My Daughter's 1/144 Scale B-17 Fortress Complete

My daughter's B-17 is done! It was started October 2017 and finished today after school. A couple of days ago, at her request, I fitted some brass rod for all the guns rather than the over thick and fragile plastic barrels. Today she got the landing gear attached, then the props and the astrodome fitted. The only other thing I might do for her is to paint the cockpit roof windows.

She's done pretty much everything herself. I did a little sanding on the bottom wing tip joint when she got bogged down by the boredom of filling and sanding to correct the poor fit of the wing halves. I also masked the glare panels for her to paint, made the props, fitted the guns and painted the non-glazed windows. The rest of my input was advice and holding things for her when needed.

She's very pleased with the finished result and we hope to take some better and possibly flying pose pictures on Friday after school or Saturday when we have some decent daylight and hopefully a blue sky.

mini_b17_41.jpg

mini_b17_50.jpg

mini_b17_35.jpg

mini_b17_36.jpg

mini_b17_39.jpg

mini_b17_40.jpg

Here's a few build pictures.

mini_b17_02.jpg

mini_b17_08.jpg

mini_b17_14.jpg

mini_b17_17.jpg

mini_b17_21.jpg

mini_b17_27.jpg

mini_b17_30.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 2

Congrats young lady - nice build. Looking forward to see your next one. And never forget: it's about having fun - and yea, maybe to show that you build at least as good as daddy in your case 😉

• Like 2

This is a super build, and your daughter should be very pleased with the result.

One thing I did notice, it looks in one picture that your daughter is using a toilet roll ( ? ) to support the kit while putting a decal on the fuselage. 

If so, that's a really inventive use of said roll!

What a great model - I love the colour scheme she choose - looks great in that silver. Love the spinning props aswell. She did a top notch job! If she's modelling to this standard now, she will be amazing in a couple of years time. That next kit looks great - a really good one to hone those painting skills...

• Like 1

What a great result. So happy for you. Dad must be a pretty good teacher.

So very intent and focused in what she ws doing...awesome!

Just look at that smile on her face with that new kit! I think us OLD FOLKS relive that

moment, even just for a few minutes, each time we get something new. 

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

Wonderful, well done!

A short story, if I may. A few (ahem) years ago I was taken on a school trip to Duxford. In the shop I spent my hard-saved pocket money on an Airfix B17G. The English teacher bet me that I couldn't make all the moving bits work.

One day I hope to hunt him down, present B17 with all working bits and demand settlement of bet. He won't guess its not the same one, right?

I'm reminded as part of the solution was to replace the barrels with brass, as your perceptive and practical daughter has worked out (rather faster than I did...)

• Like 1

That's fantastic!

Wish I had tried harder to get my daughters into (scale) modelling.

Will be keen to see how the D-Day Battlefront build turns out.

It will be great, I'm sure.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

Fabulous! Great to see kids still into the art of model making. She's done a fine job of it too, way better than mine were at that age. 

You know you need to buy her an Airfix Vulcan for Christmas!

• Like 1