Eduard / Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.Ib questions

F/A-18Fordie

Hello All,

I recently decided to get back into building model airplanes while visiting my parents a few months back. I found an old PBY-5 kit in 1/48 scale sitting in my old bedroom that I had never gotten around to building. It flew back to California with me in carry on!

Now I'm just waiting on my compressor to ship and I'll be ready to start building!

In the mean time I ordered the Typhoon Mk.Ib bubbletop kit from Eduard. While looking at the website I saw "overtrees" for the same kit. My question was about decals. Will the kit I recently ordered have 6 complete decal sets so I can use the others on the "overtree"? If not is there an aftermarket maker for decal sheets?

Sorry for the questions, it's just been a very long time since I built a model airplane! Hell the brands I remember building growing up all seem to have disappeared! 

Josh

Also saw the car door overtrees. Are there any decal sets out there cor this kit?

The Eduard website includes images of the kit parts, including the decal sheet. 

Looks like you'll need to find wing roundels and RWB tail stripes at least for any additional builds. Presumably the same will apply to the stencils, though the image isn't big enough to confirm,

Cheers,

Bill.

13 hours ago, gingerbob said:

As a start, try searching "1/48 Hawker Typhoon decals".  That'll keep you busy for a while.  Aeromaster made a series of "Storms in the Sky", but be careful not to fall in love with a Tempest by mistake.

Thanks! I'm seeing several options from different companies. Do you have any recommendations as far as quality and ease of application? Trying to make the first build back as pain free as possible. 

HI Josh - the eduard decals will work very well, as will pretty much any modern aftermarket decal. TBH though all you'll really need if you plan to use the spare squadron codes and serials from the eduard kit are some extra RAF roundels & fin flashes - again there are several aftermarket sources for these - and you have the bonus of roundels that an be used on future models of other types.

The Hasegawa/Eduard Typhoon is a great kit - it builds easily and pretty much looks the part. The only area to be careful with, is the upper fuselage insert round the cockpit that caters for the early "car door" variant and later "bubble" version.  The consensus is thats its better to  glue these inserts into each fuselage half before you join them together. This gives a better fit and its easier to tidy up the joins etc etc.

In the USA you can often find out of production decal sheets ( like the Aeromaster Typhoon ones) from Ultracast in Canada

https://www.ultracast.ca/category-s/521.htm

see what I mean!

Welcome back - and happy modelling

Jonners

• Thanks 1