B-17G 381st BG 532nd BS - 43-37675 **Completed**

RJ-WobblyHands

Here we go,  a little late starting (broken wrist did not help)  my entry will be ,following my 1/72nd build theme  the USAF (and Eagle Sqaudrons needed a Spitfire with Roundels)  in  Essex 1939-1945, from the only heavy Bomber group based in Essex  the 381st at RAF Ridgewell. 

My choice was to build the obvious : "Sleepy Time Gal" - just buy the decals or build a slight less obvious but well documented aircraft  "Patches" also known as "Flak Magnet" and "Trudie's Terror" 43-37675.  This is the aircraft that was used on the 1997 32c Stamp  http://www.381stbg.org/stamp4.php

I will be building the new tool Airfix kit - it has been under the bed for  a year now - the model I bought on my return to modelling and the reason I caught the bug again (lol the Airfix B-17 Box art has a lot to answer for took me back to being a young teenager!)

Box Opened :  every thing still in wrapper ! 

u5jZUuo.jpg?1

70chquR.jpg?1

Updates this weekend as I finally make a start

• Like 4

Plastic  has been cut and glue been used on cut plastic (not like the old days where almost as much went on my paws!) 

A relaxing Sunday afternoon was spent on sub assemblies  and more parts of sub assemblies

VWO9766.jpg

Along with the fuselage interior just enough to crack open the airbrush. Now what colour green is that I need :P ?

• Like 5

Well I am now 11 days into this project and still nothing major  actually attached - my usual glacial pace on the upside I have done plenty of painting

HweIyYd.jpg

DvB9hx1.jpg

Cockpit -  Side walls Olive Drab to represent the padding not  brown as per kit instructions , Floor DDG with some black for the anti-slip mats

HeHzFEu.jpg

Fuselage interior sprayed and I have made a start on the wheel well assembly 

OQVP5ze.jpg

eLJLe2T.jpg

• Like 5

I thought Airfix were a bit mean to the heroic B-17 pilots - no seat padding !! - Out with the Milliput, I left the padding surface rough to make them look 'lived in' , with the leftovers, let's make some oxygen bottles for behind the pilots seat.

jUjtgvw.jpg

• Like 2

:hmmm:those yellow oxygen bottles do look striking. Even when looked through the small cockpit windows they will be seen, but not much of their details or lack of it... fortunately so. Maybe my build will also get some very basic blobs. V-P 

12 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:those yellow oxygen bottles do look striking. Even when looked through the small cockpit windows they will be seen, but not much of their details or lack of it... fortunately so. Maybe my build will also get some very basic blobs. V-P 

Yup that was my thought , its 1/72nd scale through the canopy windows - it is 3 yellow containers that look like oxygen tanks - I doubt 99% of people looking at these would really notice any lack of detail at usual viewing distance.

Oy8ILhL.jpg

• Like 1

I found a "real" vintage oxygen tank sold at eb... quoted with dimensions 12"x24". I wonder if they are correct? That's 4,2mm x 8,4mm in 1:72, which could be made of a 4mm plastic rod (sprue?) with rounded heads and a thick layer of yellow paint. V-P

• Like 1

The Northeast production line is still moving a glacial pace 

Dry fitting the interior as it is seeming very snug, with gentle sanding is the name of the game - good old soft plastic :) , I have made a start the wings finally 1 look at the ball turret convinced me to order a set of masks, I did not fancy a session of making all the masks (When I start my Meng F-35 for the Lockheed STGB please refer me back here .. when I say I will make the RAM masks !!!) 

On with the photos

Dry fitting fuselage : note to self do not glue everything together, fit the ball turret !

HbzB0LO.jpg     

NgDjSJs.jpg

The wings , Undercarriage wells. Colours : Vallejo Dull Aluminium , Exhaust Manifold, with a oil wash to make it dirty.

4FeroWk.jpg

h8EyhAC.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

Onto the Ball Turret ... *wishes Airfix had designed it so it could  fitted after painting the fuselage* , but never mind lets assemble something the same size as my fingertip lol

Before fitting Seat, note for fellow builders , the gun barrels are a very tight fit, I had to remove the paint I already had put on.

LmdHj9Q.jpg

After a fitting seat 

G6OHxrm.jpg

cc4B7q0.jpg

Masks arrived today - just in time ! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

is it really nearly a month since my last update ... err yes , work , family , christmas and still suffering the after effects from a  broken wrist, impacted on my my modelling time... progress has been made over the festive period ( I have this week on vacation !)

The ball turret was assembled and painted ... oops forgot to take pictures :(

The last picture before the fuselage was joined together

1oxRCEO.jpg

Several dry runs and gluing a small section at a time from nose to tail we ended up with this

3KZzMQn.jpg

EnzQ7TG.jpg

It is very very snug around the ball turret ! 

The wings have been assembled  and primed ( I chickened out of opening up the vents on top of the wing - I failed badly on a dry run on a piece of plasticard !

PS5MVXl.jpg 

I am going to fit the cheeks and tail turret now since I will be painting them - so interior masked ready for primer 

gTqd29a.jpg

More soon !

• Like 4

A little more done - I will have to up the pace a little to get this one finished in time !! 

Glazed parts added , that rear turret fit !! - nice step thanks Airfix , wish I had done a little more research I have since found several builds have added the rear turret to each side to get a nice fit the fiddle with the seam !  Oh well it was dry fit hell , fudge and fit as best it could  fill , sand, fill sand... now I am ready to prime the fuselage , and see if any more filling is required

Engine parts assembled and painted

2zdGCI2.jpg

wKDSxQn.jpg

JhtSZMZ.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Update 22nd Jan :  Bad me no pictures in Primer!! 

Wings and stabilisers added and a couple of coats of Vallejo Dull Aluminium added as a base coat. I think it looks better than Aluminium as this is not an aircraft straight off the production line - I plan to give her some patches of aluminium and maybe dark aluminium.

She is currently masked up ready for the red tail and wing tips that the 381st sported , then onto engine fitting and under carriage  - I will finish this before the deadline !! 

Zxrnblp.jpg

• Like 4

OMG - 2 updates in 2 days She has started getting her 381st Colours added : Red tail and wing tips

I have masked off the Triangle on Starboard Wing - Sprayed White , when this is dry I will Mask the L  (3mm thickness seems the correct letter width), then spray Off Black - I was thinking Tamiya NATO Black to simulate some fading

z79djKa.jpg

Oops the Revell Eurofighter of Doom is in the background !

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

That looks REALLY good, but do I shock you more than mildly, if I suggest the L was actually just unpainted, natural metal that was masked off when the black triangle was painted? V-P

Yes and No :) I debated that several times ... then probably mistakenly looked at a picture in bright sun and it looked more white than NMF , but yes looking again at several pictures of the actual aircraft i see it should NMF (bad me) ,  the tail markings sometimes the L looks NMF,  sometimes white, the numbers and Squadron letter are definitely white.

• Like 1

While the NMF on the wing letters seems natural (no pun) because it is simpler/easier to just spray the black, I think the tails that have an overall solid color -- red tails for the  1st Combat Wing (including the 381st BG) and yellow tails for the 4th Combat Wing -- are a different matter. I don't think they would mask off the letter and Triangle/Square and then paint around them.

I'd guess the tails got shot the overall color and then markings applied after, leading to white letters.

I might be wrong, but that certainly seems like it would more logical process.

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron

Interesting things in that photo. I would say you're right that the left two planes are NMF and the two farther away are white. Must have depended on who was on paint detail that day.

(actually, I have a theory on why this might be the case)

A couple other observations from that pic:

The squadron ID "N" on the closest plane is considerably larger than codes on others.

The squadron ID "S" on the lower plane is included on fuselage, while other planes do not.

media-380065.jpg

----

Here's a shot of another NMF Fortress from the Group  that has white on the tail. Interesting serifed "B" Squadron ID.

media-16658.jpeg

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron