B-17G 381st BG 532nd BS - 43-37675 **Completed**

RJ-WobblyHands

My theory is the nearest plane is 'Patches' ,'Flak Magnet' and she was repaired quite often - one story - she came back with over 200 holes in her so the tail has probably been repaired -- parts of the tail could be new and they just masked an L painted Black and Red for squadron colours etc - rush job so as long as it was close it passed inspection

• Like 1

My theory worth less than :2c:: I think is was just a matter of improved and improvised efficiency. The L:s were painted black on a white triangle when the fin center panel was green. When nmf aircraft started to appear in early -44 the colours were reversed to retain the visibility of the triangle. When all 1st CBW aircraft, od or nmf, got their empennage painted red, the od planes that were left got their triangle colours reversed. One day one paint crew may have realized they´ll save both time and paint if they only paint the black triangles with the BG codes masked to remain in nmf. The change happened also in 91st and 398th BG aircraft. Does that sound possible scenario? V-P

• Like 1

My theory is along those lines, but doesn't go as far back as the OD planes.

(to get the dates of marking switches I referred to some info from Roger Freeman: Mighty 8th AF Markings and Heraldry)

When the 381st BG started getting NMF planes in March 1944, the 1CW colors weren't being used yet. The 1CW started using the high-visibility red in late June. That means there was a period of about 3-1/2 months before the red was added. So the tails on those planes would have been just black triangles painted over NMF just like the right wing.

My theory is that for the existing NMF planes already in use they just masked that and painted the red around the existing triangle (with NMF "L") right there at Ridgewell. But those new planes arriving after the June switch were shot in red first because it was more efficient, then the black triangle added, meaning the "L" would be added in white. I suspect those also got their colors added upon arrival to England as they were assigned to the 1st Combat Wing because the 91st/381st/398th all had red tails with black triangles -- then the A/L/W would be added when they were dispersed to their respective bases and the Squadron painters added the codes according to their specs.

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
  • Like 1

Creeping towards the finish line - still hoping to get inside the time limit 

I failed badly at creating masks  and spraying the letters/numbers for the tail and Squadron markings so  there has been a serious amount of fine sanding ,  , priming , masking and painting , also the wing Triangle L has also been redone - L now  NMF !  Decals have been made and applied to starboard side 

Props , landing gear etc have been sprayed

M5Rw23T.jpg 

• Like 4

tick tock ... She will be finished today ! 

Satin coat drying on upper surfaces , satin coat on bottom then remove masks and finishing touches!

IULBsIp.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

Well Surpringly I have completed her inside the time limit - Here she is as per title B-17G 'Flak Magent'/'Patches' or 'Trudies Terror'  as she was known over her combat lifetime No.  43-37675 of the  81st BG 532nd BS based at RAF Ridgewell in Essex.

PeFJIeh.jpg

UGX6WP6.jpg

5KttziA.jpg

hGNdhcC.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 8

• RJ-WobblyHands changed the title to B-17G 381st BG 532nd BS - 43-37675 **Completed**