Tornado F3, kit improvement challenge.....

mackem01

Looking over my shelves I see that my last five builds have been four WW2 and a WW1 machine, so as a change and before my winter projects (two biplanes) come out

I fancy coming up to date with a Tornado F3. I have the Italeri kit no 836 to play with and I was wondering is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm not skillful

enough to do anything about shape issues and I don't want it to turn into a money pit but what could I do to improve the beast?. Any advice much appreciated,

T.I.A......

How up to date do you want it (eg at end of service) ?

Without spending a fortune on aftermarket bits you could improve its look with new decals and it is worth replacing the ejector seats as they are readily seen.

As the aircraft went through its service such things as chaff/flare dispensers were fitted and the outer wing pylons were fitted too. Missiles also changed.

There have been a few builds in here so have a look through the WIP for some inspiration.

Check the canopy. If I remember correctly, the central canopy arch was in the wrong location in early kit releases - too far aft. Pavla did a replacement canopy, but I don't know about its availability. Later on, the canopy was revised and should be OK.

In addition to the 1990/91 fitting of Chaff/Flare dispensers scabbed onto the drop-down underfuselage engine access doors there were some other gradual changes later on from fairly early in the 21st. century.

The twin UHF aerials on the spine were deleted and a flat white disc shaped GPS aerial fitted , the position light behind there and below the rear fuselage were changed from coloured lights to clear strobes and BOL countermeasure dispensers/missile launch rails were fitted to the inside shoulder positions on the inner pylons.

The missile load changed from Skyflash to AMRAAM on the underfuselage stations and from AIM-9 Sidewinder to ASRAAM on the shoulder rails and RAIDS was introduced as a training aid.

QRA fit was up to 4 X AMRAAM , 4 X ASRAAM and big tanks and in a war zone could be complemented by the activation of the outer wing pylons with a BOZ pod carrying a TRD to port and Phimat to starboard. 

Training fit was 1 x RAIDS on the outer starboard shoulder rail, 1 x ASRAAM training round on the port outer rail and depending on need/availability , big tanks, little tanks or no tanks, when carried the tanks could be in a variety of colour schemes and not always matched.

Also worth checking if a particular aircraft being modeled at a specific time had the original round Environmental Control System vent on the port spine behind the cockpit or the square one for the enhanced ECS.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Italeri F.3 is not a bad kit but could do with several improvements. The cockpit is maybe the first area that would deserve the addition of some better detail, the seats are not really detailed and the rest is even worse. The side consolles in particular are pretty poor. Eduard used to have a very nice PE sheet that addressed all issues but it's long OOP. Pavla have resin seats that are very cheap, not as good as other manufacturers' but if you're on a budget they look the part. Of couse improvements in the cockpit can also be added with plasticard and rod, depends on how eager you are to scratchbuild details.

The kit also lacks external details, for example the outles on the rear right fuselage. Panel lines could do with some enhancement as they tend to disappear in some areas, particularly on the fuselage sides. Most aerials are too thick, better replace them with plasticard. The landing gear may be a bit on the skinny side and the wheels are not really the best around. Aeroclub had a white metal replacement, not sure how easy to find it is now.

Italeri decals are nothing special, an aftermarket sheet will be very useful

• Like 1

While rummaging in the loft today I have found a second F3...............dual build maybe🤔🤔. While doing some research on the subject of ejection set I find mention

of early and late style Mk10 seats. The difference seems to be the size of the headbox - is there much difference??

OK - so I've decided to go for the dual build! The subjects will be ZH555/CV of 5sqn, marked as an anniversary machine in 1996. Also thanks to the generosity if

Scimitar who has passed on some spare decals, the second contender will be ZE809/EZ, 23sqn's 75th anniversary Tonka (1990). This then leads me to another

couple of questions.........does anyone know what grey colours they were painted at the time, and do those colours have equivalents in Humbrol enamels or rattle

cans? I hope you chaps will stick with me along the way as I never knew there was such a gap in my knowledge and I may have to summon the hive mind a few

more times yet,

Thanks in advance..........

• Like 1

Both of these machines will be Barley grey on top and light aircraft grey underneath, both standard humbrol shades 166, 167,

Medium sea 165 can be used for the nose cone, wing swept area, cockpit, and seat frame. The actual shades are slightly different but medium sea is a good catch all

Regards

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have drooled over the AM stuff and purchasing said is not a problem but I like to go rogue every now and then and see what I can do with the kit and what I have in the spares box. I have started the preliminaries and I'll start a WIP when it gets more interesting. I have allowed myself to have new schemes though and one of them may get a nose job!?! All that having bee said, the carpet monster has drawn first blood so I am now in need of a couple of main wheels:oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Halfords Grey primer is a fair medium sea grey.

Halfords Ford Polar Grey works for Barley grey.

Halfords Racking Grey works for Lt Aircraft grey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the advice At Sea. I've actually just been outside to spray the innards white as it's the first chance I've had. I have the nose of the Italeri kit together and I'm

progressing that tonight, then it will be the turn of Airfix next week. I'll start an WIP and get some pics up this week.