100 Years Of The RAF - part-work with diecast models

Des

I came across Part 1 of the above in my local WH Smith today published by Idealistic Ltd. and copyrighted to Amercom who produce the 1/72, 1/100 or 1/144 scale diecast model included with each 16 page  issue , website is at - www.100yearsoftheraf.com - which at the moment contains little more information than comes with Part 1.

Part 1 at a cost of 2.99 is for the Supermarine Spitfire with 1/72 diecast ( or Spitfier as printed on the magazine although the website recognises this and makes provision for misprinted copies to be replaced )

Part 2 at a cost of 4.99 is for the Handley Page Halifax with a 1/144 diecast

Part 3 at the regular issue cost of 9.99 is for the Avro Vulcan and Part 4 would seem to be for the Boeing B-17 both with 1/144 diecasts.

From looking at the model included in Part 1 and the advert for the following three all would seem to be the same models in the same colour schemes and markings as previously released by Amercom in their Fighter Aircraft and Giants of the Sky collections which raises some questions regarding the series title '100 Years Of The RAF'.

Of the 4 models shown the B-17 retains the US Army colour scheme from its earlier release , some of the other models from these earlier series were similarly for aircraft that the RAF had operated but were supplied by Amercom in other liveries.

Stated scales for the forthcoming range are 1/72 , 1/100 and 1/144 and of these the Fighter Collection models were supplied in 1/72 and 1/100 whereas the Giants of the Sky were in 1/144 and 1/200 with aircraft such as the C-17 and Argosy (both in RAF Colours) E-3 and C-130 (in USAF colours) being in 1/200 and so presumably not part of this new series.

Quality in both series varied widely but some were great value for the cost charged including some very nicely rigged biplanes and it is always possible that as the series progresses some of the models in other liveries might be given more appropriate RAF colour schemes.

I have the Amercon Halifax (at least I think that's what it is) and it is a bargain at £4.99.  If it is the Merlin engined Bomber Command version then I haven't got it  - ok, I've checked the website and it is the Mk.III French example shown - but a Merlin-engined one of the SOE on the cover so who knows?  I do have that.  It is not the nicest Halifax diecast but needs little more than a few extra guns adding.   Even at £9.99 a Vulcan would be worth adding to "the collection".  I wish that someone would do a Halton, but clearly not in this collection!

The fifth one is going to be a Hurricane.  A look at the rest of the range suggests some interesting options, but sadly I don't know of any RAF Bloch 210...

PS if anyone does have access to a Merlin Halifax diecast in BC colours, do tell.

• 3 weeks later...

1/144 is very much my thing, so I do hope I can find some of these.  The Amercom Halifax, Wellington, Whitley and Stirling are very good efforts and lend themselves well to repainting and extra detailing.

I missed out on the Maryland last time these kits were released, so hopefully I can snag one this time around!

Sucessfully liberated the surviving example from the shelves of WHS in Preston centre.  It isn't the French example shown but Friday 13th, so a full set of guns.  However I hope to turn it into a postwar transport, so any advice on removing the top turret with minimal damage is welcome.

Picked up issue 3 today from WH Smith with a 1/144 scale model of the Vulcan B.2.

Other than an aerial plinth between both pairs of engines it is the same model of XH558 as with their Giants of the Sky Collection right down to the blue coloured serial on the tail but not so nearly well put together as first time round.

Flying Fortress is the next issue in two weeks time and the image shown has changed from the US example seen in the publicity leaflet included with issue 1 to an RAF  'BU" coded 214 Squadron example in Green/Brown over Black , 1/72 Hurricane follows two weeks after that.

I went looking again in Deepdale in the hope of getting another cheap Hali, no luck there but did actually find where in the shop I should have been looking the week before... curses.  There was a bin full of Vulcans from which I liberated one, and agree with Des that it isn't particularly well put together.  I shall perhaps try some superglue and clothes pegs in the outer wing halves, but one of the intake areas is just plain poor.  Notably showing in the low winter sunlight, the grey is gloss but the green matt.

Despite having made up a pannier, I decided against major surgery on the Hali (which i why another is needed) and will do a WW2 SEAC ECM one, which only needs a bit of black paint (done) and some roundels, with an extra SF loop under the fuselage.  I'll have to ignore the serial (tut tut!) and model it before the nose art was added.

After spelling mistakes , USAAF markings and rehashing the previous series models . Gloss for matt paint or the other way 'round. The magazine isn't really going to add to my stash of books and mags .  I'll give it a miss .

Depends what comes, and if is it re-workable.  I don't see myself as a regular buyer either, but worth checking now and again.  Now I'm older, they could be a way of getting subjects that are on my want list but I'd never otherwise get around to.  (Looks like I've missed the chance of lots of Halis... but the more interesting ones do require too much conversion, which is easier starting from a kit.)   I can see myself interested in an RAF Dakota, for example.

15 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Looks like I've missed the chance of lots of Halis...

My newsagent once explained that with these part-work series he normally gets the first few issues sale or return without asking for them with the previous issue being recalled before the next one comes out but after the first few he has to order issues specially for customers who have placed an order and has only a limited time to return them if not sold which is why some months after the event some newsagents have a pile of various part-work issues going cheap as they attempt to recoup some of their loss when customers with orders let them down.     On the other hand it does seem that my local WH Smith gets one or two shelf issues in for some series long-after the initial promotion period so possibly they have a different deal going on.

Although their website -   www.100yearsoftheraf.com   - is not set up for it at present perhaps back issues of the series might become available later although the shop link on their website presently goes straight to the Amercom website which has a Halifax that seems to be "Friday the Thirteenth' available for 15.40 Euros from Poland.

Don't know if it was showing previously but the website now reads that there will only be 12 issues in the series and with five issues already accounted for and the Dakota, Lancaster , Wellington, Valiant and Stirling in 1/144 scale ; Meteor, Hunter, Lightning, Jaguar, Tornado GR.4 and Typhoon in 1/100 scale ; Hawk , SE.5a , Bristol Bulldog , Vampire and Gladiator in 1/72 scale still available in RAF markings via Amercom from previous series (some of which were pretty poor first time round) already exceeding that number  it will be interesting to see if they introduce any new models or different colour schemes for existing ones.

Vulcan and Valiant but no Victor.  Rude comments on their taste.

I'm not short of sources that will sell me Halifax diecasts for £15, but picking a few up for a fiver was another matter.

Of the ones listed I will be tempted by the Dak as I'm currently working on the Hasegawa 1/200 and the Roden 1/144, so an RAF one would fit in nicely.  A Valiant might go with the Vulcan and the Corgi Victor I've got.  I've never made a Stirling:  I've had the Airfix one for fifty years but it was such an awful design I've never found the heart to make it (not blaming Airfix there...)  I have been tempted to do one as perhaps it should have been - ie a shorter fuselage and sensible undercarriage - which might even move up the schedule if I do get a 1/144 version.  The rest I can miss.

Unfortunately the Victor has never been covered by Amercom , the Valiant if it appears in the series is good for the price although the upper wing to fuselage joint is a bit obvious and the underside of the wings sit a little proud.

Unless they come up with anything different in the seven models still to be announced I doubt that I will be buying any more of them but no problem to pop into my local WH Smith every second Monday to morning to see what appears. 

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post this yesterday but latest issue was in WH Smith ,  'BU" coded 214 Squadron Flying Fortress in Green/Brown over Black which looked very nice but not my area of interest so didn't buy , this issues comes with a free binder.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems to have slowed down over the holidays but has started again with the official release date for Part 5 being today with the 1/72 Hurricane previously released in their 'Fighter Aircraft Collection'. 

Part 6 follows on 30th. January with the 1/144 617 Squadron Grand Slam carrying Lancaster that has been previously released in their 'Giant Aircraft' series.

They are now saying that the series will end after 9 parts rather than the twelve mentioned earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked their website again and the series will now conclude after 8 issues so perhaps not too popular series/choice of subject.

Issue 6 with the Hurricane in the same markings as previously issued in their Fighter Collection is due out this week and the covers for the final two parts are now showing on the website with Part 7 having a camouflaged 1/72 Mustang and Part 8 a 1/144 Liberator in Coastal Command colours which both look like new schemes on existing models.