1:48 V2 / A4 and Jupiter C rocket - finished

Caerbannog

These two linger on my shelf of doom for a while now. They are mostly primed and basically just wait for some paint and final assembly. I know this will be not as simple - there will be something unexpected... There always is.

KUTA Rockets 1

The Pegasus V2 or better A4 will be more tricky when it comes to masking. The kit itself is simple, has heavy surface structure and I have the slight feeling that it is not super accurate. There comes a base with the rocket which seem to be pure fiction.

The Jupiter C is from Glencoe and a very old tool with badly warped parts. I recall that I did some pictures during assembly. I will post them here, when I find them.

René

• Like 4

Great stuff Rene

I saw a real V2 (A4) at Hendon RAF museum, its much bigger than I thought it was. 

My mum lived in the east end of London during the blitz and said her memory of the V2 was that the sound arrived after it had exploded !

Look forward to seeing these ones finished 

cheers Pat

• Like 1

Thanks Pat.

I saw the one in the Imperial War Museum many years ago 🙂 Another visit is long overdue. In fact it is long overdue to go to GB at all. My last trip was to Newcastle - I piced up the first release of Airfix 1:72 TSR2, so you can guess how long that is ago 😞

Sorry to hear about the terror you mum experienced in her childhood. Awful times.

Made some progress on the A4:

KUTA Rockets 2

When masking it showed that there must be something wrong with the kit - the "vent covers" at the rear end should be on all four sides it seems but there are just two of them. And while masking the rear end I thought that the fins are not quite the right shape and seem to be too wide and rounded where they meet the "fuselage".  Well - it looks like a V2...

I will be off over the weekend but guess I can do some more work tonight.

René

• Like 2

Hi Rene

Thanks for the kind word regarding my mum, I would imagine all kids growing up in Europe during those years had lots more problems without the occasional visit from a V2 !

I love the colour scheme on the V2, reminds me of those pictures of warships with the amazing patterns to stop you working out what it was !

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Correct Anil, it is the Pegasus kit.

Masks removed:

Kuta Rockets 3

I did the touch ups and even found the decals of the... eh... "nose art"???

KUTA rockets 4

You see the stand is quite strange, but I will ot put any work into this apart from a bit of paint.

Meanwhile the Jupiter C received some white paint from a spraycan.

KUTA rockets 5

René

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

One step forward, two steps back... I do not know what went wrong but there is somthing not right with the details on the verx bottom and the welding seams on the rocket - they just did not match, so I cut the kit in two to solve this problem and to add some missing vents ignored by the kit:

KUTA rockets 8

I cut right in the notch of the rocket. To recreate this I cut a circle from sheet with a slightly smaller diameter, Because of the badly warped kit parts another spacer was needed to get a half decent round shape again.

More pics will follow next week.

Rene

• 3 weeks later...

So... the rockets are done. Was a bit shy with updates but continued the work on the rockets - Jupiter mainly.

First I recected the clumpy kit parts for the antennas and replaced them with stretched sprue:

KUTA rockets 12

Then I detailed the Explorer a little bit with spare decals (I have three Jupiter kits - two for a Redsone conversion and another rocket project) which were touched up with white paint after they dried and added antennas made of thin wire:

KUTA rockets 13

So- both rockets are done:

KUTA rockets 15

At last I gave the bases a simple paint job:

KUTA rockets 16

I will post pics in the gallery as soon as I can take better pictures.

Thanks for watching,

René

• Like 1