De Havilland DH 110 2nd prototype WG240 1/72 Whirlykit vacform

Not one for the faint hearted but if you want one and it's the only one available... It seems to be one of those kits that you need to build one so that you can find out how to do it properly.

Main problem area was the layout of the cockpits. There seems to be no information available and I could not get the resin u/c bay and cockpit into the nose together. Maybe a Sea Vixen replacement set would be the answer. I don't think that the ejector seats are the right type either. I ended up sawing off the top halves. The glazed areas for the observer were made by replacing parts of the fuselage moulding by some chunks of clear polystyrene from an old stand and sanding to match the fuselage shape. They were then polished and masked off before painting.

Fitting the fins to the booms was not easy as the bits that join together were different sizes. It was bodged with bits of sheet and then strengthend by pouring in a mixture of Ca and talc to act as filler/glue. Milliput was used to get the forward and aft portions to match.

I thought that the fin chord  was too short so the leading edges were extended. Apart from that the dimensions and shape seem to be about right.

I wasn't happy with the decals. Most had some white showing around the edges and after finishing the job I found a picture of the 110 showing the ones on the fuselage to be in different positons to those specified and the WG240 on the undersides looked a lot smaller on the real thing.

The finish was interesting. Originally I was going to use gloss black enamel but after putting on black Alclad primer I noticed that it had a slight sheen so I polished it with T-Cut and got a most satisfactory result.

Hope you like it and find this of interest

p?i=6530ab7cb4da6ca5b14746bd1f73ef77

p?i=b893f58c0fdaecb30ccf50591cbdeee4

p?i=e459eeb6096371bdff9741ba5c0e84b4

Together with prototype Vampire and Venom

p?i=3654d297bed0d589b9ef6579e8abbe05

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Well done John, having built this kit (well, the original Project-X version) I can appreciate what you've done to get it finished. Looks good with the Vampire and Venom, they really highlight the size and bulk of the 110.

What's next?

Steve

2 hours ago, BritJet said:

Well done John, having built this kit (well, the original Project-X version) I can appreciate what you've done to get it finished. Looks good with the Vampire and Venom, they really highlight the size and bulk of the 110.

What's next?

Steve

Thank you. I wondered how many did actually get finished. Next? Well I picked up a Supermarine 525 at Telford and I am trying to see if a Supermarine 535 can be cooked up from a Testors's Swift.