1/35 Hobby Boss Tiger II

Farmersboy

One of many bargains I've found on eBay recently, this does indeed look like an accurate representation of a late model Tiger Ausf B. I'm sure several of you guys have already built it. 

So, the obligatory sprue shot - 

q2lkjUd.jpg

• Like 1

This kit is crazy cheap for what you get in the box, so cheap in fact that if you want an after market metal barrel & workable tracks for a Kingtiger or E-75 etc it's worth just getting this kit for the parts.

• 3 weeks later...

I realised that I hadn't posted any progress, so let's redress that. The kit all seems to go together quite well and the surface detail is crisp. Everything is there to make the 'what-if' late-model Tiger Ausf B as shown in the excellent Lentz and Doyle second volume on the Tiger, bu there are one or two things to note; you should omit the jack and wooden block, and this model was supposed to have been equipped with a Stg. 44 in the bow, not an MG34. If there is anything else in error I either haven't spotted it, or I'm not going to address it - it's a paper panzer after all.

From the photo you'll see I've tried putting the kit tracks together, and let's just say a Fruil set will be on its way - they are a nightmare to assemble compared to metal links and some wire!

TNsCPcO.jpg

• Like 3

OK, more discoveries. The instructions tell you to fit the turret front plate without the gunsight aperture. I did this. Oops - you need to fit the other one included (shown here on top of turret), as the rangefinder does not replace the monocular gunsight, it compliments it. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, drill it out and fit the rain shield, or ignore it.

Also, if you fit all the little mounting plates for the track skirts, you'll need to sand off the little triangular mounting stubs on the inner face of the track guard - I can only assume it's an either/or, either use the little stubs, or sand them off and use the mounting plates. 

Friul tracks arrived today, set ATL-37, which are the late model single link tracks with 2 18-tooth drive sprockets, which are also in the kit (standard was 9 tooth I believe). 

Hoping this will help out people who are looking t build this kit.

1vzrxnk.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 9:51 AM, Farmersboy said:

OK, more discoveries. The instructions tell you to fit the turret front plate without the gunsight aperture. I did this. Oops - you need to fit the other one included (shown here on top of turret), as the rangefinder does not replace the monocular gunsight, it compliments it. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, drill it out and fit the rain shield, or ignore it.

Also, if you fit all the little mounting plates for the track skirts, you'll need to sand off the little triangular mounting stubs on the inner face of the track guard - I can only assume it's an either/or, either use the little stubs, or sand them off and use the mounting plates. 

Friul tracks arrived today, set ATL-37, which are the late model single link tracks with 2 18-tooth drive sprockets, which are also in the kit (standard was 9 tooth I believe). 

Hoping this will help out people who are looking t build this kit.

1vzrxnk.jpg

Aww man, thank you for continuing to post, I am following this with great interest

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

They are an absolute pain to put together. Fiddly connecting pieces between each link, and no template to set them out on. I have a pet hate with individual links in kits, as they are either nigh-on impossible to put together, or they don't articulate. What's the point? And when you're done you've still got to paint them. Save on the cost of the kit by just having vinyl tracks, making it more economical to buy aftermarket tracks like Friul, which are easier to assemble, are fully articulated and sag properly, and can be easily burnished instead of painting them. Some kits you have to glue the track link horns on, which is technically known as taking the piddle. 

Sorry, rant over.

Thank you for your opinion.

After a tiny research it turns out to be surprisingly hard to find workable plastic tracks for Tiger II/ Jagdtiger. The choice is to either get €30 Friul tracks or some individual but non-workable ones for half that price. I wish Miniart make more tracks just like their T-55 ones. Oh, well, I'll have to find out the best by myself.

Any updates on the build?

Edit/

I forgot about Meng tracks. Seem to be just perfect except the price, which is just few cents cheaper than Friul.

Edited by TapChan