This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Mondas42

Enterprise D refit!

This is not a total WIP but more of a refit of an old model. Many years ago, at least 25, I built a kit of the Enterprise D. It was the fibre optic model and in those days I knew nothing about Aztec decals. It has been through two house moves and a few bangs and scrapes along the way. This is what it looked like up until a few days ago.

44063475350_8094f2ffd4_c.jpg

44063474520_cceef4edf7_c.jpg

30940927517_b018812e6c_c.jpg

44063470700_32319e120b_c.jpg

as you can see I didn’t paint the model from the base colour of the plastic and hand painted (badly) the aztecing.

So I decieded to revamp it. I removed the old decals, and sprayed the body a more accurate colour. I cracked open the model by leaving it in the freezer overnight to make the glue brittle so I could replace the old incandescent bulbs the model came with, with modern LEDS. I just received a new set of decals and I’ve got all the life pods to decal up! Over 400 of em!

this is what it looks before the new decals are applied.

44063472250_8c29233ec0_c.jpg

44063471360_89f7aef58d_c.jpg

30940926737_38ca32462c_c.jpg

45880184651_12525f0ecd_c.jpg

Looking pretty good. I found my old one of those out about 10 years ago. It still looked great but wasn't lit. I may well do another one day. I remember painting in all the windows with a fine brush was a real chore!

Very nice.

Nice! The updated paint job and decals look great, well worth the effort I'd say :)

sweet job!

I got my 3rd one a  month back just for myself. The other 2, builds for friends.

Looks very good, but I have to ask: how are the lights in the warp nacelles connected to the power supply. If this is the same kit as I have had in the stash for nearly 30 years (I know, I know...🙄) the pylons are both part of a single piece of the secondary hull, and there's nowhere to hide the wires. I remember seeing a description of a build in which the modeller carved a trench into the (rather thin) pylon to run the wires along and then cover it over; didn't really like the thought of that. What did you do? :huh:

I am tempted to do this wilth my Enterprise D that i built when I was 14......strip it right back and start again.

May I ask where you got the decal from please?

Um... necroposting. Sorry. 

a) Great model.

b) OMIGOD A DALEK AND IT’S FULL SIZE AAAAAAAAAAAA

But yeah, great model.