Bedford QLC, Bomber Command?

Dan_RAFBC

Hi all,

Another question, were Bedford QLC tankers used by Bomber Command? I know that the volume of fuel carried was less than a Matador and heavy bombers took a lot of fuel but where they ever used on aircraft such as Whitleys, Wellingtons or Mosquito's etc...

Thanks,

Dan

Theres a good photo of a Wellington OCU and the tankers there are AECs.  I suspect that this was a matter of standardising.  The RAF used the fixed wheel base QL (Airfix kit) version for fighters: there are photos of these in 2 TAF markings on the Continent but possibly not enough to confirm their use on the twins, but I suspect so.  I've seen no photos of the AEC in a similar role.

The Army also used the OX tractor/trailer conbination: I wonder if this or indeed the fixed-wheelbase tanker was also used by the RAF overseas?

34 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Theres a good photo of a Wellington OCU and the tankers there are AECs.  I suspect that this was a matter of standardising.  The RAF used the fixed wheel base QL (Airfix kit) version for fighters: there are photos of these in 2 TAF markings on the Continent but possibly not enough to confirm their use on the twins, but I suspect so.  I've seen no photos of the AEC in a similar role.

The Army also used the OX tractor/trailer conbination: I wonder if this or indeed the fixed-wheelbase tanker was also used by the RAF overseas?

29 minutes ago, Vicarage Vee said:

http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7150

Not Bomber Command, not in UK... but it is a twin.... so quite a way from what you wanted!

Thank you for the help, looks like I’ll have some spare Bedford QLCs then 😄

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

There are at least three different versions of the QL tanker that you can do, but there are lots of other options.  See Milicast for some conversions.

Some nice products but some big prices for the one vehicle 😲

They are good, saw them at Telford, but I'm not ready to but £50 into converting some Bedfords 😅