Cessna 180 1/41st scale Mount Cook Airlines.

Finally completed it!!!!!!!!!!!  Not 100% accurate as far as markings and type go as my model is a 180 whereas Mount Cook used the 185 with larger fin area. So I am claiming artistic licence for this . Also the wheel spats are an addition because I did not want any bits left over that I could not use elsewhere.

The decals needed a fair bit of trimming and 'patching in' in a couple places. The ZK prefix( from an earlier era of NZ civvy reg application)was an addition by me for the underwing reg lettering with the Z being created from a T and a Y. The K being amongst the other lettering on the decal sheet which was doen for me by Old Models Decals of New Zealand.  The figure was in the Monogram kit and I painted him up to represent a 1960s look.

clIx14.jpg
2NDcSv.jpg

Em3kd8.jpg
TGocAp.jpg
hjW9hf.jpg
pybtzv.jpg
XqE4Gy.jpg

XwY3zb.jpg
Gn22sS.jpg
nnOef2.jpg

The upper fuselage scallop was fixed with patches from the off cuts from the fin decals. Worked out quite well I thought!  The blue wing tips are decals but the tailplane tips I painted with a mix of Humbrol 14 French blue and 33 gloss white. Got quite close to the decal colour. I also used the same mix to touch small areas to the wing tips and other places where needed.
xfNvEo.jpg
d79A8g.jpg
MUNwfg.jpg
p2yBtz.jpg
fNvaGi.jpg

• Like 20

Nice Paul, that takes me back a bit, I put a lot of pax on these when I was driving tours around these fair Isles.At  Mt Cook airport on a fine day these would be going hammer & tongs like a swarm of large noisy bees, props in fine pitch as they clawed for altitude as quick as possible, the mountains fairly reverberated to the sound of them. :) Your job catches that nicely.

Steve.

• Like 2

Top job! I was worried about the build after your decal issues on the cowling, but you recovered and have a fine model. I haven't seen very many of this kit built (I'm sorry to say I sold mine, regret it greatly now) so thanks for sharing the process and RFI with us. Great work!