Unusual B-17 Variant spotted

Mikey-1980

Morning all!

Whilst up at Hack Green, the not so secret Nuclear Bunker, just west of Natwich in Chesire for the "celebration" of my 38th year of being ejected into this world, I spotted this unusual variant of an RAF B-17. I'm guessing it was adapted for the Royal Oberserver Corps during the late 1940's early 50's.

Maybe an idea for someone to adapt a B-17G?

45830709552_b4065dab8c_z.jpgDSC_1839

32009004298_ba91c626f8_z.jpgDSC_1840

32009004498_a6e2d8b631_z.jpgDSC_1841

45880443321_0bca13cc90_z.jpgDSC_1842

44967147915_b0b10f3c22_z.jpgDSC_1845

I hope I managed to get some decent shots?

There was also a fantastically HUGE model of a Shackleton when you enter the bunker too.

44967140495_6fb2267609_z.jpgDSC_1847

30941203637_726dc32a69_z.jpgDSC_1848

Also, on gaurd duty, a nice little Jet Provest.

44967140055_fca34c88ba_z.jpgDSC_1850

Edited by Mikey-1980
  • Like 6

That certainly does look very similar to the RAF model I saw.

I wasn't aware that the B-17 was used in this format for the RAF and the observer corps?

Would make a great subject for anyone looking to build a slightly unusual B-17 variant?

• Like 1

What Dennis said- it sure looks like an SAR SB-17G, but the air-droppable lifeboat appears to be a British version, as the hull is not nearly as long and is more blunt at the stern  than the one in the photo CFFU posted. The serial appears to be BU219, which is weird, as my searching for RAF B-17G (Fortress III) serials came up with 85 that were accepted by the RAF. the 1st 30 came from Boeing and the remainder came from Lockheed-Vega. The RAF serials were all in the HB- KH- KJ- and Kl- blocks, so not sure what's up with that serial on the model. Interesting!

Mike

I suspect the model is a ‘what if’.  It certainly resembles a SB-17G, but I’ve never seen one in RAF service. As far as my research over the years suggests, any Forts remaining with the RAF at the cessation of hostilities either were scrapped or returned to the US as part of the lend-lease programme and all were gone by late 1946. 

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff Arnold said:

Hi all 

For anyone that wants to build this SB17G it is available in 72nd scale by  Academy. 

Yep- I meant to post that; kit 2165 Thanks for reminding me, Geoff.

Mike

• Like 1

Fantastic research and knowledge by all again. I knew that someone who know what this was :)

Incidentally, there is a kit being sold on FleeBay right now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Academy-Boeing-SB-17-AIR-RESCUE-SERVICE-1-72-Sealed-Bags/264013300704?hash=item3d786b43e0:g:OrwAAOSws0pb124o 

The BU219,( not an RAF seial!!) is most likely an adaption of the USAF buzz number system B indicating Bomber type the U for utility and the last three of the US serial number. Normally shown on aircraft as BU-219 for example

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

The BU219,( not an RAF seial!!) is most likely an adaption of the USAF buzz number system B indicating Bomber type the U for utility and the last three of the US serial number. Normally shown on aircraft as BU-219 for example

Hadn't thought of that one, Paul, but looking at a list I have of USAAF/USAF buzz numbers, BU was not allocated, but  BA for the B-17 was. I have attached a link to the list of buzz numbers that some of you might find useful for modeling projects.

Mike

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_number

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I suspect the model is a ‘what if’.  It certainly resembles a SB-17G, but I’ve never seen one in RAF service. As far as my research over the years suggests, any Forts remaining with the RAF at the cessation of hostilities either were scrapped or returned to the US as part of the lend-lease programme and all were gone by late 1946. 

Tom

One was at Farnborough until about 1950 IIRC, but it was silver overall

Interesting shots!  I'm familiar with the Anstruther "Secret Bunker", the Scottish example of these cold war museum- but they don't have a Nuke!

Looks like a WE177 free fall weapon under that Shackleton- I must add this location to the list of spots the wife and I "Happen across" on one of our trips out.  🙂

2 hours ago, Troffa said:

Interesting shots!  I'm familiar with the Anstruther "Secret Bunker", the Scottish example of these cold war museum- but they don't have a Nuke!

Looks like a WE177 free fall weapon under that Shackleton- I must add this location to the list of spots the wife and I "Happen across" on one of our trips out.  🙂

Yes, that is a WE 177A fitted with mace lugs for fitting to a Tornado, ahh the memories.🤐

As always, thoroughly amazxed by everyones knowldge and resources of information.

If you get a chance to visit Hack Green, it is worth it. £9 entry, andI believe if you retain your ticket it's free entry for the rest of the year.

anyone who remembers the smells from the N.A.F.F.I will certainly be reminded again of the smells, and the mess furniture too.

https://hackgreen.co.uk/