Tamiya Pearl Harbour Zero

Will Vale

41 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

I have put together the rest of the fuselage ready to install the cockpit module, but there's a very slight gap at the wing roots and I left the wings off while I thought about how to deal with it.

Try spreading the fuselage outwards using a piece of sprue, that should do it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 10:09 PM, Sturmovik said:

Try spreading the fuselage outwards using a piece of sprue, that should do it.

That sounds perfect, thanks! Not a lot of room with the cockpit module but I'm sure I can find a way to get it right.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Will Vale said:

That sounds perfect, thanks! Not a lot of room with the cockpit module but I'm sure I can find a way to get it right.

Cheers,

Will

Try fitting one immediately aft the cockpit. I did that with my Eduard 109.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

No it's languishing in the box... I'll see if I can get it stuck together at some point. Sorry for dragging this thread up again with no positive news.

NB: I have put a load of the ash green on some Gundam pieces, so I've done something Zero-adjacent, at least 😛

W

• Like 1

Nice work so far. As far as the wheel well color is concerned it was done 2 ways. Mitsubishi

painted the wheel wells the body color. Nakajima painted the wheel well color that blue green

color. Unfortunately the Pearl Harbor Zeros were early Zeros built by Mitsubishi and would be

the body color. Here is a piece of an A6M2 Zero shot down on December 7, 1941. It's an almost

caramel color, this would be the planes' over all color as well as the wheel wells. You can also see

the red primer used under the body color.---John

UZDyG52.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the color I used. The PH Zero on the right and an A6M3-32 on the left. Also

note the fabric control surfaces are a gray color unlike the body color. You can see in

the photo above that the rudder is different than the tail. HTH---John

9Z1Fq5O.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Johnv said:

Here is the color I used. The PH Zero on the right and an A6M3-32 on the left. Also

note the fabric control surfaces are a gray color unlike the body color. You can see in

the photo above that the rudder is different than the tail. HTH---John

9Z1Fq5O.jpg

They both look splendid!

Whose paint did you use for the Mitsubishi airframe colour? The contrast with the fabric-covered surfaces is beautifully done! Excellent all-round and well-worth waiting for - I'll be getting on with one of mine now :)

Kind regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I don't use an airbrush so I matched as best I could with Tamiya rattle can

spray TS-68 wooden deck tan. It actually needs a touch of green in it but it is close enough

for my eye.---John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I guess I should do some more on mine :) Thanks for the paint chip, I'm not sure if I'm going to follow the advice but yours do look very good in that colour.

Cheers,

Will 

• Like 1

Hi Will,

just to throw another iron into the fire, so-to-speak, for the colour of Mitsubishi-built Zeros after speaking at length to Nick Millman I've settled on Mission Models MMP-110 "J3 Special Light Grey Japanese Zero (Amber)" as this seems to be the closest match to the original shade - see Nick's Painting the Early Zero-Sen.

I'm afraid I can't offer any photos of it yet, as I've been a bit low on mojo and also side-tracked by Airfix's Spitfire Vc, so my Zero is currently languishing in its box where its awaiting the sanding of some filler (caused by my cack-handedness) and the rescribing of a few panel lines.....

Kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1