as seen from a very British perspective and will resonate with many on here, including YT.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2005/apr/24/biography.features

Tommo.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I was a huge real space fan throughout my yoof but (controversy time...) in recent years I find it harder to accept it was real.

That's actually a recognised symptom of a declining civilisation. Literature from the tail-end of any Empire is littered with phrases along those lines, in this case it's the Technological Empire that's fading fast. As a related example it's taking how long to build a next generation Saturn V?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

That's actually a recognised symptom of a declining civilisation. Literature from the tail-end of any Empire is littered with phrases along those lines, in this case it's the Technological Empire that's fading fast. As a related example it's taking how long to build a next generation Saturn V?

Mmmh, interesting. Perhaps the motivation isn't there for a rapid Orion MPCV construction like it was for the Saturn V series (you know, beat 'dem 'der Russkies in space and beyond..).

There's some fantastic documentaries on line about Saturn V construction and testing. It's amazing to think whilst all of the hardware (rockets, modules, spacesuits etc) were being designed, built and tested, the whole Cape Canaveral complex was under huge reconstruction at the same time to be able to assemble and launch the actual Saturn V rockets. A truly enormous project all round. I was able to go to KSC and watch the last ever Space Shuttle launch. All my life a huge space fan and I leave it to the last ever launch to go and see it, and it was the last day of our holiday and we had about 4 hours to get to the airport afterwards.

Jeff

• Like 3

On 11/17/2018 at 12:17 PM, Albeback52 said:

Allan

I was also up watching the First Steps in real time. That was an awesome time to live!

Edited by Tomppa B
  • Like 2

On 19/11/2018 at 11:16, Caerbannog said:

Nice but frankly I find it a bit sad that no proper new tool kit of either Staturn V or CSM / LM are produced. If not now - when? "sigh"

Not one for holding ones breath on, I'm afraid, new space kits are far and few between these days.  Back in the '60s and early '70s the space programme was nightly news and very much the zeitgeist. Now the current space programme is only newsworthy, when something goes wrong, which thankfully is a very rare occurance.

Tommo.

I think it's not that space isn't newsworthy (Musk's Tesla in space, anyone...?) It's that as subjects, the current generation of launchers are, mostly, boring. Heller did a couple of Arianes, for La Gloire, but a SpaceX Falcon or ULA Delta Heavy or Vulcan are just pointy tubes, without even the benefit that (equally dull-shaped) airliners have of being available in many different liveries. Revell did a Virgin Galactic White Knight and Spaceship 2 recently, which was a much more interesting-looking beastie. I think it'll take the arrival of some new, more interesting and high-profile hardware like helicopter Mars "rovers" or lunar colonisation pods to get the big model companies interested again. (The fact that a model of a Space X booster landing after a flight would reproduce the most revolutionary event in spaceflight since first ISS crew arrived, or maybe even before that, doesn't make it any more interesting to your average model kit buyer...)

Meanwhile, even though the big model companies are resting on their existing toolbanks, the likes of RealSpace, NewWare, Horizon and Belcher Bits are continuing to knock out reasonably-priced resin kits with plenty of detail. Hell, there was even a Manned Orbiting Lab build in Airfix Model World not that long ago... I am a bit surprised that Round2, Moebius or Pegasus or Atomic City aren't doing some realspace models of NASA's planetary landers and probes...

In the mean time, though, this is free:

http://paper-replika.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6762:mars-rover-curiosity-paper-model&catid=139:space&Itemid=200144

Best,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon
speeling
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:59 AM, pinky coffeeboat said:

Mmmh, interesting. Perhaps the motivation isn't there for a rapid Orion MPCV construction like it was for the Saturn V series (you know, beat 'dem 'der Russkies in space and beyond..).

There's some fantastic documentaries on line about Saturn V construction and testing. It's amazing to think whilst all of the hardware (rockets, modules, spacesuits etc) were being designed, built and tested, the whole Cape Canaveral complex was under huge reconstruction at the same time to be able to assemble and launch the actual Saturn V rockets. A truly enormous project all round. I was able to go to KSC and watch the last ever Space Shuttle launch. All my life a huge space fan and I leave it to the last ever launch to go and see it, and it was the last day of our holiday and we had about 4 hours to get to the airport afterwards.

Jeff

While I've visited KSC several times I never went down to see a shuttle launch and I live about an hour and a half away. 

• Haha 1