Avis 1:72 American Gyro AG-4 Crusader

This one was a bit of a struggle, owing to a combination of my native impatience and the short run nature of the kit. Avis does indeed supply the cockpit/passenger window masks, but they are provided in a medium that is basically a die-cut press-on label. Not only are they difficult to get to lay down on the curved fuselage (slitting the label judiciously and pressing it in is the key here) but they are tough to get off the model once painting is complete. I usually use WD40 (silicon degreaser) to get the gunk off the plastic and add a nice little shine to the clear parts as well. But this required, shall we say, vigorous scrubbing to get it all off. 

Not the greatest of result, but it's another one in the display case. Even the photos had issues - the Alclad copper paint job acts as a light sink and makes the result darker than the original is. 

This is completed aircraft #499 (16 aircraft, 1 ordnance, 5 vehicles for the year 2018), finished in November of 2018. You’ll note that there is only one more model to go (which is already pretty much done) to hit a historic milestone in terms of my model production. Stay tuned to see which type it ends up being. 

DSC-1227.jpg

DSC-1223.jpg

• Like 20