Hawker Typhoon Mk.1b Car Door Hasegawa 1/48

I've recently made a start on this kit, doing a little bit while working on the Hobby Boss Typhoon.

20181111_184634

I'll be building the 175 Sqn. aircraft depicted on the boxart, a decision solely based on the fact it was called Dirty Dora. 😁

A couple of additions to what is in the box.

20181111_184650

Some masks...

20181111_184801

Cockpit assembled and painted...

20181111_184711

20181111_184703

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 11

You are off to a very good start.

I'm almost ready to start decalling the blown hood version of the same kit. It goes together well, with a little care needed for the fuselage inserts.

6 minutes ago, Amo Aero said:

You are off to a very good start.

I'm almost ready to start decalling the blown hood version of the same kit. It goes together well, with a little care needed for the fuselage inserts.

Thanks very much. Ive also got the bubbletop version.

I was a bit concerned about the fuselage inserts to be honest but as you say with a bit of care and some careful sanding it was actually quite painless. A lot easier than I was expecting after reading some horror stories online.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Already in my seat :popcorn:

Glad to have you here Dennis.

53 minutes ago, propforward said:

Nice! I'm working on this exact kit as well, with some different extras. Looking firward to seeing yours progress and getting some tips along the way. Looking great so far!

Thank you. I think (hope) once the fuselage inserts are in place and evened off it's pretty plain sailing. 🤞

Nice so far. Are you going to display it in open or closed cockpit position?

As I have the same kit I'd like to know the exact order of painting the cockpit, if someone will be so kind. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

- the tubular frame is aluminium

- the pilot's seat is aluminium

- the rudder pedals are aluminium

- the instrument panel is black

- the armored back plate is black

- the fuselage sides are in British interior green.

Thank you!

Josip

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Josip said:

Nice so far. Are you going to display it in open or closed cockpit position?

As I have the same kit I'd like to know the exact order of painting the cockpit, if someone will be so kind. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

- the tubular frame is aluminium

- the pilot's seat is aluminium

- the rudder pedals are aluminium

- the instrument panel is black

- the armored back plate is black

- the fuselage sides are in British interior green.

Thank you!

Josip

Thanks Josip. The plan at the moment is to have the cockpit open.

My findings ref. the cockpit were the same as yours but also found an interior green seat besides aluminium ones.

12 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Ooh I'll be watching this as I've got this very kit on the list to do down the line Roger. Looking superb thus far.

What squadron are you thinking of doing her as?

Thanks Smithy. It will be 175 Sqn. 

• Like 1

Looking great - just finished the same kit. Heads up - the attachment of the wheels to the legs is rather odd, at least I thought. Took a bit of care and time to get them set straight. The only other difficulty I found was the upper fuselage inserts, as mentioned already. I must say, I failed to get one side flush, and had to insert a bit of a filet of plasticard along the centreline. 

Anyway - it's a great kit, and looking forward to seeing what you do with it. So far so great! 

Edited by bruce bay
made error
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bruce bay said:

Looking great - just finished the same kit. Heads up - the attachment of the wheels to the legs is rather odd, at least I thought. Took a bit of care and time to get them set straight. The only other difficulty I found was the upper fuselage inserts, as mentioned already. I must say, I failed to get one side flush, and had to insert a bit of a filet of plasticard along the centreline. 

I don't believe that was your mistake. I took a lot of care to get the inserts fitting flush to the fuselage contours--that left a gap between the fuselage halves when they were mated together. The way the insert parts are designed, I don't see how it could be otherwise. It's a simple fix--some plastic card inserted in the resulting "slot", glued with some liquid cement, then trimmed with a sharp blade--done.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bruce bay said:

Anyway - it's a great kit, and looking forward to seeing what you do with it. So far so great! 

1 hour ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

Cockpit looks great Roger - this is shaping up to be very nice 👍 

1 hour ago, Amo Aero said:

I don't believe that was your mistake. I took a lot of care to get the inserts fitting flush to the fuselage contours--that left a gap between the fuselage halves when they were mated together. The way the insert parts are designed, I don't see how it could be otherwise. It's a simple fix--some plastic card inserted in the resulting "slot", glued with some liquid cement, then trimmed with a sharp blade--done.

Thanks very much gentlemen. I've made a note of the attachment of the wheels to the legs and I've dry fitted the fuselage halves together and can see the gap you refer to so that won't come as a nasty surprise. I have a plastic yogurt pot, sharp knife and glue at the ready.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Christer A said:

Finally there is a thread for this! 😍

You're off to a good start I'd say, really liking the beaten look of the cockpit!

Thanks Christer. I wanted to reach the almost done stage with the Hobby Boss Typhoon before starting a thread on this build.

There's  also another piece of news for for you..... a 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito is waiting for me at home. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looking very nice indeed. Seems there are many of us with one of these lovely kits (myself included, thanks to fellow BM'er Colin). I shall follow along and learn more about this graceful beast.

I picked up the CMK Engine resin at SMW once I'd got the kit from Colin and have since decided to add the CMK cockpit, the Eduard PE upgrade and TechMod's decals for Roland Beamont's mount. Also gonna add ICM's RAF Personnel to make it all into an engine maintenance diorama for a workmate.

Kev

• Like 2

Thanks Kev.

You're project sounds like a good plan. I saw the ICM figures in the flesh without knowing what they were for the first time a couple of weeks ago and thought they were resin. I've nothing against injection plastic figures and not some kind is resin snob but they really are a cut above what I've seen before.

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

Cockpit in.

20181115_140558

And in the starboard half a small strip of yogurt pot plastic which should assist in filling the gap which is left when the fuselage halves are joined.

This is seriously shaping up to be a goodie Roger ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Smithy, I hope you're right.

Fuselage halves joined. I tried rescribing the panel lines that have been lost when smoothing the fuselage insert, not altogether successful without the right tool and being on a moving ship doesnt help much either.

20181115_205227

20181115_205245

Edited by Roger Newsome
  • Like 6

I'd forgotten that you've doing your modelling at sea Roger, even more impressive!

Even though I've tentatively started a Tomahawk for my next build all this Tiffie talk had me getting the Airfix Tiffie out of the stash just earlier for a look-see.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'd forgotten that you've doing your modelling at sea Roger, even more impressive!

Even though I've tentatively started a Tomahawk for my next build all this Tiffie talk had me getting the Airfix Tiffie out of the stash just earlier for a look-see.

I don't know quite what it is about this aircraft but by the time I've finished a build my mind and interest has usually drifted onto something else. It's not happening with the Tiffy, this is my fourth in a row. 😃

• Like 3