Isopropyl & MRP Paints clean up question

Remodel_Remake

Hi Folks, 

Hoping I can probe your collective brains here, just got a few of the MRP paints to try & was told that 99% isopropyl alcohol was the best thing to clean out the airbrush with after spraying it.

Now I’m a bit confused as to if you spray this at fully strength or mixing it down 50/50 with water & then use a cleaner?

I do have a benchvent extractor & wear a face respirator, but atomising the full strength iso still worries me a little.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Mr Paint, the lacquer one, is my favourite paint and always use something similar to this to clean my airbrush. 

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/150ml-liquid-reamer-airbrush-cleaner-aerosol-premi-air-85kd10

Followed by a drop of Mr Color thinners, which can also be used to thin Mr Paint if you so desire. 

Thanks Tank , I’d actually forgotten I have a can of that stuff.

I’m totally new to Mr Paint I’ve been doing armour for years using a mixture of Vallejo model air & tamiya, but have recently had a desire to try my hand at 1/48 aircraft (a scale I’ve never tried) & reckoned I’d try a whole new approach with painting.

May seem a bit daft but just fancied a change & the Mr Paints seem to get great reviews.

Fingers crossed.

thanks for the help.

You're in for a treat then! Low pressure,10-15psi, pour into your airbrush and away you go. You can get nice and close when you're spraying as well. Did you know they do armour colours? 

Keep us posted how you get on. 👍

Tim.

Been using MRP  lacquers for three years, here's what I can  do with them  Clean up is cheapest cellulose thinners you can find, in my case gun wash @ 9.99 for 5 litres. If you have a cheap Chinese airbrush, said gun wash/cheap cellulose thinner will dissolve your seals , if you have an H&S, Iwata, Badger et al, they use stuff like Viton & Teflon thats compatible with nasty cellulose thinner. Have fun and remember this is super toxic so organic vapor certified mask and extractor.

Anil

Thanks Anil, 

In the past I have used Halfords cellulose thinner, & found it just too hot to work with, though believe it or not I didn’t have a spray both extractor back then... it was my crazy mid thirty’s & life was simpler.... now in my slowed down mid forty’s & armed with an extractor I’d be tempted to give it a go again.

thanks for the help

e

• Like 1