Airfix 1/72 Spitfire IIa Conversion

Hi all,

Here is my 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Ia which I've converted to a IIa using the 3D-Kits conversion set. Markings are for 485(NZ) Sqn in the summer 1941 and this was the usual mount of Battle of Britain veteran Athol Gordon MacIntyre. This was a great fun build and one of the best Airfix models I've made, a real delight. There's photographic and anecdotal evidence to suggest that 485s Spit IIs and Vs may have carried white spinners so that was the choice for me and it made for a slightly different appearance from the norm which I really like.

Two things, it needs the IFF antennae but I can't find the smoke coloured invisible thread. Once I do I'll add them. The photos have also shown that the starboard stabiliser needs a little extra matt varnish as it's picking up the light a little too much.

Paints are Humbrol enamels, gloss coat is Pledge, matt varnish Humbrol, decals are a mix of kit, 3D-Kits, Carpena and Xtradecal.

The lighting is not the best so I'll endeavour to take so better lit ones tomorrow but I was just so chuffed to finish I thought I'd share some quick snaps.

Build thread is here: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235044844-airfix-172-spitfire-iia-485nz-sqn/

It's by no means perfect and there's a few things which in hindsight I could have done better but then, that's what the next model is for! Anyway I hope you enjoy the pics.

xHrBEBG.jpg

9LcsYwM.jpg

8GSTqwC.jpg

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Once I do I'll add them

I am not sure that the Mk.II had a wire...check here..

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Nice work indeed!  Good job on the weathering.  A well-loved aircraft for sure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words and the likes chaps, it's much appreciated.

One other thing I've just noticed, in my haste I've forgotten the wing tip navigation lights!

And KM, thanks and I reckon you must be due a Spit about now. The weathering is a sludge wash, brown and black chalk pastels and an artists silver pencil for the paint chipping. I used to use silver/aluminium paint but a fellow I know put me onto the artists pencil thing and I really like it, plus it's a jolly sight easier than faffing around with paint ;)

Edited by Smithy

38 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I used to use silver/aluminium paint but a fellow I know put me onto the artists pencil thing and I really like it, plus it's a jolly sight easier than faffing around with paint ;)

And makes for a much more subtle and realistic effect too.

Lovely Spit Smithy. You've got a nice grubby but understated look to the paintwork.

Ian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

And KM, thanks and I reckon you must be due a Spit about now. The weathering is a sludge wash, brown and black chalk pastels and an artists silver pencil for the paint chipping. I used to use silver/aluminium paint but a fellow I know put me onto the artists pencil thing and I really like it, plus it's a jolly sight easier than faffing around with paint ;)

The silver pencil is great - you get so much better control and the results are nicer I think - also you can rub out any mistakes with a pencil eraser - which I nearly always have to do:) I did build a spit earlier this year (was model #2) which didn't come out that great - I was still learning the ropes of modelling. I've since ordered an Eduard Spitfire (Mk IXe) so there will definitely be one appearing in WIP in the not too distant future... this is what happens when you browse the Hannents website after a few beers:) 

• Like 1

Thanks Ian, Hairtrigger and Steve, much appreciated fellas!

And KM, I've warned you about the beer and Hannants combination - an enjoyable but ultimately dangerous mix ;)

I thought I'd also add this link, some rather good Pathe wartime footage of 485 from summer 1941. Spit action from 0:43